Final Military Move

lucky208

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
So, those that have finalized their separation did the military move you for your final move. Does your listed home of record (HOR) have an effect on if the military moved you? I'm currently in my HOR but wondering if we decide to move elsewhere will the military pay/ offset the moving expenses. Thanks.

You’re entitled to a final move for retirement. I’m not sure about a regular separation. I moved across the country for mine. No issues at all.

Clarification: For those that didn't reach the 20 years/ did the military pay for final move.

Lucky,
Ref: https://www.dfas.mil/militarymembers/travelpay/armypcs/endofmilitaryservice.html DFAS Info

SEPARATING:
You must complete your travel before the 181st day (6 months) after your Separation Date on your orders. Your travel is limited to your Home of Record (HOR) or your Place Entering Active Duty (PLEAD). ["Travel is limited to..." = Not to exceed the costs for HOR or PLEAD.]

RETIRING:
You must complete your home of selection (HOS) travel one year from the retirement date on your orders. Your travel is not limited to your HOR or PLEAD. You may claim travel to any location within the U.S. you are planning to reside after retiring.

Comment: The above is somewhat general. Recommend reviewing the info provided at the links below.

PCS Entitlements for Separating or Retiring Military Service Members

Monetary Allowance in Lieu of Transportation (MALT)
Plus (Per Diem)
Dependent Travel
Personally Procured Moves (PPM)
Advance Payments

Ron

@RonG nailed the deadlines. One addition, those deadline are waiverable. But do so before the deadline passes, not after. the waiver goes to the Chief, TMO on your installation.

Check with TMO. I am being medically separated and was authorized to have my things moved to my home of selection

@Force10 so you are not retiring but being medically separated and are still being offered a military move that is not your home of record/ or where you entered active duty?

Just reviewed the DFAS site that @RonG provided which was as he indicated but before I contact the transportation office I have additional questions. Pending outcomes from this process I'm tracking 3 scenarios for those not obtaining 20 years.

1. Severance Pay: Means service member is separating not retiring. "You must complete your travel before the 181st day (6 months) after your Separation Date on your orders. And, your travel is limited to your Home of Record (HOR) or your Place Entering Active Duty (PLEAD)".
  2. TDRL: Not sure what this category is considered. Is that considered retiring or separating/ does the military provide a final move in this category?
  3. PDRL: Means the service member is retiring: "You must complete your home of selection (HOS) travel one year from the retirement date on your orders. Your travel is not limited to your HOR or PLEAD. You may claim travel to any location within the U.S. you are planning to reside after retiring".
Seems like those receiving TDRL may be in a grey area?

Just reviewed the DFAS site that @RonG provided which was as he indicated but before I contact the transportation office I have additional questions. Pending outcomes from this process I'm tracking 3 scenarios for those not obtaining 20 years.
  1. Severance Pay: Means service member is separating not retiring. "You must complete your travel before the 181st day (6 months) after your Separation Date on your orders. And, your travel is limited to your Home of Record (HOR) or your Place Entering Active Duty (PLEAD)".
  2. TDRL: Not sure what this category is considered. Is that considered retiring or separating/ does the military provide a final move in this category?
  3. PDRL: Means the service member is retiring: "You must complete your home of selection (HOS) travel one year from the retirement date on your orders. Your travel is not limited to your HOR or PLEAD. You may claim travel to any location within the U.S. you are planning to reside after retiring".
Seems like those receiving TDRL may be in a grey area?
Bottom line is that being placed onto the DoD military TDRL from completion of the DoD IDES process is consider as a military retirement with full benefits of a regular military retirement regardless of the numbers of years completed for military length of service.

As such, the military (e.g., your specific branch of service) should provide a final move at no cost to the medically retiring military service member placed on the TDRL as supported by the DFAS "RETIRING" comments annotated in @RonG's reply #4 message above. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Great question for it is near and dear to my PRDL effective date of 1JAN2019, yet I am a guardsman and have a current house at HOR. Yet my desire is to move to Florida within the next two years and I don't want to leave money on the table if I can legally use it. I have been doing some research yet had come up empty. The information and links provided in this thread will be a great help. Again thanks for all of the sharing of information. Ron P

@Force10 so you are not retiring but being medically separated and are still being offered a military move that is not your home of record/ or where you entered active duty?
Correct! I went to TMO and it was smooth sailing! I am staying in my local area which is only about 10 min from base. I was still authorized for them to move me or I could’ve waited a year just in case I wanted to go to my Home of record.

From memory: The authorization is to provide transportation/payment to any location not to exceed the cost to move one to their home of record or place entered active duty.

Ron

From memory: The authorization is to provide transportation/payment to any location not to exceed the cost to move one to their home of record or place entered active duty.

Ron

That's what I've been told as well, which makes sense. My HOR is in California, and I'm moving to West Virginia, so I'm in the same boat (I'm still waiting to see if I seperate or retire). I believe there is an option to just pay the difference.

For separating service members with less than 8 years of continuous active duty: The government will only pay the cost of moving your belongings to your home of record (HOR) or your Place Entering Active Duty (PLEAD).
You can still move somewhere else, however you will be responsible any additional costs above what it would have cost to move your entire weight allowance to your HOR or PLEAD.
For retirees or separating service members with more than 8 years of continuous active duty: The government may cover the cost of relocating you to your home of selection (HOS), anywhere within the United States, depending upon your type of discharge. Contact your local personal property office for more information.

See Last Move LINK <—-

Ron