Final PCS Move Question

Captain

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
So, I am just beginning the process of MEB, I am AGR and my packet has not yet been sent to my nearest active duty installation to actually start MEB.

This question may seem premature, but wondering about my final PCS move.

Will the Army pay to PCS me to a different location in the same city I live in now? I am considering getting a psychiatric service dog or emotional service animal for PTSD/MDD, and currently live in a no pet place. Fair housing act won't cover me because I live in a duplex and my research says fair housing will only let me get a pet in a no pet place if it is a place with 4 or more units.

Not planning on moving out of the city I currently live in, but will want to move after my medical retirement due to this, and financially it would obviously be better if the military pays for that.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or can you guide me to a regulation covering this. I could ask when I get to that point in this process, but anyone with PTSD can attest to uncertainty about - well, just about anything - is a trigger. Please let me know.

Thanks

I think an option would be to have your household goods picked up and placed in temp storage on their dime, then give them your new address shortly after your goods are picked up. Maybe somebody else can verify if this one way to handle this circumstance.

It wouldn't be a PCS move, it would be a retirement or ETS move. Either way, yes, the Army will pay for your final move. As I understand it, they will pay for a move as far as your home of record or less.

Check out this site for further info. ---> https://corpweb1.dfas.mil/askDFAS/askArmyTravel.jsp

Interesting...well, I have no idea how that would work.

I just got done with the Army out-processing for PDRL retirement.

On my retirement orders, it says I am authorized a Movement to Home Station of Choice.

If you are authorized, then I would contact the JPSSO (sp?) and ask if a retirement move also covers an inter-city relocation, too.

I was stationed at my home, but still get the option of relocating, due to my retirement being from the Big Army.

If the big Army retires you (TDRL/TDRL), then generally, you also have the right to a "retirement" move, too.

Let us know the answer, please. There are lots of Wounded Warriors who are living at home, but may need to downsize. Maybe they don't need to move 1,000 miles. Maybe they only need to move a few miles to a place they can manage, or to a place that will accomodate their medical help needs.

And I was not restricted to any miles at all. I just have to find a place within the Continental US as I was not born outside the lower 48. So I can move anywhere within the lower 48 - no problem! (somewhere warmer for me, please!)

That's why I'm selecting San Antonio, Texas - 2,300 miles from my Home of Record.

nwlivewire

I just got done with the Army out-processing for PDRL retirement.

On my retirement orders, it says I am authorized a Movement to Home Station of Choice.

If you are authorized, then I would contact the JPSSO (sp?) and ask if a retirement move also covers an inter-city relocation, too.

I was stationed at my home, but still get the option of relocating, due to my retirement being from the Big Army.

If the big Army retires you (TDRL/TDRL), then generally, you also have the right to a "retirement" move, too.

Let us know the answer, please. There are lots of Wounded Warriors who are living at home, but may need to downsize. Maybe they don't need to move 1,000 miles. Maybe they only need to move a few miles to a place they can manage, or to a place that will accomodate their medical help needs.

And I was not restricted to any miles at all. I just have to find a place within the Continental US as I was not born outside the lower 48. So I can move anywhere within the lower 48 - no problem! (somewhere warmer for me, please!)

That's why I'm selecting San Antonio, Texas - 2,300 miles from my Home of Record.

nwlivewire

Well I'd Like to move to San Antonio (weather, taxes, base close by) but I still have family here..... I just don't want to use my VA Adaptive Services Grant yet and need to find a single level no basement/second floor and would like to upgrade to closer to the university where I will be in a think tank on Veteran Issues and Domestic policy. I just want to drive a golf cart to work with my
service dog :D

Well I'd Like to move to San Antonio (weather, taxes, base close by) but I still have family here..... I just don't want to use my VA Adaptive Services Grant yet and need to find a single level no basement/second floor and would like to upgrade to closer to the university where I will be in a think tank on Veteran Issues and Domestic policy. I just want to drive a golf cart to work with my
service dog :D

Roger. For me, my son (disabled VA Vet) is grown, has a significant g/f, and I am a widow. So nothing is holding me here. Taxes are lower for me in Texas (NO state tax on military retirement - no state tax on earned income, either). If you are 100% VA rated, you would also be eligible for a ZERO property tax rate on your primary residence in Texas. All you have to do is move there - matters not where you enlisted or anything. Just need to be rated 100% VA and honorable discharge. That's a few thousand in your pocket every year with no property tax. Makes a home as cheap or cheaper than rent and you get the Fed tax deductions the on home mortgage interest, too. That's something I'll do in 5 years or so - use my VA home loan and build a duplex - rent one out, live in the other - and get a 50% Texas property tax break (can get 1/2 off property tax on a duplex as you are only living 1/2 the units). I can use the VA home Loan and waive the funding fee, and have the duplex designed and built with all the "age in place" items I'll need like a walk-in shower, grab bars, tall toilets, wide doorways, etc.

I hope you find what you need and school goes very well for you!

nwlivewire

Thanks nwlivewire, you two ;)

Hmmm...I've looked this one up and it seems iffy. I am probably going to lose my board appeals. However I have over 7200 points which qualifies me for a 20 year AD retirement? Does that permit me then one final move as this will be an ETS? Thanks in advance - Smitty

I checked the site out and it seemed to only speak to Army Travel pay...