Finally!!! But don't think it changes much, does it?

ChefSal54

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
After 3 pestering e-mails I got a secure E-mail with my results and an apology for not receiving my determination.

Unless Im wrong, this result won't change anything for me regarding money or retirement.

They acknowledged they screwed up and changed my left knee condition from 10% to 20% with no recharacterization of separation.

I'm not getting anymore money from what the standard severance pay I received was, am I? The Severance pay formula has nothing to do with the % amount right? That rating only helps with you the VA right? I was rated at 20% from the VA right out the gate, then 30, 40, 60, the subsequent years later.

I'm happy, relieved, but unless there is any direct benefit to me, should I be happy? Thanks to all

-Seaman Carrano
PDBR was accepted February 2017 and finished January 2020

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Re: "I'm not getting anymore money from what the standard severance pay I received was, am I? "

You will not receive additional severance pay under the circumstances you described.

From DFAS:

"Disability severance pay is a one-time lump sum payment. The amount equals 2 months of basic pay for each year of service which includes active service and inactive duty points, but the total service years cannot exceed 19 years. Additionally, the minimum number of years required for computation purposes is six years for a disability incurred in the line of duty in a combat zone, or 3 years in the case of any other member. Prior to January 28, 2008, a maximum of 12 years and minimum of three years creditable service was used."

Ron

ChefSal54

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I read that too and I just don't understand why on earth they giving you a rating if you're under 30% then?

I can't imagine that the only reason would be is for the VA to try to determine what % to rate you. Because with severance pay 0%, 10%, 20% don't matter? That just can't be and/ or doesn't make sense.

Re: "I'm not getting anymore money from what the standard severance pay I received was, am I? "

You will not receive additional severance pay under the circumstances you described.

From DFAS:

"Disability severance pay is a one-time lump sum payment. The amount equals 2 months of basic pay for each year of service which includes active service and inactive duty points, but the total service years cannot exceed 19 years. Additionally, the minimum number of years required for computation purposes is six years for a disability incurred in the line of duty in a combat zone, or 3 years in the case of any other member. Prior to January 28, 2008, a maximum of 12 years and minimum of three years creditable service was used."

Ron

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Re: "I read that too and I just don't understand why on earth they giving you a rating if you're under 30% then?
I can't imagine that the only reason would be is for the VA to try to determine what % to rate you. Because with severance pay 0%, 10%, 20% don't matter? That just can't be and/ or doesn't make sense. "

I believe it is as simple as, the initial rating was 10% and the PDBR determined that it should have been 20%. The Veterans Affairs Schedule for Rating Disabilities (VASRD) is the law that determines exactly what percentage (or “rating”) a particular condition of a certain seriousness is given.

I doubt that board members consider, "What can we do to ensure the veteran receives more money?" Evidently, they saw 10% was incorrect and recommended it be elevated to 20% in accordance with the VASRD.

The only reason it was changed was that (reportedly) the initial rating was inaccurate.

Good luck,
Ron

visserjr3

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
After 3 pestering e-mails I got a secure E-mail with my results and an apology for not receiving my determination.

Unless Im wrong, this result won't change anything for me regarding money or retirement.

They acknowledged they screwed up and changed my left knee condition from 10% to 20% with no recharacterization of separation.

I'm not getting anymore money from what the standard severance pay I received was, am I? The Severance pay formula has nothing to do with the % amount right? That rating only helps with you the VA right? I was rated at 20% from the VA right out the gate, then 30, 40, 60, the subsequent years later.

I'm happy, relieved, but unless there is any direct benefit to me, should I be happy? Thanks to all

-Seaman Carrano

Chef,
I know it doesn't lead to the retirement you were hoping for. I am glad however you have an answer. I know being Coast Guard, the challenges were greater for you with regards to status and all. I wish you all the best!

John

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Hello,

Re: I'm not getting anymore money from what the standard severance pay I received was, am I? The Severance pay formula has nothing to do with the % amount right? That rating only helps with you the VA right? I was rated at 20% from the VA right out the gate, then 30, 40, 60, the subsequent years later.

Severance pay: You are correct; you will not receive additional severance pay.

VA compensation: I don't see how the decision affects your VA compensation. You said, "I was rated at 20% from the VA right out the gate, then 30, 40, 60, the subsequent years later." The PDBR can recommend that a veteran’s DoD military disability rating should be increased to 30% or higher. A DoD military disability rating of 30% or more entitles a veteran to lifetime monthly disability retired pay, military health care, access to military commissaries and post exchanges, and other retirement benefits.

Ron

timdwill

Registered Member

-Seaman Carrano
I got the secure email back on January 29th, 2020. I still can't open it and they keep telling me they sent it to my home address but I still haven't gotten it. It's been 3 years and I can't even open the damn email! It was DOD Safe but they never give me all the information to open the email. So frustrating. So I'm still waiting to read the results.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">