Firing VA providers

tony292

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
I’ve given VA mental health and primary care two years to properly take care of me and my health. They have failed repeatedly to do so, specifically when it comes to medication management.

I’ve had hypertension very well documented by VA. The worst was 179/121... they refused to give me blood pressure meds for 2 years. They simply made it my fault and said I needed to lose weight and my BP would drop.

They did the same with high cholesterol. Only this was worse because the high cholesterol was due to side effects of the psych meds (seroquel) the VA was prescribing. So not only did they cause it, they also refused to treat it.

So I went to a civilian doctor PCM. He immediately put me on blood pressure and cholesterol meds, no questions asked!

The final straw was that VA mental health has been prescribing sleep meds (lunesta) for two years. Prior to VA, I was able to get 30 count for 30 days at 3 MG. VA has repeatedly refused to prescribe this way. They only prescribe 20 pills per month and at a reduced 2 mg. So after repeated issues and lack of sleep 1/3 of the time, I went to a civilian psych who day one prescribed 3 mg lunesta and at 30 count for 30 days! Now I am able to sleep the entire month!!!

The disturbing part is that both the PCM and psych doctors both stated that this was common and no surprise they had seen many switch over from VA due to the same reason!

It’s almost as if the VA incentivized lowering or eliminating medications for Veterans!!!

I'm happy to hear that your civilian doctor was able to meet your current medical needs. I too always prefer to have my medications be prescribed a month at a time and be picked up on my schedule.

Crazy enough my wife is facing a similar situation where her meds are getting shorted and also not being filled with the brand that she prefers (of the generics).

That is a crazy sequence of events. I'm glad you found another doctor and got your BP meds!

It’s almost as if the VA incentivized lowering or eliminating medications for Veterans!!!

It definitely seems that way. My father finally got approved for VA medical benefits after getting his discharge from Vietnam upgraded. When he switched to the VA from a community provider they immediately stopped his pain medication and recommended that he go to yoga sessions instead.

Crazy happenings!

I have had decent luck so far (knock on wood)
I just hate the extra steps to get pain meds refilled- (have to go in and have labs done and "prove" that you are taking them)
The VA here is back logged/short staffed on specialties I see- so I have found good outside Dr's thru Choice. I have had to bring that part up when calling to schedule- some just give you a date and try to hang up- NOPE! I want to be seen sooner than 3 months from now.

The disturbing part is that both the PCM and psych doctors both stated that this was common and no surprise they had seen many switch over from VA due to the same reason!

Tony292- yes, I have heard this from variuos Civilian PCM's in the Gulf Coast VA System/VISN16- and in fact currently know a "local-veteran" having issues finding a new "civilian" PCM and was in fact denied care by a local PCM- supposedly- due to fact they were on "non narcotic pain-medications" -which IAW US DVA providers themselves- is no grounds what-so-ever- to deny anyone care- unfortunately however, on the Eastern Shore of Mobile Bay, probably much more to it than this as this "vet"- "tragically" messed up more by the local US DVA than the US Military ever did, etc...... SO Glad you found some help.....??????? (Also, this "veteran" now supposedly getting "run-around" Tricare for Life-Keesler AFB where supposedly filed IG complaint never herad back on.... odd.... could not even get ahold of "base Commanders" Office on "Open Door" Policy...strange yet again if true...?????)

Also, hopefully you are "deconflicting" your medications with your PCM's as "Luneistia" etc... combined others can be a "significant" issue to your health..... as well perhaps, among other things, cause "memory" issues if on vary long term- as simply can other "sleep-aides" so might want to check into..... perhaps??????

It definitely seems that way. My father finally got approved for VA medical benefits after getting his discharge from Vietnam upgraded. When he switched to the VA from a community provider they immediately stopped his pain medication and recommended that he go to yoga sessions instead.

Euphonix- glad to hear your Vietnam Vet father- "preserved" - and got "service" connected something...... As for "yoga" several other's (Vietnam Vet's Included) I know have found it helps, but is in fact not the "cure" all billed to be... nor will any single thing ever be...... might want to check out below link:

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4145290.William_Smith as it contains a link to "Exercise's For Fibromyaligia" by Dr. William Smith as well as other resources might be useful for "chronic-pain" management as well as possibly "Service Connection" for FIBROMYALGIA.... these as well host other exercise's and "exercise" in general have been more than "recommended" local veteran I know for all of their "various" issues... most - non-service connected.....

Finally, it is odd that another veteran in Eastern Shore Region AL- or LA; was sent an FMC- quite unjustly- and they, prior release, wanted place all "psyche" inmates on "injectiable medications!" I bring this up as very odd..... as per “Stellate Ganglion Block for PTSD” at PEBForum Threads Forums PEB and Disability Evaluation System Overview Conditions and Ratings PTSD and Mental Health Conditions no one has heard back anything Gulf Coast VA/VISN16 about this "procedure"???????

All- think Tony292-Euphonix, comments "exemplify" - IMO_ the importance this "resource".......

PS Might want consider the below:

https://www.biloxi.va.gov/about/leadership.asp As like NCO and Officer Record rief's Biographies can tell a whole lot about a "system" pelease see below "quoted-copied" listed "US DVA" website.... oddly issues forever Gulf Coast VA/VISN16 not paying "bills" etc.....supposedly local "military" installations....

"Leadership Team

image.asp

Bryan C. Matthews, MBA | 228-523-5766

Medical Center Director

Bryan C. Matthews, MBA, was appointed Medical Center Director for the Gulf Coast Veterans Health Care System on January 22, 2018.

Prior to arriving in Biloxi, Mr. Matthews was the Director for Veterans Health Care System of the Ozarks in Fayetteville. Mr. Matthews prior experience includes serving as the Associate Medical Center Director for both the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Washington, DC and the Associate Medical Center Director for the Jack C. Montgomery VA Medical Center in Muskogee, Oklahoma. In this capacity, he served as the Chief Operating Officer charged with day-to-day operations and management of the annual budget, and a number of major medical center operations including Facilities and Environmental Management Services, Human Resource Management, Fiscal, Police and Logistics services to name a few.

Mr. Matthews began his VA career at the John D. Dingell VA Medical Center in Detroit, MI, as the Chief of Supply, Processing and Distribution, and later as the Administrative Assistant to the Associate Director. He then transferred to the VA Maryland Healthcare System in Baltimore, MD, where he served as the Executive Assistant to the Associate Director. Prior to joining the Department of Veterans Affairs, he served in the U.S. Air Force for 22 years.

He is a graduate of the University of Maryland and received his Masters of Business Administration degree in Healthcare Management from the University of Phoenix. He is also a graduate of the 2010 Executive Career Field Career Development Program.

image.asp

M. Christopher Saslo,DNS,ARNP-BC,FAANP | 228-523-4679

Associate Director Patient Care Services/Nurse Executive

Dr. M. Christopher Saslo joined Gulf Coast Veterans Health Care System in July of 2014 as the Associate Director for Patient Care Services.

Prior to this appointment, Dr. Saslo was with West Palm Beach VAMC for 18 years where he served as Chief Nurse for Clinical Practice since May, 2009. Between May 1998 and May 2009, he was a practicing Adult Nurse Practitioner, and from May 1996 to September 1998, he served as Primary Care Program Manager. Dr. Saslo has over 30 years of nursing experience with 20 of those years being with VHA.

In 1984, Dr. Saslo began his nursing career as an LPN. In 1990, he received his BSN from Marywood University, in Scranton, PA, followed by his MSN from LaSalle University in Philadelphia, PA, in 1995. He received his Doctor of Nursing Science from Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, FL, in 2007. Dr. Saslo is a Fellow in the American Association of Nurse Practitioners and has been recognized both at the Florida state and local Advanced Practice Nurses Association for his contributions to the profession. He has also worked at the local and national level in HIV and has held a position as the National VA Ethics Advisory Chair for the Clinical Case Registry research program. He is a graduate of the VHA Class of 2013 Health Care Leadership Development Program.

image.asp

Adam G. Bearden, MBA, FACHE | 850-912-2202

Associate Director for Outpatient Operations

Adam G. Bearden joined the Gulf Coast Veterans Health Care System in June 2017. Mr. Bearden provides executive oversight of all operations at five community based outpatient clinics at five locations: Biloxi, MS; Mobile, AL; Pensacola, Fort Walton Beach, and Panama City, FL. In addition, he provides oversight of the Prosthetics service and the Compensation and Pension service.

Before joining the Gulf Coast Veterans Health Care System, Adam was a Medical Service Corps officer in the U.S. Air Force for almost 25 years. He served in 31 different positions at 14 different locations and is a three-time graduated commander. Mr. Bearden completed his military career as the Deputy Group Commander at Keesler Medical Center, July 2017. Mr. Bearden is an expert in health care governance, resource management, DoD/VA joint ventures, logistics, information systems, and operational excellence.

Mr. Bearden is a graduate of Loyola University, earning a Master of Business Administration and is also board certified, Fellow of the American College of Health Care Executive (FACHE) and is a Certified Materials and Resource Professional (CMRP).

default_profile.jpg

Adam G. Bearden, MBA, FACHE | 850-912-2202

Acting Associate Medical Center Director

image.asp

Reginald Labossiere, MD, FACP |

Chief of Staff

Dr. Reginald Labossiere joined Gulf Coast Veterans Health Care System in January 2018 as the Medical Center Chief of Staff. Prior to this appointment, Dr. Labossiere was with New Orleans VAMC for 14 months where he served as Assistant Chief of Staff for Clinical Operations, a Nutrition Support Team physician and Acting Chief of Dermatology.

He was at the Carl Vinson VAMC in Dublin, Georgia from December 2013 to November 2016 where he held several positions including Acting Chief of Staff, Deputy Chief of Staff, and Chief of Geriatrics and Extended Care. He also served as Acting Chief of staff in Tuscaloosa VA Medical Center from October 2016 to December 2016. Dr. Labossiere’s extensive VA career has taken him to Audie L. Murphy VA in San Antonio, Texas, Hines VA in Hines, Illinois, and Oklahoma VAMC in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

Dr. Labossiere began his medical career at medical school at the Faculte de Medicine in Port-au-Prince, Haiti from October 1988 to October 1994. He completed residencies from October 1995 to June 2003 at University Hospital in Haiti, Metropolitan Medical Center in New York, New York, and Mount Sinai Medical Center in Miami Beach, Florida.

He completed a Post-Doctoral Research Fellowship and a Nutritional Clinical Fellowship at Columbia University in New York from June 2004 to June 2006 followed by a Geriatric Fellowship at Loyola University in Maywood, Illinois from August 2006 to August 2007.

Dr. Labossiere academic appointments include Assistant Professor of Medicine at Tulane University , as well as former assistant professor positions at Loyola University, Oklahoma University and University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio"

Also Perhaps:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/201...d-your-brain-newly-discovered-neuron-circuit- article "Your gut is directly connected to your brain, by a newly discovered neuron circuit" By Emily UnderwoodSep. 20, 2018 , 2:00 PM

Thanks...Anyone Else Having Issues This Web-site.....??????

ALL- in keeping with above- if having issues with US DVA or current VA System enrolled in one can in fact send in a "Tell It To The Director" form that oddly will not open at bottom of below US DVA web-page for Gulf Coast VA/VISN16 system, for example: https://www.biloxi.va.gov/patients/customerservice.asp In Gulf Coast V/VISN16 these forms are collected by- or were- the Public Affairs Officer, whom understand brought back- and believe email address is/was [email protected] !!????

Below is copied from US DVA web-address given above, and would caution on contacting "patient advocates" as tend to highly not intrepret things correctly, and without seeking proper "clarification" will in fact get Law-Enforcement- both VA and Local- involved against "veterans" IAW local Gulf Coast VA "vet" supposedly- at the simple drop of hat, and, furthermore, as the IG in military "really" work for "Chain of Command" and NOT solely on "patients-behalf"..... probably more so, than in military....IMO......

https://www.biloxi.va.gov/patients/customerservice.asp Below "italics" copied from listed US DVA web-site:

"Gulf Coast Veterans Health Care System

Customer Service
PATIENT ADVOCATES
Our Patient Advocate program seeks to personally give you and your family the security of knowing someone is available to focus on your individual concerns and rights as a patient. We work directly with all departments on your behalf and can address your questions, problems or special needs quicker. If you, or a veteran you care for has not been able to resolve important issues related to VA through other means of communications, please contact one of our highly-skilled patient advocates listed below who will be eager to help you with your concern in a timely manner.
image.asp
Ayanna Burns
Patient Advocate-Mobile, AL
251-219-3908
default_profile.jpg
Daniel Higgins
Patient Advocate-Eglin, FL
850-609-2702
image.asp
Darrell Roderique
Patient Advocate-Panama City, FL
850-636-7039
image.asp
Kenneth Lee
Patient Advocate-Pensacola, FL
850-912-2050
image.asp
Lisa Maddox
Patient Adovocate-Biloxi, MS
228-523-5761
image.asp
Peter Gatineau
Patient Advocate-Biloxi, MS
228-523-4328
image.asp
Zoraida Butcher
Patient Advocate-Pensacola, FL
850-912-2403

Alternatively, you may contact us through e-mail using the VA National Inquiry Routing & Information System (IRIS).
ADDITIONAL CONTACTS

For a listing of additional contacts, please visit our phone directory.

Thanks for a Good Job Card
Your feedback about the care and services you receive while in the Medical Center provides us an opportunity to make changes and improvements; Feedback gives you the opportunity to make a suggestion, and correct problems or give a compliment.
During your stay, you may be surveyed by one of our Patient Advocates. This is a short patient satisfaction survey asking for feedback about your perception of the care you are receiving.
You may answer your quick card anonymously, or you may provide your name and contact information if you would like us to contact you about the resolution of any issues.
Survey of Healthcare Experience of Patients
After your visit, you may receive a confidential questionnaire in the mail asking you about your most recent outpatient or inpatient treatment at our medical center.
Please use the survey to let us know of any concerns, complaints, or questions you have about your care, so that we can resolve them. We also appreciate compliments about what we are doing right.

Gulf Coast Veterans Health Care System strives to always provide the highest quality of care to the veterans of our nation who call VA Gulf Coast Veterans HCS home. We recognize there may be times when a patient or family member has an issue which requires our attention. Because the best time to let us know of any concern or question is at the time it happens — so we can resolve it as quickly as possible — we have established several programs to assist you.
Patient Advocates (Representatives)

VA Gulf Coast Veterans Health Care System has on staff highly-skilled patient advocates who are eager to help you with your concern in a timely manner. Patient Advocates —
Serve as liaisons between patients and the medical center
Act on the patient's behalf
Help patients understand their rights and responsibilities

Tell it to the Director Program
Below is a link to a fillable Adobe PDF form for our Tell it to the Director program. Patient feedback on the care and service we provide is important to us. Please fill out the form, print it, and mail it to our Public Affairs Office's address listed on the form or drop it off in a Tell it to the Director box at your nearest VA Gulf Coast Veterans Health Care System facility.
Thank you.
Tell it to the Director Form Fillable* (note- links open form would not work)
Tell it to the Director Form-print*
*Need Adobe Reader
"

As usual hope this assist's someone........ and good luck......?????????

Anyone else issues this web-site????????

I had to do the same with my sleep meds and got them on Tricare escripts that auto-refill every 90 days they have guidelines that tell them what to prescribe and how much my VA PCM showed me on his computer, stated he can override if your civilian doctor writes a letter stating he has reviewed all your VA medical notes and think this is the best way to prescribe.

euphonix- thanks reply other post-Question: Many Have Served US Military Non-US Citizens- Does Not Being A US Citizen At Time Of Discharge Affect Their Disability Benefits?-see below quoted in "italics":

"People who work for the VA do not have security clearances, they have standard background checks to be issued PIV cards, if they are in a position that requires access to PII, they are given a public trust "clearance" which is not a security clearance. I've had both when working for the VA and the DoD, the background checks are completely different. VA employees fill out SF-85's while those who get confidential and above clearances fill out SF-86's for their investigations."

Not being an MI - Security- Expert- can see difference between what you have laid out very quickly above....sadly, as information provided "local" vet in question supposedly came from US VA employees Gulf Coast VA-VISN16, and has supposedly talked length them as well as their VA Providers this issue......so think whole lot misunderstanding you in part cleared up?????

Additionally- if try do volunteer work at US VA, apparently one must allegedly do a "criminal background check" is that to your understanding as well euphonix..and can in fact be denied opportunity do volunteer work US VA based on said check???

euphonix-
anyway would simply say your response above more than passes Napoleon's "private" test- where Napoleon gave orders -prior issuance- to a Private to see if they could clearly understand before sending Commanders In The Field.....so thanks....and why good forum with folks like you......

One that score euphonix- below might be some interest, perhaps, as you clearly know much more than I do.....(below for example info only)

- United States Intelligence Community - Wikipedia (Interesting, in article, if true, "70 % budget" supposedly goes to "contractors")

euphonix-ALL- thanks, and think "Firing VA Providers" is simply beyond challenging..based on Gulf Coast VA/VISN16 inability to fire a former Director, after a year of trying, and then reinstated him.....???? Also glad "Question: Many Have Served US Military Non-US Citizens- Does Not Being A US Citizen At Time Of Discharge Affect Their Disability Benefits?" was closed out further comments.....

PS: For those whom interested volunteering, or encouraged to do volunteer work by their US VA Providers,see below websites for information/example only:

- United Service Organizations

- J.D. Crouch II

(Still issues this web-site....)

euphonix- thanks reply other post-Question: Many Have Served US Military Non-US Citizens- Does Not Being A US Citizen At Time Of Discharge Affect Their Disability Benefits?-see below quoted in "italics":

"People who work for the VA do not have security clearances, they have standard background checks to be issued PIV cards, if they are in a position that requires access to PII, they are given a public trust "clearance" which is not a security clearance. I've had both when working for the VA and the DoD, the background checks are completely different. VA employees fill out SF-85's while those who get confidential and above clearances fill out SF-86's for their investigations."

Not being an MI - Security- Expert- can see difference between what you have laid out very quickly above....sadly, as information provided "local" vet in question supposedly came from US VA employees Gulf Coast VA-VISN16, and has supposedly talked length them as well as their VA Providers this issue......so think whole lot misunderstanding you in part cleared up?????

Additionally- if try do volunteer work at US VA, apparently one must allegedly do a "criminal background check" is that to your understanding as well euphonix..and can in fact be denied opportunity do volunteer work US VA based on said check???

euphonix-
anyway would simply say your response above more than passes Napoleon's "private" test- where Napoleon gave orders -prior issuance- to a Private to see if they could clearly understand before sending Commanders In The Field.....so thanks....and why good forum with folks like you......

One that score euphonix- below might be some interest, perhaps, as you clearly know much more than I do.....(below for example info only)

- United States Intelligence Community - Wikipedia (Interesting, in article, if true, "70 % budget" supposedly goes to "contractors")

euphonix-ALL- thanks, and think "Firing VA Providers" is simply beyond challenging..based on Gulf Coast VA/VISN16 inability to fire a former Director, after a year of trying, and then reinstated him.....???? Also glad "Question: Many Have Served US Military Non-US Citizens- Does Not Being A US Citizen At Time Of Discharge Affect Their Disability Benefits?" was closed out further comments.....

PS: For those whom interested volunteering, or encouraged to do volunteer work by their US VA Providers,see below websites for information/example only:

- United Service Organizations

- J.D. Crouch II

(Still issues this web-site....)
I am not sure of the requirements for background checks for volunteers at the VA. I do know that background checks are very costly for the government and I would be very surprised if they were footing the bill for the volunteers such as those who help you find where your appointment is to get a background check completed.

All official VA volunteers and employees complete a SF85, live scan and go though a national agency check. Others may complete a SF86 if they are in a position that requires a secret or higher security clearance.

They also complete a OF-306.

The SF85 is not a criminal background investigation but a public trust check.

The live scan with DOJ is a criminal background investigation and they focus on the previous 5 years.

OF-306 requires you to self-report if you have been convicted of a crime in the past 7 years (to include military court martial) and any current violation of the law.

The combination of the SF85, live scan with national agency check through DOJ an d OF-306 will place you in some serious legal jeopardy if you are not truthful.

SF-85 http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/sf85.pdf

OF-306 https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/of0306.pdf

GSFowler- two things here real quick a vet at VISN 16 Gulf Coast VA supposedly learned and got n where looking into Patient Advocate etc.....

1) Supposedly a doctor at Gulf Coast VA, the new MOPC in Mobile Alabama claimed they had no "security clearance" nor background check ever done on them..... as apparently this vet wanted speak them some issues Iraq that required a security clearance of some type and the Gulf Coast VA patient advocate in Biloixi MS could have cared less nor was NOT even willing to check if any background check had been done at all on this doctor and in fact supposedly got quite upset when told that was their job......humph if true....

If true how do vets witnessed issues or partook in operations that required a clearance explain them to VA staff?????

2) Patient Advocate at Biloixi VA in Biloixi MS-at first, seemed without any knowledge, that veterans could supposedly order a "medication destruction kit" from the US VA Pharmacy staff, to have medications returned to VA for destruction.......once again if true humph..... see below if interested

GSFowler is this all correct in your opinion?????

Thanks....

(still issues this web-site, computers-internet, etc....)