Fit for duty with Asthma

navysailor88

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello,

I was recently placed on LIMDU for severe persistent asthma. I was wondering if anyone has been found fit for duty with severe asthma. I'm currently taking Symbicort, Albuterol (rescue-inhaler), zyrtec, singular, liquid albuterol to use with a nebulizer, and I just starting taking Dupixent injections every two weeks. I feel that my asthma is controlled but I don't know if the Navy thinks the same. I know that according to my medication I would qualify for a medical retirement but I would rather be found fit for duty. Does anyone know someone who has been in a similar situation as me and was found fit. Thanks!

That’s pretty severe. I have excercise-induced asthma (I know, sounds like an excuse to get out of PT). Asthma, by itself, is not disqualifying. If it effects your ability to do your job, then it is. What is your rate?

I'm an LS. Asthma does not effect my ability to do my job but I'm worried that they'll find me unfit because of the medications that I take. Especially the injections. Postpartum depression is also a reason that I'm being sent to a MEB. Were you found unfit with the exercised induced asthma?

I'm an LS. Asthma does not effect my ability to do my job but I'm worried that they'll find me unfit because of the medications that I take. Especially the injections. Postpartum depression is also a reason that I'm being sent to a MEB. Were you found unfit with the exercised induced asthma?
No. I’m currently LIMDU for PTSD. I don’t think you should have an issue being found fit. Post Partum depression is almost always temporary. Your medical provider will have to justify why they think you wont be able to return to full duty within a year. For asthma, They won’t med board you unless it interferes with your job.

I have 1 experience with a diagnosed asthma case, in the AD USAF. He survived the MEB because he refused treatments that were unfitting due to world-wide mobility problems. He found a fitting inhaler and has since remained on AD and off profile. In a case like this you have to help yourself helping your self. What I mean is, if you want to be found fit, then become fit world-wide, have open dialogue with what treatments are still considered fit and exhaust those treatments and do everything to maintain fitness standards and health. Your world-wide mobility is going to be a big factor to your being found fit/unfit.

Heathro1281 makes an excellent point. I had a concussion a year and a half ago and have experienced chronic migraines ever since. My PCM tried to prescribe me an SSRI to help but it would have made me NPQ from diving duty. I had a talk with my UMO and neurologist and they came up with 3 treatment plans that would allow me to continue on PQ. That being said, alternative treatments are not always the best. I chose to take NSAIDs every day I had a migraine instead of more effective medication, but now I’ve developed severe acid reflux because of my persistent use. Persistent use of Tylenol is also really bad for your liver too. So just keep that kind of stuff in mind. Any action you take, or don’t take, will have consequences. Make the best decision that is right for you.