Fit or Unfit timeframe?

Jessica D.

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
So, today is Aug. 9th, and my board got sent up on the 23 of July (I signed the 20th, but that was a Friday, so I'm assuming it didn't get sent till that Monday). Anyway-how long should it be before I hear something as to my fit or unfit status? Is this something my PEBLO is going to hear about, or should I be calling the VA hotline?

Mine took 9 days from when they sent it to the PEB. I emailed my PEBLO after I seen a change on my Ebenefits and he told me the date. Mine when up on the 2nd of May and I was found unfit on the 11th of May

So, today is Aug. 9th, and my board got sent up on the 23 of July (I signed the 20th, but that was a Friday, so I'm assuming it didn't get sent till that Monday). Anyway-how long should it be before I hear something as to my fit or unfit status? Is this something my PEBLO is going to hear about, or should I be calling the VA hotline?
I would be checking Ebenefits for it to change phases from its current one. Once that happens you know you are unfit. Mine changed within 2 weeks after signing my board. Your Peblo won't really know until they receive the official memo, which in my case came like a month after I had my ratings faxed from the VA.

Once you get to the pending decision approval phase start calling the VA and asking to have your files faxed to you, you may have to ask several different people until you find one willing to. But that is the best way, they say they mail them but i haven't received anything, neither have anyone I know in this process.

What was the change on your ebenefits? Mine says reviewing evidence and hasn't changed since the day I made my account.

What was the change on your ebenefits? Mine says reviewing evidence and hasn't changed since the day I made my account.
I can't log into Ebennies now to see the phases, but i think its the one right after reviewing/gathering evidence. Also you can see that the PEB has sent your stuff under "what we have received" section.

Mine changed to "Prep for Decision" about a month after my MEB was sent to the PEB. When I seen the change I emailed my PEBLO and he informed me that I was found unfit. I guess he would have never told me if I didn't ask him.

I don't think that there is any rhyme or reason to this: my status has been prep for decision for over a month now...VA says still in rating phase, PEBLO checked and said that file is still being reviewed by board...no updates, etc. etc. Sure wish there was better continuity to the status updates from the VA and PEB. My PEBLO even cleared me to take leave for the rest of August, and said that he expects to hear from PEB "sometime" in September...what a cluster.

My package was received by PEB on 12 July and checked in to the board on July 16th.

Mine was received by the PEB 12JUN12 and my ebenefits still show "under review". I am usually a really patient person, but this process is really tough. :confused: Much like you, I just want to know so I can start planning for my future. What VA is reviewing your files? Mine is in Rhode Island.

-JSA1974, where did you find the "what we have received" section? I don't see that when I log in my ebenefits.

Jessica I like your question because I have been wondering the same thing! My MEB was sent to the PEB at JBLM (Fort Lewis) on 3 Jul. I emailed my PEBLO a week ago from today and he said that they are writing my fit/unfit memo. Then today I noticed that my ebenefits changed in the section "What We Have Recived" saying that my PEB was received on 30 Jul. Now after reading around on this wonderful forum I have noticed that SM's have been being found unfit within a week or 2 at the most. It's been over 30 days so far. Wisec84 dropped some knowledge on me today saying that possibly found me unfit and that my PEB was sent to the VA for ratings. I am gonna email my MSC to see if I can get better information.

I don't think that there is any rhyme or reason to this: my status has been prep for decision for over a month now...VA says still in rating phase, PEBLO checked and said that file is still being reviewed by board...no updates, etc. etc. Sure wish there was better continuity to the status updates from the VA and PEB. My PEBLO even cleared me to take leave for the rest of August, and said that he expects to hear from PEB "sometime" in September...what a cluster.

My package was received by PEB on 12 July and checked in to the board on July 16th.
How did you get this information about where your package was and when?

Mine was received by the PEB 12JUN12 and my ebenefits still show "under review". I am usually a really patient person, but this process is really tough. :confused: Much like you, I just want to know so I can start planning for my future. What VA is reviewing your files? Mine is in Rhode Island.

-JSA1974, where did you find the "what we have received" section? I don't see that when I log in my ebenefits.
Mine is also the R.I. office. Hopefully they have their stuff together.

How did you get this information about where your package was and when?
For the VA...the toll free number the press 0 to get right into the cue (I'm on hold as we speak...long wait). Ask the rep what the status is. If you are nice, you can get them to tell you a bit more and dig a bit deeper for you. For the PEB, I had my PEBLO go into the system to check the status...he gets kinda pissy, but I don't care, it's my life/career, not his.

I haven't talked to my PEBLO since I signed my board. But, she's pretty nice. So, if my package hasn't been sent to the VA yet, is it going to do me any good to call the VA for the status update? Or do they not know anything till they get the info from the PEB?

If your package is at the PEB already, the VA should have your initial package with all your C&P exams, records and VA docs narrative and should be working on the review/rating process. Some PEBLO's get real busy and don't check updates often, so a call to her to request her to check the PEB system for you might yield some new info. Also, your MSC might be able to give you VA updates if they are decent at their job.

I was never notified that I was found unfit, I found out the day I got my 199... Besides the fact that we all knew I had 3 failing conditions, we all expected it anyways, prolly why I was never notified lol.

Well, I talked to my PEBLO today, and she said my case has been forwarded to the VA, so I've been found unfit-which is what I was going for...