Fitness vs. Unfitness

Jason Perry

Benevolent Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Pedro,

Welcome! Much will depend on how controlled your condition is, but if your ability to perform your duties is not significantly impacted, it seems that you should be fit for duty. You will most likely go to an MEB, though.

Best of luck and please let us know any questions.

Travelerusa40

PEB Forum Veteran
I am a Army Finance Officer. I have had two failed back surgeries l4-L5, currently herniated and have been on limited duty for over a year. I also had a right knee replacement and right knee DDD in which I need a knee replacement. I am in the MEB and can not have back fusion or a knee replacement until I complete and agree with my NARSUM. Because I am a Finance Officer would the MEB find my Back and Hip fitting? Again, I have been on limited duty 2 to 4 hours a day for most the part of the year.

tynabell

PEB Forum Veteran
My husband has 19 years, 1 month in the ANG. He has 11 drills to get his 20. He received paperwork for "non-duty related DES. He has to sign this on Aug 20. He was told by the clinic his PTSD is not an issue and would not be included in his list of unfitting diagnosis. The only thing listed on his DAWG is myalgia, Myositis, arthritis and sleep apnea with CPAP. The clinic also told him he was non duty related even though he has LOD's for injuries during Iraqi freedom/ enduring freedom that resulted in him having the arthritis.
His commander is writing a letter to request LOD for his PTSD.

My questions.
1. How can we get this turned into a duty related and MEB for disability rating?
2. What happens when he signs this? Of course he is going to fight.
3. Should he write and request a LOD for his PTSD or wait for the commander?

He has been struggling just to make it for drill weekends hoping to reach his 20 years. He hasn't worked since 2009.

Jason Perry

Benevolent Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I'm getting a hip replacement with 16yrs of service and was told by my 1sgt that I will be unfit for duty.
While many folks with a hip replacement are found unfit, that is not assured. You would have to see how well the surgery goes and what the impact is after on your duty performance.

daniels15934

Registered Member
How can I contact you directly (Jason Perry & MAParker)? my email is [email protected] if you would like to send me an email. I am preping to send my information to the PDBR and I have a million questions!!

Thank you in advance
Derrick

Jason Perry

Benevolent Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member

toolbox

Registered Member
Is there a guideline for determining fitness with a condition that is possibly unstable? For instance, my partner (Navy) is currently in the PEB process (we have received information that he was deemed unfit at the IPEB but have not received notice) for MS. He, however, is able to perform all of his duties and, in fact, did so while on deployment (we were not aware that he had MS at the time). Additionally, he is on and responding well to medication that conforms with the PRP. We have been told, however, that he may be deemed unfit because MS is unstable he "could" have a problem later.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">