Formal Board Asthma

navysailor88

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello,

Has anyone with severe asthma been found fit and requested a formal board? If so, what was the outcome and what the process?

Electech92

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I was found unfit for sea duty because of asthma and I was medboarded out. I didn't have to do anything though, they requested the PEB/MEB after my SDS.

Electech92

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I was Navy. It was somewhat bad at the time. I had just gotten diagnosed with it while I was in and at first I was in denial. I was being treated with lots of meds and steroid inhalers and oral steroids. According to my STR at that time, I should have been warranted 60% according the CFR but I was only given 10 at that time when I was discharged. I recently filed for a review of my PEB/MEB and they are now upgrading my medical separation to medical retirement. I just got this in the mail this week so I'm just waiting on further instruction. I came across this forum when I was searching for more info and happened to come across your post.

navysailor88

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Did you miss any work or was unable to do your job? I was recently found fit and I don't understand how. I take steroid inhalers, I've taken oral steroids, and I take biweekly injections. The board said that I don't have evidence to prove that I can't do my job but I failed my sea duty screening. I will never pass my screening because the injections so I can't go to sea duty so I'll probably be adsep'd. My doctor said that I'll have to take the injections indefinitely and with out them I'll have to take oral steroids which is also unfitting for the navy.

Electech92

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I did have to go to medical a few times a week initial. There were a few times when I did miss work as well. Not sure which injections you are on, I only started injections this year and already, I'm having reactions and will have to discontinue. I took a look at my MEB/PEB paperwork and they gave me 3 options at the time. One was to stay in and only be assigned to an aircraft carrier, stay in on limdu status or to separate. I chose to separate even though the AO at the time recommended to the board that I remain on active duty. I would think you should be able to medically retire. Not sure how you would go about that though. Are there ppl you can talk to for guidance? A PEBLO?

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">