Formal Board?

Piper67

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Ok I just got my findings back, 20 dod 90 va, but my peblo thinks I should do a formal board to add one of my conditions to the dod's side of the ratings. My unfitting conditions for the dod was a hip condition. I got 70% for major depressive disorder, plus a few other things.

When first starting this process none of my doctors wanted to put my mental stuff on there-they just wanted to admin sep me tbh. I don't know what it's called but like they didn't want to write up anything so that it could be added with my initial paperwork. My question is, is it really worth it? The findings can come back fit, or reduced or something and I don't know if I want a few more months of waiting.

HIghly likely that "it's worth it." But, don't have enough info to offer much more. Would be helpful to know your grade, years of service at a minimum.

HIghly likely that "it's worth it." But, don't have enough info to offer much more. Would be helpful to know your grade, years of service at a minimum.

Mr. Perry, how long is it taking for FPEB results to come back?

Ok, I'm 3 years in, Cpl living in the bricks.
DoD: conditions bilateral hip impingement 20 combined,
VA: the bilateral hip impingement 10% for both left and right and various sup categories ie painful motion 10% , numbness 10% for left, limited range of motion 10% for right, Major Depressive Disorder 70%, Tension headaches 50%

I've heard the impingement's will eventually need surgery, but I'm going right back into the government. I'm currently in the process for Boarder Patrol, the poly/interview is next cause my MOS already gave me the security clearance.
So I guess I'm asking if it would really matter because I'll be getting government benefits anyway?

If you want Severence then you would want the 20% DoD rating. However keep in mind that your VA disability payments will be reduced monthly from the 90% pay to 70% pay. The VA recoups that money paid to you until it's paid back.
If you want TDRL/retirement then fight for the 30%. It's really up to what you think is best for your situation. The Lawyers are very savvy and know the in's and out's.
I've been combing through US Code and VA rules for my own formal board which I am still waiting on.
So again it's completly up to you what you decide. So what's best for you.