Fort Hood Retiree Services/DFAS says no TDRL pay or severance

Rykoff

PEB Forum Regular Member
I received my new orders and DD215 last week. PDBR decided on 6 months TDRL with severance pay.
My injuries were from combat.
I called Fort Hood Retiree Services/DFAS and was told that I will not get TDRL or severance pay because I can't get VA compensation and TDRL/Severance Pay at the same time.
I told the person thank you for your time and ended the call.

I do not see how this is possible. My orders clearly say TDRL for 6 months and then severance pay.

I literally spent 6 hours on the phone today getting transferred from one department within DFAS to the next.

What is the truth with my situation?
What does the law say?
What department(s) do I need to contact to get this taken care of?
What is the process after getting orders?
For those 6 months of TDRL I believe I am entitled to CRSC, is this correct?
Should DFAS pay me the difference between my retirement pay and my compensation pay? Example: $1000 retirement - $500 VA = $500 paid in addition to the VA $500.

Additionally, initially I was medically discharged with severance pay. I paid the severance pay back and I have a letter from the VA stating I did. It was also taxed and I know now that it should have not been. Finally, this severance pay was not paid to me correctly. I only received one months base pay times years of service. The law states 2 months base pay times years of service.

Unfortunately, that person is correct. You cannot receive both VA pay and retirement pay at the same time. There are some exceptions such as CRSC and CDRP. You can see if you are eligible for those.

All severance pay must be paid back. We all had to pay ours back once we get VA pay. The retirement pay: if you were NOT receiving VA pay for the 6 months you were on TDRL you would be entitled to the pay.

If your retirement pay was higher than your VA pay, you would be due the difference.

I know it’s not what you want to hear. I’m sorry.

Thank you for replying.
My retirement pay is higher than my disability pay so I should get the difference. I talked to a VSO today and he said from looking at all my disabiities I should get CRSC.

Severance Pay:

DoD 7000.14-R

0406 DISABILITY SEVERANCE PAY (DSP)

A
a

States the following:

a. VA will make no deduction in the case of disability severance pay received by a member for a disability incurred in the line of duty in a combat zone or incurred during performance of duty in combat-related operations as designated by the Secretary of Defense.

The disability I was medically seperated for was do to comabtat operations in Iraq.
I think I won't have to pay the severance back.

Do you or anyone else know who or whom in DFAS knows what to do with my current situation? I would like to talk to someone in DFAS way up the CoC about my situation. Because if the severance pay not being recouped do to a combat injury is true then maybe not only myself but other veterans will get what they deserve and earned as well.

DFAS goes solely on orders. And you have to apply for CRSC separately. I’d work on that application and just call in to DFAS and ask for a supervisor.

I know people get very worried, and angry, when it comes to back pay. So my honest advice to you is to be kind when calling and talking to people. Don’t be the jerk who yells at someone who just stares at a computer screen all day and doesn’t make any of the rules or processes. When asking for a supervisor they essentially put in a request in the system and you get a call 5 days later. That’s how it was last year when I was going through it.

DFAS goes solely on orders. And you have to apply for CRSC separately. I’d work on that application and just call in to DFAS and ask for a supervisor.

I know people get very worried, and angry, when it comes to back pay. So my honest advice to you is to be kind when calling and talking to people. Don’t be the jerk who yells at someone who just stares at a computer screen all day and doesn’t make any of the rules or processes. When asking for a supervisor they essentially put in a request in the system and you get a call 5 days later. That’s how it was last year when I was going through it.

Thank you for the advice. I'll keep you and those who read this posted.

Keebs is dead on.
You should rate CRSC and not a dime of it should be taxed or "recouped." In your orders from the Army, it should say this or something like this:

If it does, you're golden.20171215_120749.jpg

Keebs is dead on.
You should rate CRSC and not a dime of it should be taxed or "recouped." In your orders from the Army, it should say this or something like this:

If it does, you're golden.View attachment 2429
My orders say the same thing. Thank you for the response.
Have you worked with anyone specifically about your case in DoD?
If so who or what departments?
Again thank you.

No. But if you take the link that is attached to my signature, you'll be able to read my post-TDRL story. My circumstances are different from your I would assume but there are plenty of "entertaining" twist and turns to be read... I hope your process is smooth, quick, and as painless as can be.

Based on the letter you posted above, I hope you will apply for CRSC without delay.

The Army's CRSC webpage is at https://www.hrc.army.mil/TAGD/CRSC

CRSC replaces some or all of approved combat related disabilities. CRSC cannot exceed the dollar amount of the length of service portion of your retired pay (or the CRSC rate approved by your service upon application if it is less than the LOS).

Some requirements:
--Eligible for retired pay (and waiving retired pay dollar for dollar in the amount of VA comp received)
--In receipt of VA compensation
--Approved CRSC by service (application is required)

Other aspects of CRSC applications for Army personnel are discussed at the link provided above.

DFAS and CRSC: https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/crsc.html