Fort Lewis Timeline Questions

Shel81

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
This is my timeline so far.
28 January 2011 Surgery to fix right ankle
January-February recovery from surgery
7 March 2011 My Podiatry doctor refers my case to the MEB permanent profile signed by him and sent up.
10 March 2011 MEB Doctor agrees with need for MEB and signs Permanent profile.
Went to the MEB office the week of the 14 March my paper work was already there I had my MEB Brief the week after that around March 25th . Limbo.
Here is where it gets sketchy. My paperwork states I started my MEB 26 July 2011 . This is the date stated as the Physicians Notification date. My physician is the one that started the MEB process im March so I am confused about that. I had already started my process and seen my PEBLO hints the reason she didn’t add an initial counseling date. My tech was transitioning to being a PEBLO so my case was “in transition” for a while. It is my belief that they dropped the ball and misplaced my paperwork which is why there is a gap between 10 March and 26 July.
28 July Commander Notified. ( I think it should say supposidly because I found out later my commanders packet was "Missing" when I tried to sign my NARSUM appeal in December. The excuse was that I never turned it in.)
22 August 2011 Physicals exams Completed
(No consultation dates although I did have a few consults.) Limbo.
07 October 2011 MEB Physician Appointment
17 November 2011 physician Dictated MEB/NARSUM
07 December MEB with approving authority returned to PEBLO. Lombo. (Excuse fo 7-21 December gap was my PEBLO was on leave but some one was suppose to be covering for her.)
21 December 2011 PEBLO counseling on MEB/NARSUM
11 January 2012 filed Appealed
09 February 2012 MEB/NARSUM Appeal returned
10 February 2012 PEB receives case
Now I play the waiting game.
I have two questions about this. Is it normal for the start of the MEB to actually be different than the date the MEB doctor agrees with the request. Is the time from when the PEB submitted to when it is at least forwarded to the VA usually 8 weeks or longer? The PEB still has not forwarded my case to the VA and I know the VA is running at around 90-180 days for their findings.

Shel81,

It looks like you are having similar issues to me, and we are both going through the Ft. Lewis MEB/PEB process. Copied from my timeline thread:

*4 JAN 2011 - Injury occurs during TDY, week hospitalization follows
15 JAN 2011 - Attending Physician on my case informs me of need for MEB
13-17 JUN 2011 - TDYs to Madigan for Army Evaluations
AUG 2011 - TDY to Tacoma for VA contracted evaluations
24 OCT 2011 - Narsum dictation done over phone with PA @ MAMC.
10 JAN 2012 - MEB results back with finding of unfit/forward to PEB on DA3947
17 JAN 2012 - Packet reviewed by counsel and appeal declination sent to PEBLO
**18 JAN 2012 - PEBLO sends packet to PEB**
08 FEB 2012 - PEB receives paperwork
***23 MAR 2012 - PEB rating of UNFIT, packet sent to VA for ratings.***
10 April 2012 -
?? ??? ???? - Notified of ratings/199
?? ??? ???? - Received orders

*Now here's an interesting part. I've already completed my evaluations, right? Well into the MEB process? MYMEB on AKO lists my MEB as having been initiated on 8/24/2011. What's going on here? I've already been in the process since January, right? At the very least since June when they sent me on TDY for evaluations?
**There a lag of almost 3 weeks between my PEBLO sending out my paperwork and the PEB receiving it.
***As of 10 April, VA still does not acknowledge receipt of my packet, either through phone or through their ebenefits webpage.

So here I sit, 462 days after injury, waiting on the VA. I'm not sure what took my case manager so long to initiate my case, but I have been plagued by feelings of being left out of the loop and marginalized throughout the process. Being on a permanent profile now, unable to perform much of the training that my unit conducts, and watching the military sharpen its knives in preparation for downsizing is disheartening at best.

Now for the good news. The VA timeline from what I can see is faster than what you're expecting. I've been reviewing cases on the site here, and averages seem to be about 45 days turnaround to get findings back from the VA under the IDES system. I know there are outliers, but that timeline seems to be holding well for most of the posted cases that I can find.

Out of curiosity, can you PM me with the name of your PEBLO at Lewis? I'd be interested to see if we have the same one, or if the problem is more systemic at Ft. Lewis.

I wonder how many other people have been put in the same situation that we are in now. I seriously feel like I cannot get even the simplest answer to my questions any more. :mad: it makes my head hurt just thinking about it now.

It seems to me that someone may be playing with the dates to make it appear that the process is taking less time than it actually does. I could be wrong but that's the only thing that makes sense to me.

SGT Bob thats exactly what I think they are doing. They are padding the numbers so to the higher ups it looks like people are getting through in less than a year. What really rubbs is when they are like "well you havent in been in the process a year yet, things are moving fast for you". Really I have been in the process past a year already with no end in sight.

Shaugnmiller, there wont be any back pay im still active duty. They can drag it out as long as they want and pad the dates they, only start paying from the day you are discharged. I have yet to even get my PEB or VA rating back. My packets been with the PEB supposidly since the 10th of Feb and im not seeing a response any time in the near future from them. If they had to back pay I think that would light a fire under there butts LOL!

Should be one heck of a backpay right?

Shaugnmiller,

That's what I find absurd about this entire process. I am not poorly paid for my service. With all take-home pays computed, even forgoing the adjustment to income that I should be taking into account from not paying state taxes, or the medical insurance/other intangibles, just LES documented take home pay I am clearing 80k/year. If you make all those adjustments, I would need to clear almost 100k/year in the civilian sector to maintain my current style of living for my family.

How much does one PEBLO make I wonder? I'm sure there are sunk costs in getting them trained up, ready to process, along with all the overheard throughout the VA, but it boggles my mind that the money they are paying me isn't a big enough incentive to hasten the process within the limits of reason to something more approaching sane turnaround times.

If one more person assigned could speed 12 people through on average one month faster through the course of a year, they would likely recoup the costs of hiring. But since the bottom-line of how much it costs to conduct this process, how long it takes, and how much efficiency is lost doesn't seem to be being examined by auditors aside from holding people to arbitrary timelines, I think I'm probably just preaching to the choir.

This reminds me of the stop-loss pays that were mandated to service units who had been stop-lossing service men and women after 9-11, often for years at a time. This program really only came to an end when the DoD mandated extra pay for people who were in effect being conscripted past their service dates.

Just food for thought.

CarlB
If only hiring people to help would move things along quicker. Supposidly at the beginning of the year they hired and moved a bunch of people over there supposidly to "help" with the back logg and to combat the "issues" that had them up before congress. From what I have heard and from whats happening with me they are doing about the same as before. They really have no excuse any more for this back logg. Needed more people they got more people. Needed VA to step in and take some of the load off now they have a joint system with VA raiting. All they they supposidly needed to make the system run smoothly and get SM through with all the boxes checked and T's crossed and I's dotted they now have. So I dont understand why the process is the same if not worse.

Well....one positive thing about being on active duty still (like me) is that we still get paid well for dealing with all the red tape. That's how I like to look at it anyway. Sure, I would like for it to all be over with tomorrow so I can move on but, at least I'm getting a decent paycheck for dealing with the stress. It's MUCH better than being an unemployed civilian dealing with all this. It's them that I really feel sorry for.

I would have to agree with you SGT Bob, with that being said I know this is my first post and I am kind of disheartened at hearing the length this process is taking. I havent started the process yet, however I am looking to recieve my P3 profile here in the near future, and I am also here at Lewis. Is this timeline looking about the same for everyone?

*******Update****
I spoke to my UMBUDSMAN last week on the 17th or 18th. I was told that my case was still at the PEB and it was over dure to be at the VA but she wanted to give thim until the 25th or so to see if they would send it up because its more than 45 days now. I check my online MEB/PEB on AKO today and low and behold on my PEB side it says that the PEB is returned to MTF as of 1 April 2012. Is my packet in a time lapse or are they cooking the dates again. Not to mention I have no clue what it means to have my packed returned to the MTF because my PEBLO knows nothing and tells me nothing. Can any one make heads or tails of this?

I would have to agree with you SGT Bob, with that being said I know this is my first post and I am kind of disheartened at hearing the length this process is taking. I havent started the process yet, however I am looking to recieve my P3 profile here in the near future, and I am also here at Lewis. Is this timeline looking about the same for everyone?

From everything that I have read and seen personally, it's been taking an average of 9-12 months for the whole process from start to finish. The shortest that I know of is 2 months and the longest that I have seen is about 3 years. All you can do is hope for the best. Good luck. Keep surfing these forums, there is a TON of good info. and several people that are very helpful.

I agree with SGT Bob, I come on here daily just to see if there is something new I can find to get me through. It takes a long time and depending on your area it may take longet than that I am at 13 months and counting.

Alright, thanks for the info. Thats the timeline I was kind of seeing myself. Was just wondering about what Im getting ready to get into. Im going to get my P3 tomorrow morning.

I too am going through the PEB at Lewis. I was found unfit on April 11th and I have no idea when this will all be finished. PEBLO has no updates and eBenefits website still states collecting evidence. All my PEBLO was able to tell me is it's in the VA hands now. I am a month behind Shel81 from when the initial MEB began and it looks like a month behind the unfit findings, so, with that said, I will be carefully following your timeline! Continue to keep us updated. This process is ridiculous. I understand that going to the new system was to prevent soldiers getting out, then waiting for a year to get their VA benefit checks, but I would have preferred to get out with my findings and start my new career....whatever that may be, considering I have no idea when I will be a civilian. At least I know I was found unfit and I WILL be a civilian soon though. No complaints from me with that knowledge. Thinking about becoming a PEBLO!

I too am going through the PEB at Lewis. I was found unfit on April 11th and I have no idea when this will all be finished. PEBLO has no updates and eBenefits website still states collecting evidence. All my PEBLO was able to tell me is it's in the VA hands now. I am a month behind Shel81 from when the initial MEB began and it looks like a month behind the unfit findings, so, with that said, I will be carefully following your timeline! Continue to keep us updated. This process is ridiculous. I understand that going to the new system was to prevent soldiers getting out, then waiting for a year to get their VA benefit checks, but I would have preferred to get out with my findings and start my new career....whatever that may be, considering I have no idea when I will be a civilian. At least I know I was found unfit and I WILL be a civilian soon though. No complaints from me with that knowledge. Thinking about becoming a PEBLO!

I am pretty sure you would be a better PEBLO than some of the ones we have now. If I am reading your post correctly you have already gotten an unfit rating from the PEB which puts you ahead of me I havent even gotten that yet. I am now on week 12 waiting for an update about the PEB findings. No one seems to know why it hasent been sent to the VA yet but my AKO tracker says it was returned to the MTF 1 April. Bottem line they have there heads up the third point of contact as usual. Likewise with the updates if you havent please do a time line so that other people going through can have some idea of whats to come.

To all,

I'm also going through the PEB process and am now at the end awating VA ratings for my unfit condition. Needless to say its been 3 weeks with the VA so far for the rating. It absolutely boggles my mind how it takes so long to look up a condition in the VASRD and apply the rating that is already written there.... That being said, just a word of advice for all that are going through this process. It seems to me that people along the process have no idea how much it affects the service member themselves when they know they are getting out and are forced to stay in longer due to the laziness of other people (I'm not saying all peblo's or everyone at the VA is lazy BTW). I know when i first started this process (6 months ago) and got the little pamphlet that told me the timeline was from 90 to 360 days i was absolutely dumbfounded. I mean, break down what has to happen in your own head. MEB should go quick, appts should be made, a summary of your conditions is written, that goes back to the peblo who then mails it to washington for fit/unfit and then to the VA to look it up in a book and write a percentage.... A YEAR?!?!?! are you kidding me?!?!? My wife and I were very adamant about stayin on top of it every step of the way. Whoever had the package or something for action was called by us almost daily with "Is is done yet?", "What else needs to be done", and "Ok, so now that its done who have you sent it to, why did you send it to them, and what is thier name and contact number?". We harrassed everyone along the whole process.

I dont know if this got it done faster or not since i dont plan on appealing anything which I understand can lengthen the process. All I know is there were a ton of times where I asked why something hasnt been done with it and i received no answer, and the thing in question then got done that day. The point is that its alot better in my opionion to keep on top of everyone in the chain and dont worry about "annoying them", its thier job!!! If you feel that they are going slower because you are calling them alot, then call thier boss and so on... This is YOUR package and YOUR life. I hope everyone here has the smoothest possible time through this nightmare process as it can really do a number on you mentally depending on how long it takes... Good luck all!

SSgt Gettin Out

To all,

I'm also going through the PEB process and am now at the end awating VA ratings for my unfit condition. Needless to say its been 3 weeks with the VA so far for the rating. It absolutely boggles my mind how it takes so long to look up a condition in the VASRD and apply the rating that is already written there.... That being said, just a word of advice for all that are going through this process. It seems to me that people along the process have no idea how much it affects the service member themselves when they know they are getting out and are forced to stay in longer due to the laziness of other people (I'm not saying all peblo's or everyone at the VA is lazy BTW). I know when i first started this process (6 months ago) and got the little pamphlet that told me the timeline was from 90 to 360 days i was absolutely dumbfounded. I mean, break down what has to happen in your own head. MEB should go quick, appts should be made, a summary of your conditions is written, that goes back to the peblo who then mails it to washington for fit/unfit and then to the VA to look it up in a book and write a percentage.... A YEAR?!?!?! are you kidding me?!?!? My wife and I were very adamant about stayin on top of it every step of the way. Whoever had the package or something for action was called by us almost daily with "Is is done yet?", "What else needs to be done", and "Ok, so now that its done who have you sent it to, why did you send it to them, and what is thier name and contact number?". We harrassed everyone along the whole process.

I dont know if this got it done faster or not since i dont plan on appealing anything which I understand can lengthen the process. All I know is there were a ton of times where I asked why something hasnt been done with it and i received no answer, and the thing in question then got done that day. The point is that its alot better in my opionion to keep on top of everyone in the chain and dont worry about "annoying them", its thier job!!! If you feel that they are going slower because you are calling them alot, then call thier boss and so on... This is YOUR package and YOUR life. I hope everyone here has the smoothest possible time through this nightmare process as it can really do a number on you mentally depending on how long it takes... Good luck all!

SSgt Gettin Out

Not sure if you have a time line I havent had a chance to look but can you give a little bit more info like where you are going through the process, how long have you been going through and if you have more than one condition. I know you say you didnt appeal any thing so that may be one reason for yours going through so quick. Apparently they dont like any appeals and I have been told over and over how much Harder I Am Making It For Myself and other crap to discourage you from fighting. I was calling daily and dropping by weekely and still im at 14 months. I am happy you are going through smoothly and I hope you all the best pleas keep us updated.