Found Out I'm Getting Med Boarded - Please Drop Some Knowledge

I'm brand new as a registered member of this great website, however I have been searching for different information on here for a while. Before I get started on my situation, I want to thank those of you with knowledge regarding this process for helping calm my anxiety in advance. I would truly appreciate if anyone can provide me with some knowledge that will help me feel as though there is hope for my situation. Here it goes...

I found out about a week ago, from my Mental Health provider, that I was put on a Code 37, and am going to be going through the MEB process. He also informed me, at this same appointment, that he had already submitted my NARSUM earlier that morning to the PEBLO. Keep in mind, this all was a shock to me. I knew there was a possibility of getting MEB'd, but this all got thrown on me in one morning. In the same week as finding this out, I was emailed a Commander's Impact Statement that was already filled out by my Commander. No one reached out to me regarding CIS, and his letter was very opinionated. I had a DUI in mid 2020, however I had been seeing Mental Health on a regular basis since August of 2019. The Commander blamed all of my problems on my previous DUI charge in his letter. I was shocked to see this, as you can imagine, due to the fact that he doesn't know the full story regarding my struggles with Mental Health. Like I said, he literally blamed all of my problems on the DUI charge I received. He disagreed with the doctors, or I assume that's where he got the information for the letter? The doctors however saw that as something that happened due to self medicating, knowing that my mental health issues were already ongoing before the DUI. Also, I'm taking two different medications that I have been told are not medications that allow me deploy while on them. These medications treat severe ongoing mental health issues that I've been struggling with.

So, that's where my situation is at right now, and I'm extremely anxious because I don't what my future is going to look like. Can anyone help me with any knowledge that may help? I genuinely appreciate the help!

I'm brand new as a registered member of this great website, however I have been searching for different information on here for a while. Before I get started on my situation, I want to thank those of you with knowledge regarding this process for helping calm my anxiety in advance. I would truly appreciate if anyone can provide me with some knowledge that will help me feel as though there is hope for my situation. Here it goes...

I found out about a week ago, from my Mental Health provider, that I was put on a Code 37, and am going to be going through the MEB process. He also informed me, at this same appointment, that he had already submitted my NARSUM earlier that morning to the PEBLO. Keep in mind, this all was a shock to me. I knew there was a possibility of getting MEB'd, but this all got thrown on me in one morning. In the same week as finding this out, I was emailed a Commander's Impact Statement that was already filled out by my Commander. No one reached out to me regarding CIS, and his letter was very opinionated. I had a DUI in mid 2020, however I had been seeing Mental Health on a regular basis since August of 2019. The Commander blamed all of my problems on my previous DUI charge in his letter. I was shocked to see this, as you can imagine, due to the fact that he doesn't know the full story regarding my struggles with Mental Health. Like I said, he literally blamed all of my problems on the DUI charge I received. He disagreed with the doctors, or I assume that's where he got the information for the letter? The doctors however saw that as something that happened due to self medicating, knowing that my mental health issues were already ongoing before the DUI. Also, I'm taking two different medications that I have been told are not medications that allow me deploy while on them. These medications treat severe ongoing mental health issues that I've been struggling with.

So, that's where my situation is at right now, and I'm extremely anxious because I don't what my future is going to look like. Can anyone help me with any knowledge that may help? I genuinely appreciate the help!
So I have some good news for you! The commander's statement is more about if you are fit or unfit for duty. The commander's opinion on what has caused it should have little to no bearing on anything. Since your medical records state you have had mental issues before that time I wouldn't worry about that. It seems odd that a NARSUM has been completed before you knew about being enrolled in IDES. Have you been contacted by a MSC to fill out the forms to do your VA claims yet? I don't see how your doctor could complete a NARSUM before you finished your C&P exams since that is part of the documentation they would review to write a NARSUM.

So I have some good news for you! The commander's statement is more about if you are fit or unfit for duty. The commander's opinion on what has caused it should have little to no bearing on anything. Since your medical records state you have had mental issues before that time I wouldn't worry about that. It seems odd that a NARSUM has been completed before you knew about being enrolled in IDES. Have you been contacted by a MSC to fill out the forms to do your VA claims yet? I don't see how your doctor could complete a NARSUM before you finished your C&P exams since that is part of the documentation they would review to write a NARSUM.
Hello @Provis and thank you for the information! So in regards to the Commander's statement, because he blamed all of my previous mental health issues on the DUI in 2020, he selected "Retain" on the letter. Additionally, the way it was written clearly negates medical records. Do you know what information is given to the CC when they are asked to write the impact statement? If my medical records clearly indicate that I'm unfit for duty, will the CC impact statement as I described muddy the waters? Thanks so much for the reply!

Hello @Provis and thank you for the information! So in regards to the Commander's statement, because he blamed all of my previous mental health issues on the DUI in 2020, he selected "Retain" on the letter. Additionally, the way it was written clearly negates medical records. Do you know what information is given to the CC when they are asked to write the impact statement? If my medical records clearly indicate that I'm unfit for duty, will the CC impact statement as I described muddy the waters? Thanks so much for the reply!
@Provis I forgot to reply to your mention of my NARSUM being already written before any VA appointments... I thought that was odd as well, personally. Have you ever heard of this happening like that before?

Get ready to lose your insanity, death by waiting.

@Provis I forgot to reply to your mention of my NARSUM being already written before any VA appointments... I thought that was odd as well, personally. Have you ever heard of this happening like that before?
Also @Provis No, I have not been contacted by an MSC yet regarding VA appointments...

I doubt that was your NARSUM, there are other documents that can be confused with this. much like @Provis stated that doesnt make sense. The C&P exams are a key part of the NARSUM and im pretty sure they hold the most weight.

@dracon the only thing I could think of that was different in my situation maybe, was that the psychologist who worked with me the most was leaving the hospital to take a new job. Before he left, he informed me he wrote my NARSUM personally. After he left, the pyschiatrist took over my care and he informed me at our last appointment that he had proofread the pyschologist's NARSUM and made slight changes and sent it to the PEBLO.

@dracon the only thing I could think of that was different in my situation maybe, was that the psychologist who worked with me the most was leaving the hospital to take a new job. Before he left, he informed me he wrote my NARSUM personally. After he left, the pyschiatrist took over my care and he informed me at our last appointment that he had proofread the pyschologist's NARSUM and made slight changes and sent it to the PEBLO.
sounds to me like these docs are misunderstanding the process.

So I think there is some miss use of specific language going on here..what you have described isn't accurate. I know you have no control over what you are told, so don't take this as me not believing you. Here are the steps that should happen and if you have missed some of these I suggest talking to your PEBLO. If you don't have a PEBLO, talk to your bases health department Ombudsman or IG.
1. Referal to MEB
2. Assigned PEBLO
3. MEB In-process and legal counseling
4. PEBLO fact finding (med records, command statement, ect)
5. Start claim with VA
6. C&P exams
7. NARSUM (I think you doc used the wrong word before, the summary comes after a 3rd party exam)
8. MEB determination
9. Return to duty or PEB
10. If PEB, results fit/not fit
11. Discharge or return to service

If you think your commander is being unfair. Use the open door policy and talk to them about it in a professional and respectful manner. If that doesn't work use the next higher open door policy. If that doesn't work you can try your bases IG (not the medical IG), but they can only recommend not force your commander to do anything.

Good luck.

@dracon the only thing I could think of that was different in my situation maybe, was that the psychologist who worked with me the most was leaving the hospital to take a new job. Before he left, he informed me he wrote my NARSUM personally. After he left, the pyschatrist took over my care and he informed me at our last appointment that he had proofread the pyschologist's NARSUM and made slight changes and sent it to the PEBLO.
sounds to me like these docs are misunderstanding the process.
I was also sent the Commander's Impact Statement right away too...

So I think there is some miss use of specific language going on here..what you have described isn't accurate. I know you have no control over what you are told, so don't take this as me not believing you. Here are the steps that should happen and if you have missed some of these I suggest talking to your PEBLO. If you don't have a PEBLO, talk to your bases health department Ombudsman or IG.
1. Referal to MEB
2. Assigned PEBLO
3. MEB In-process and legal counseling
4. PEBLO fact finding (med records, command statement, ect)
5. Start claim with VA
6. C&P exams
7. NARSUM (I think you doc used the wrong word before, the summary comes after a 3rd party exam)
8. MEB determination
9. Return to duty or PEB
10. If PEB, results fit/not fit
11. Discharge or return to service

If you think your commander is being unfair. Use the open door policy and talk to them about it in a professional and respectful manner. If that doesn't work use the next higher open door policy. If that doesn't work you can try your bases IG (not the medical IG), but they can only recommend not force your commander to do anything.

Good luck.
@BrokenArrow86 thanks a ton for that list of steps. It appears as though they are using the wrong names of things when updating me... I haven't done MEB In processing and legal counseling yet.

@BrokenArrow86 thanks a ton for that list of steps. It appears as though they are using the wrong names of things when updating me... I haven't done MEB In processing and legal counseling yet.
To answer your previous question about Commander's Statement. The Commander does not have access to your health information. That would be a HIPPA violation. The Commander clicking retain doesn't have much bearing unless your case is borderline which PTSD cases rarely found fit. This process is very tough mentally for anyone let alone a person going through it with PTSD so mentally prepare yourself. This process is slow and no one really knows what the other person is doing. Just make sure that throughout the process you don't concur with anything without consulting legal. I say legal because sometimes the PEBLO will present something for you to agree with and then there are other options. Never sign on the spot. Everyone going through IDES has the option to use a Military lawyer and each step is very important. You don't want to concur if it's not correct. For example, if the NARSUM understates your PTSD that would be something you would want to request a IMR. If the IMR came back with the same results you would want to write a rebuttal. That way if you had to appeal something in the later stages you are showing a trail of objections your wake so to speak.

To answer your previous question about Commander's Statement. The Commander does not have access to your health information. That would be a HIPPA violation. The Commander clicking retain doesn't have much bearing unless your case is borderline which PTSD cases rarely found fit. This process is very tough mentally for anyone let alone a person going through it with PTSD so mentally prepare yourself. This process is slow and no one really knows what the other person is doing. Just make sure that throughout the process you don't concur with anything without consulting legal. I say legal because sometimes the PEBLO will present something for you to agree with and then there are other options. Never sign on the spot. Everyone going through IDES has the option to use a Military lawyer and each step is very important. You don't want to concur if it's not correct. For example, if the NARSUM understates your PTSD that would be something you would want to request a IMR. If the IMR came back with the same results you would want to write a rebuttal. That way if you had to appeal something in the later stages you are showing a trail of objections your wake so to speak.
@Provis Awesome advice! Thanks so much for that information. It is very valuable looking forward! In my situation, the CC blamed everything I'm going through on a DUI charge that occured way after I had started Mental Health treatment. The reason I ask what information is given to the CC from the Doctors is because in the statement the CC claimed I refused all inpatient courses for my issues, which is false. How would he have come up with that statement you know? Also, there is a question on the impact statement that asks "You are encouraged to speak with the Primary Care Manager or Military Provider regarding the Airman's medical condition (including profile recommendations/restrictions, if required), to which the CC checked that he did reach out. Any thoughts? Thanks again for the help! I truly appreciate it!

@Provis Awesome advice! Thanks so much for that information. It is very valuable looking forward! In my situation, the CC blamed everything I'm going through on a DUI charge that occured way after I had started Mental Health treatment. The reason I ask what information is given to the CC from the Doctors is because in the statement the CC claimed I refused all inpatient courses for my issues, which is false. How would he have come up with that statement you know? Also, there is a question on the impact statement that asks "You are encouraged to speak with the Primary Care Manager or Military Provider regarding the Airman's medical condition (including profile recommendations/restrictions, if required), to which the CC checked that he did reach out. Any thoughts? Thanks again for the help! I truly appreciate it!
I would consult legal and and see if there was a way to challenge the commander's statement. Officers are not allowed to give false reports on official documents. Unless they qualified the statement with "to the best of my knowledge" they have no wiggle room. Not that you want to start a war with your commander but there are steps you can take such as speaking to him/her and asking that false statements be changed. If that doesn't work there are other avenues. In the Army there is protocols to challenge a commander which is located in AR 27-10 that contains an Article 138 complaint. There is probably something similar for the AF. Before talking to the Commander or taking any action you should consult JAG which is how I started this comment. Its very important that you know your rights and legal can give you the best way forward to remedy anything that may be incorrect or unjust about your situation.

Thanks a ton. You have been a massive help! @Provis seems like a key theme here is fight like hell to get what is entitled... And to ensure justice is done. Thanks bro.

Thanks a ton. You have been a massive help! @Provis seems like a key theme here is fight like hell to get what is entitled... And to ensure justice is done. Thanks bro.
You are welcome! Yes! Most people don't do that and its a shame. If you can afford a private attorney I always suggest looking into that option. The ramifications of the results of IDES are life altering for better or worse.

I will definitely be exploring my options for a lawyer so I don't get screwed. Also, my takeaway on the Commander's Impact Statement is that it doesn't matter what it says if the medical records debunk everything on the statement. Sound about right? @Provis