Found Unfit PDRL (Traditional Reservist)

DREWK

Registered Member
I was found unfit after the formal board. I will be receiving retirement orders this month. I am curious if anyone had any information in regards to medically retired reservist and TRICARE eligibility.

Background: I was hurt during drill and have spent all my time (12 years) in the reserve component. My formal findings stated Active Duty Retirement PDRL.

Am I eleigible for medically retired TRICARE or only Reserve Retired TRICARE?

I appealed my findings today, so i’m going to be doing a formal board soon what was yours like ?

I was found unfit after the formal board. I will be receiving retirement orders this month. I am curious if anyone had any information in regards to medically retired reservist and TRICARE eligibility.

Background: I was hurt during drill and have spent all my time (12 years) in the reserve component. My formal findings stated Active Duty Retirement PDRL.

Am I eleigible for medically retired TRICARE or only Reserve Retired TRICARE?
If you medically retire with over 30%, yes you get Tricare prime. I medically retired from the NG last year.

If you medically retire with over 30%, yes you get Tricare prime. I medically retired from the NG last year.
Thank you for the quick response. I am retiring at 40%. Did you have to do anything special? What paperwork did you have to get for TRICARE? I’m trying to stay in front of it with my Admin.

I appealed my findings today, so i’m going to be doing a formal board soon what was yours like ?
At first it seemed a little unorganized because I am a reservist which is not as common for them. Overall after the opening remarks from the attorney I answered any questions they had. They deliberated for a little while and then came back with the formal findings. I had to get re-evaluated from the VA but ended up with a total disability rating of 40%. (The entire board was done over the phone, but they made notion that they would eventually be doing virtual boards with cameras).

There's nothing you have to fill out if you have been on tri-care before. The only real question you have going forward is if you and your family will be on Tri-care Prime or Standard. I do standard personally because it is the best of tri-care without the MTF. yes, I have to pay a co-pay, but I don't have to get referrals.

Once you have retirement orders, you can call the tricare customer service and verify enrollment eligibility.

Thank you for the quick response. I am retiring at 40%. Did you have to do anything special? What paperwork did you have to get for TRICARE? I’m trying to stay in front of it with my Admin.
No paperwork, just call Tricare once you receive retirement orders. The rate for family monthly is like 55 dollars a month. Beats my Military tech insurance premium.

No paperwork, just call Tricare once you receive retirement orders. The rate for family monthly is like 55 dollars a month. Beats my Military tech insurance premium.
Also, if your injury is due to training, I would apply for CRSC.

Yet another reason to use tri-care standard... no monthly premium. It really is the best healthcare option in the United States.

There's nothing you have to fill out if you have been on tri-care before. The only real question you have going forward is if you and your family will be on Tri-care Prime or Standard. I do standard personally because it is the best of tri-care without the MTF. yes, I have to pay a co-pay, but I don't have to get referrals.

Once you have retirement orders, you can call the tricare customer service and verify enrollment eligibility.
Thank you. This was very helpful.

Here's a link to a great site to compare Tricare costs based on your status. You shouldn't have a monthly premium with either standard or select. They both have an annual enrollment fee though depending on when you retired.

Here's a link to a great site to compare Tricare costs based on your status. You shouldn't have a monthly premium with either standard or select. They both have an annual enrollment fee though depending on when you retired.

Great link! I didn't realize there was a Tricare Select cost for regular retired and medical retired. I wondered why I wasn't paying a monthly premium.

Wow this is information I didn’t know thanks. So even regular doctor visits, if medically retired, come with a co-pay?

Wow this is information I didn’t know thanks. So even regular doctor visits, if medically retired, come with a co-pay?
If you have tricare standard, you have Co pays with each visit depending on type and specialty.