Found UNFIT with 0% disability with DOD and VA

GenWat84

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I posted a few months back. I entered IDES in April 2018 after I dislocated my elbow and had no improvement when recovering. I had surgery in March 2018 and since then I’ve fully recovered. My goal was to be found fit due to just needing time to recover, nothing more. I was shocked when I read my finding of UNFIT as well as being rated at 0% from DOD and VA. Their reasoning for this was the inability of not completing a PRT and being unable to lift heavy objects as I work with ordnance. I have submitted my request for a FPEB and hoping I can overturn the findings.

What gets me angry is the timeline everything happened. In October 2018, my entire package was completed. However it was not sent to the board until February 2019 and not reviewed until end of May 2019. With such a big gap in time, why wouldn’t they ask for updated information?? Between October and May, I was no longer in physical therapy, no longer seeing a doctor, I got a new eval, I completed a full PRT, and even have proof of my ability to lift heavy objects.

What exactly do they look at? Isn’t there an expiration date to certain paperwork? My NMA and evals are great. I’m just confused on how can they say I’m unfit to stay in but give me nothing in return.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Every report written, medical or otherwise, is like a photograph. A photograph does not show you what was happening 60 seconds before or a minute after it was taken. The IPEB only gets what they get.

Every service provides free legal counsel for members going through the IDES process. I suggest you consider calling legal counsel and asking an attorney to guide your through an appeal to the FPEB. It sounds like you have great evidence of fitness!

Best wishes.

Darkspanner

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
You should go total "Boss" mode and take some weights with you to the formal board and just keep lifting during the evaluation!

GenWat84

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
You should go total "Boss" mode and take some weights with you to the formal board and just keep lifting during the evaluation!
Hahaha.. But what I do have is pictures and videos of me lifting the gear we work on as evidence.

GenWat84

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Every report written, medical or otherwise, is like a photograph. A photograph does not show you what was happening 60 seconds before or a minute after it was taken. The IPEB only gets what they get.

Every service provides free legal counsel for members going through the IDES process. I suggest you consider calling legal counsel and asking an attorney to guide your through an appeal to the FPEB. It sounds like you have great evidence of fitness!

Best wishes.
Thank you. I’ve been in contact with an attorney and he’s been great so far. I just didn’t understand how for one person they returned with a response of needing more info or updated info but didn’t do that for my case considering the paperwork they were looking at was all dated from October 2018 and later.

Guardguy11

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Based on what you have said here, I have no doubt the FPEB will reverse the decision. Make sure your medical documation you bring shows that your doctor also recommends a return to service.

GenWat84

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Based on what you have said here, I have no doubt the FPEB will reverse the decision. Make sure your medical documation you bring shows that your doctor also recommends a return to service.
Will do! Thank you!! I’m hoping on them reversing their decision. There’s a lot of confusion on how they can say I have an unfitting condition but rated at 0%.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">