FPEB results

HCIC6Z

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I don't think I posted anything previously here yet but I wanted to share my little story but i'll keep not not so long winded. 13 year E-6, US Navy... I had IPEB results in August that came back FIT but non deployable. I was being boarded for Rheumatoid Arthritis, chronic pain, depression/anxiety. My board findings literally said "Go-to sailor and expert, reasonably fit to continue service based on evaluations".

That's fine, but anyone in the Navy knows that performance evaluations are never done based on medical conditions, I was looking for an UNFIT finding because a FIT/non deployable just keeps me stagnant as an E-6, i'm an ABH1 and it's a very sea intensive rate, and in my mind I might as well just get out if I can't keep progressing. Plus my RA really fuckin hurts. Might not make sense to some but it makes sense to me. So I appeal it, PEBLO is negative about it and says it probably won't help unless my condition has worsened and all that, i said no appeal it anyway. I get notified October 25th that my board is November 8th. Since they notified me so late I had no time to set up travel through DTS and I said well let's just do it over the phone.

Fast forward to today, the JAG calls me and says they want to make a deal... They found me unfit based on my RA and chronic pain and said they want to recommend you for PDRL or medical severance, depending on VA rating, do you accept? I said sure, so they called about 5 minutes later and read the script, said that I am able resubmit new medical evidence to request a higher VA rating and all that. I plan on that, i've had sacroiliac joint degeneration and its really sucking.

All in all i got what i feel that i wanted/needed. I come to work hurting, i feel like shit, i have 60 sailors that work for me and I don't like setting bad examples (i.e. coming to work depressed, irritated, in pain so i shut myself in the office most of the day). Thanks for reading.

I don't think I posted anything previously here yet but I wanted to share my little story but i'll keep not not so long winded. 13 year E-6, US Navy... I had IPEB results in August that came back FIT but non deployable. I was being boarded for Rheumatoid Arthritis, chronic pain, depression/anxiety. My board findings literally said "Go-to sailor and expert, reasonably fit to continue service based on evaluations".

That's fine, but anyone in the Navy knows that performance evaluations are never done based on medical conditions, I was looking for an UNFIT finding because a FIT/non deployable just keeps me stagnant as an E-6, i'm an ABH1 and it's a very sea intensive rate, and in my mind I might as well just get out if I can't keep progressing. Plus my RA really fuckin hurts. Might not make sense to some but it makes sense to me. So I appeal it, PEBLO is negative about it and says it probably won't help unless my condition has worsened and all that, i said no appeal it anyway. I get notified October 25th that my board is November 8th. Since they notified me so late I had no time to set up travel through DTS and I said well let's just do it over the phone.

Fast forward to today, the JAG calls me and says they want to make a deal... They found me unfit based on my RA and chronic pain and said they want to recommend you for PDRL or medical severance, depending on VA rating, do you accept? I said sure, so they called about 5 minutes later and read the script, said that I am able resubmit new medical evidence to request a higher VA rating and all that. I plan on that, i've had sacroiliac joint degeneration and its really sucking.

All in all i got what i feel that i wanted/needed. I come to work hurting, i feel like shit, i have 60 sailors that work for me and I don't like setting bad examples (i.e. coming to work depressed, irritated, in pain so i shut myself in the office most of the day). Thanks for reading.

I am sorry to hear about your condition and the emotional toll at work I know how bad it sucks and unless you have gone through it people will never really realize how much it hurts ones pride or how it can be embarrassing, even though we have nothing to be embarrassed for, these chronic illnesses change every aspect of our lives and people really just don't understand. So getting a fit finding is cruel both physically and emotionally. I glad to hear that you fought it. Best of luck and hope that your able to find some relief soon.

Glad this worked out in your favor.

I would ride the VARR hard. While you want out what the VA does will effect the rest of your life. I second the comment by @Navy757 your health is not a reflection on who you are. No one in their right mind choses a chronic condition like RA.