Friend getting chaptered out

I have a friend who is having suicidal thoughts and has Tourette’s (though not officially diagnosed). These issues have been bothering him quite a bit and they have interfered with his ability to work. As a result, they are going to give him an article 15 and a chapter (they gave him a counseling stating that today. His First Sgt is with his Sgt on this)

just today, his sergeant gave him a counseling stating that he is recommending him for an Article 15 and chapter. Now, he was planning to go to behavioral health today for help but now he is not sure if he can now since they have given him the counseling on recommendation for separation from army already.

So I’m wondering if he does go to behavioral health, will they at least consider looking into his issues as a reason for his behavior and not just give him a dishonorable discharge or a discharge under bad conduct? If they do, what will happen? Will he get med boarded instead or get an administrative discharge?

Thanks

I have a friend who is having suicidal thoughts and has Tourette’s (though not officially diagnosed). These issues have been bothering him quite a bit and they have interfered with his ability to work. As a result, they are going to give him an article 15 and a chapter (they gave him a counseling stating that today. His First Sgt is with his Sgt on this)

just today, his sergeant gave him a counseling stating that he is recommending him for an Article 15 and chapter. Now, he was planning to go to behavioral health today for help but now he is not sure if he can now since they have given him the counseling on recommendation for separation from army already.

So I’m wondering if he does go to behavioral health, will they at least consider looking into his issues as a reason for his behavior and not just give him a dishonorable discharge or a discharge under bad conduct? If they do, what will happen? Will he get med boarded instead or get an administrative discharge?

Thanks
I mean as of right now he’s technically still in the military so he can definitely still go to mental health. They’ll at least get things documented. Just say he’s going to mental health the next 5 months or so I don’t think they can just kick him out especially if his disability is service connected. Just my opinion.

Can they still med board him? And how will he be able to convince the people in charge of the chaptering process that it is service connected?

Can they still med board him? And how will he be able to convince the people in charge of the chaptering process that it is service connected?
I also don’t think there going to rush him to a med board. They always try to fix you for th most part. I’m not sure how to convince them I’m not sure of his disability and how it started. Only he’d know that information. My condition is ptsd so I just explained all of what happened to cause it and they make the determination. I’ve been going to mental health about it for over a year now so I have plenty of documentation.

The MEB is completely separate from the administrative separation - at least until the end. If he gets into the MEB/PEB process the separation authority will make a decision at the end whether to medically or administratively separate him. He won’t be discharged until the MEB/PEB is complete. However, it’s really up to the doctors whether there will be an MEB.

I also don’t think there going to rush him to a med board. They always try to fix you for th most part. I’m not sure how to convince them I’m not sure of his disability and how it started. Only he’d know that information. My condition is ptsd so I just explained all of what happened to cause it and they make the determination. I’ve been going to mental health about it for over a year now so I have plenty of documentation.

have they given you meds? Have they worked?

have they given you meds? Have they worked?
Yes they have given me meds and not really. It was better then I started at first but things started to get bad again and now I’m just sucking up the side effects of it. Headaches and upset stomach a lot of the times.

@Bd123 , there are so many variable to this situation.

- The only way you can get "med boarded" is if one of three things happens
-- Your PCM deems your condition is unfavorable or unfitting to continued military service
-- Your commander says this member is unable to continue military service due to health issues
-- Due to being on a physical profile for longer than 365 days, an automatic review is started to determine future military service

In your friend's situation, the mental health provider should work directly with the PCM to determine if therapy and medicine could return the member to service. The administrative side is on a completely different train track running parallel to the mental health track.

Worst case scenario, your friend is administratively separated before mental health pushes an IRILO (initial review in lieu of) discharge. Since your friend is active duty, all of his issues are service connected and will be covered by the VA health system. He will be able to apply for VA compensation for a service connected "injury" and will most likely receive compensation and continued health care through the VA. This VA compensation will be more money than he would make from AD chapter 61 pay anyway, but he won't receive the Tricare for life like he would with a chapter 61 retirement.

Bottom line, your friend will receive mental health care one way or another regardless of this administrative actions against him.

Tourette syndrome is a common neurodevelopmental disorder that begins in childhood or adolescence. As such, unless the members has 8 YOS or more, the condition would be consider as Existed Prior To Service. EPTS conditions can only be compensated if the service made the condition worse.

I recommend that the member go to MH anyways. Treatment will increase his ability to get a new job should he be chaptered. More importantly, he is suicidal. This should be treated ASAP. Please keep a close watch over your friend. Many people do not understand Tourette and thus respond unfavorably to the individual. Thanks for being his buddy.

If MH has a secondary diagnose, that may be compensable.

It's very common for those facing misconduct action from their CoC to claim MH some have underlaying issues others not so much. Only a therapist can decern that but an intake exam does ask if you are facing misconduct from your CoC and from their they are more suspect of your self reports. Given that we have no idea what's going on but if they are not showing up for work this is by far the easiest way to get hosed by your CoC. The CoC is more supportive if you seek MH before they decide to take action against you for misconduct or for no shows.