Genetic diseases

TRome93

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello everyone,

Active duty Marine here. I have recently been diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis (CF) which is a genetic disease. There is a vast range of severity for this disease, and I am on the low end, but nevertheless it makes me undeployable. So assuming they push me out, does anyone have any input on what I will be able to claim? I am very new to the MEB and PEB process. I was planning on making this a career, will The military see this as a pre-existing condition and basically wash their hands of me? Or will I be able to receive some compensation? Even if that is just being allowed to keep tricker at a reasonable rate. Thanks for the help!

If you have other conditions that are unfitting you might achieve 30% DoD. CF is truly a genetic disease therefore existed prior to service. Thankfully you are at "the low end."

Mike,

First, thank you for your response. So I would have to show how the Military aggravated my condition if I were to receive anything? How does that work for certain diseases like Bone Cancer, Diabetes, or Sickle Cell? Diseases that may also be linked genetically to a person. Thanks again!

How could the service aggravate CF? That's highly doubtful how long have you been in? Genetic disorders typically get compensated when the service member has eight years of continuous active service (eight-year rule). I have a genetic disorder compensated by the VA under this rule.

Yea, that’s why I’m asking these questions. I’ll have to talk with my doctor about aggregated symptoms. But given my job, aircraft painter and composite repair mechanic, I wouldn’t be suprised if it the chemicals somehow impacted me. So if you don’t mind me asking, after 8 years, they just gave you benefits, no questions? With the VA at least.

Yes we have an old thread on it