Getting MEB and have reenlisted last year with bonus

dwair

Registered Member
Hello,

So ive been in going on 7 years and im a ssgt. Im getting Medical boarded for bipolar disorder type 2. I reenlisted last december and got a bonus, doc said he wasnt going to start the MEB paperwork till we find meds that help, then he will start the paperwork. My guess is I will be out around oct of next year. Now will I have to pay back my bonus? Also how does severance pay work, will I be eligible? Thanks!

What branch of military are you in.
I know in the Air Force you do NOT have to.
Here is the ref. for that:
AFI AFI36-2606:

2.17.2. SRB termination and recoupment is not appropriate when an airman:
Separates prior to completion of the term of enlistment for any reason other than those listed in the DoDPM.
Is not technically qualified in the SRB skill because of injury, illness, or other impairment that didn't result from misconduct; loses a security clearance or other mandatory qualification for reasons other than misconduct; or for failure to attain performance standards higher than those in effect at the time of the initial bonus payment.
Is reassigned to duty outside the SRB skill for service-directed reasons.
2.17.2.1. The MPF Chief (or designated representative) reviews the circumstances to ensure a termination and recoupment case is not required. (NOTE: Unit commander involvement is only required when the MPF Chief believes it's necessary.)

It is my understanding that in any branch you keep your bonus unless your discharge is because of misconduct. I also got bonus and did not have to pay it back.

Good luck.

I am Air Force, sorry should have included that. Okay so that solves that. However what are the reasons listed in the DoDPM? Also Severance pay? Still looking for that answer. Thanks so much!

You receive severance pay if you are rated between 0-20%. 30% or greater, you are retired (in which case you do not receive severance pay, but lifelong health insurance/pension).

Severance pay is calculated by your base pay x years of service x 2. Retired pay works differently, if you are placed on the TDRL you get at least 50% (unless you have a rating higher than 50%, in which case you get that percentage, up to 75%). PDRL you get whatever your rating is, up to 75%.

The repayment policy for bonuses is Dod wide. Please see DoD Financial Management Regulation 7000,14-R Volumen 7A, Chapter 2: Please click on the link below, then select Chapter 2. The Table that explains ur case is Table 2-1 on page 2-6.

VOLUME 7A TABLE OF CONTENTS: Office of the Under Secretary of Defense (Comptroller)

As stated earlier, if your injuries were not a result of misconduct... then you will not have to repay your reenlistment bonus. Also, if you were deployed and your injury occured in a combat zone or combat related op, then you will also receive the rest of your bonus if you still have any payments pending. If thats the case, make sure your IPEB results list the correct combat related code. Get with your local Medical Evaluation Board Outreach Counsel's office and have an attorney check your peb results before you sign off on them. Good Luck.