Getting ready to start in DES Pilot Program

swblue

PEB Forum Regular Member
I am a First Class in the US Navy with 12 years most of which performing installs aboard Submarines. I have had a fusion of L4/L5 L5/S1 and recently found a buldge at the L3/L4 disc. My question is in the 5000 series I have alot of stuff in my record that falls under more than one of the codes. Which would they use to give me a %, I see anything from 10%-60%? Just wondering! Wonderful site with lots of good info.
CTM1 Blue

Getting ready to start in DES Pilor

I've been having back problems. I had a question about what they use to diagnose back problems that are serious enough to need surgery. Do they spot it from X-rays, or is it primarily from an MRI?

I saw the X-rays for my back, pairs of vertebrae looked like little pacmen trying to take a huge bite of something.

Good luck finding the information you want here!

It starts with the Xray then MRI to really look at the room for the nerve roots as well as the disc them selves. My doc tried to start with the least evasive ie back injections. This did not help me much so he ordered a disc agram (best i can do with the spelling) this is when they strss the disc by injection fluid into the disc and taking a (MRI/CT dont recall) but this hurt a bunch. It increased all the pain down my legs and felt like i would break in half. After that we went for the fusion, 4-5 days in the hospital with little time laying around. They have you out of bed the next day sitting then walking. After getting home about 30 good days of needing pain meds and about 6 months befor I was cleared to do normal activities. But always a but my pain came back when i drove for 12 hours to go visit family sat in a chair and leaned forward. Went back to doc and now i have a buldge above the fusion. So i live in pain every day which stinks since i am only 31 with a wife and three little ones that like to play. Hope this helped, if you have any other question just ask. Scott

Scott,

Welcome to PEBFORUM!

For Back and Spine Injuries and Conditions it is usually not so important which code they use, because they will rate on the General Schedule of Back and Spine Injuries.

Best of luck with the process and let us know any questions.

Scott, thank you for the info. I'm hoping to keep the pain from getting much worse by stretching and strength exercises for the lower back. It actually does seeem to help for a while.

Being young and broken is cruel and unusual punishment. Being broken period just sucks. Hard.

I believe TM is torpedoman, but I'm not familiar with the CTM rate.

-Guy