Going into a PEB process.

I have a question, hopefully someone can help me with. I a currently Navy served for 11 years and had back surgery last November. I have not received any help with the pain other than the medication prescribed. I was told by my Dr. today that next month I will be processing to a PEB. What are some of the things I need to know, like percentages, retirement? I had a spinal fusion on my L4/L5 and have spinal stenosis and Degenerative Disc Disease. The pain is 8 on a scale of 0-10. I still have to use a cane to assist me in walking and was told that another surgery would be in my future. If anyone can help with information that would be greatly appreciated.

I have a question, hopefully someone can help me with. I a currently Navy served for 11 years and had back surgery last November. I have not received any help with the pain other than the medication prescribed. I was told by my Dr. today that next month I will be processing to a PEB. What are some of the things I need to know, like percentages, retirement? I had a spinal fusion on my L4/L5 and have spinal stenosis and Degenerative Disc Disease. The pain is 8 on a scale of 0-10. I still have to use a cane to assist me in walking and was told that another surgery would be in my future. If anyone can help with information that would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Indeed, being knowledgeable about the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process shall definitely enhance a military service member's opportunities to receive the best outcome for any potential DoD disability benefits and DoVA disability compensation upon successful completion. Upon your referral and acceptance in the DoD IDES process, you shall be assigned a PEBLO who shall be your military liaison throughout until official completion. During the initial counseling by your assigned PEBLO, he/she should provide and/or explain the entire IDES process at that particular point in time. So, be certain to ask plenty of questions at the initial counseling session if you have any.

In the interim, it's highly beneficial to review the regulation governing the DoD IDES process, the IDES revised timeliness goals guidance, and the 38 CFR VASRD as provided in the aforementioned hyperlinks. Also, it may be helpful to visit the Military Disability Made Easy website established by a team of military medical professionals. Their disclaimer of liability states "Military Disability Made Easy, Inc. assumes or undertakes no liability for any loss or damage suffered as a result of the use, misuse or reliance on the information and content on this website. We strive to provide all information accurately, but all guidance and opinions are intended only to aide the veteran in their personal education."

With that all said, definitely enjoy your readings about the DoD IDES process and the other references as provided above in order to become proficiently knowledgeable while navigating thru the DoD IDES with the assistance of your assigned PEBLO upon being officially referred and accepted. By all means, please continue to ask/post any future inquiries via the PEBFORUM for continued support with receiving sound insightful information.

In retrospect while on military active duty in the U.S. Army, I too had an ALIF L4/5 (lumbar spinal fusion), a pain level of an 8 out of 10, and use a walking cane albeit I am precisely done with any future lumbar spine medical surgeries at any given point in time as a military disabled veteran. ;) Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

So you were separated from service because of your surgery or did you get a retirement?
Well, my ALIF L4/5 spinal fusion was partially successful albeit I experienced residual symptomology and was involved in a motor vehicle accident as a pedestrian (e.g., struck by a SUV) and therefore became even more disabled at that particular point in time. Also, my PTSD symptomology urgently required numerous inpatient healthcare treatments at both military and civilian mental healthcare facilities.

That said, I was referred and accepted into the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process for my thoracolumbar spine condition then I had to submit a MEB appeal to have my PTSD condition added as "medically unacceptable" via a successful IMR. Ultimately, I had two PEB-referred "unfit for duty" military conditions which received a DoD combined rating of 70% and placement onto the DoD military TDRL for the PTSD condition only.

In retrospect, I was placed onto the DoD military TDRL upon completing the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process in May 2014. To that extent, I remained on the TDRL for over 4 calendar years until I was officially placed onto the DoD military PDRL at a DoD (Army) 100% disability rating in June 2018. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!