script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js">

Going into MEDBOARD w/ 100% VA P&T

panzefaust

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
So my LOD got approved today and I did my counseling with my awesome LTC. I chose IDES like a lot of you reccomended. I am a reservist with extensive combat and deployment experience. I am getting chaptered for my right shoulder that I have had 4x surgeries on and currently have a 30% VA rating for it. My questions are:

1) Does it help that I'm going into an IDES with a VA rating of 100% P&T?
2) Will the IDES accept my current VA rating? If so, will it speed up the process?
3) If my 100% P&T is honored am I guranteed at least 30% military retirement percentage?

Sorry in advance if I get I got any lingo wrong. This site awesome!

DJ

tony292

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
The only “help” having a 100% rating will give you is that the PEB will very likely find you unfit. Otherwise there is no real advantage at the PEB.

As for number 2 and 3, IDES will accept your VA rating but a 100% VA rating does not automatically mean any specific DOD percentage. You could get a 100% DOD rating or you could get a 10% DOD rating. Remember VA rates everything, DOD only rates conditions they find unfitting.

panzefaust

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Thank you very much Sir! So I will continue to keep my 100% P&T? I have no risk of losing it?

Josh C

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
In your case i don't think it would really be beneficial to go with the IDES since they will normally have you go and get re evaluated by the va and it is possible they could change the rating. The LDES just looks at your current VA ratings and the DOD has to rate it the same as it is currently rated. So if your shoulder is rated 30% and that's the unfiting condition they would use the 30% and give you a medical retirement.

I'm guard and rated 90% and opted for the LDES after talking to a lawyer.

SFC H

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
2) Will the IDES accept my current VA rating? If so, will it speed up the process?
3) If my 100% P&T is honored am I guranteed at least 30% military retirement percentage?

1. In the IDES you will be provided lawyers that will help with appeals, if there are any.
2. Your current rating WILL be considered. I signed a counseling statement (provided by my MSC) stating I was not seeking any compensation from the VA to protect my current VA rating. Did it work? Yes, but my DOD disability percentage is lower for the same disability.
3.Yes, but the max DoD percentage is 75%.

SFC H

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
If it is possible, i would ask for VA examiners instead of QTC examiners during your C&P exams. I personally feel that QTC examiners do not have the veteran in their best interest and are biased.

Josh C

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Your correct that the DOD cant change a rating but if you go through the IDES the VA will make you go in and get evaluated on all your conditions to include the ones you have ratings on and that's where your ratings can get changed by the VA. If you go into the LDES the VA isn't involved and the DOD is then forced to use your current rating because the DOD cant change your ratings. That's why if you have a high VA rating it makes sense to go LDES and you ratings cant change. If you go into the LDES at least with the AF they make you talk to a lawyer and the lawyer and yourself must sign the forms saying you understand what you're opting into.

LeoS

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
So my LOD got approved today and I did my counseling with my awesome LTC. I chose IDES like a lot of you recommended. I am a reservist with extensive combat and deployment experience. I am getting chaptered for my right shoulder that I have had 4x surgeries on and currently have a 30% VA rating for it. My questions are:

3) If my 100% P&T is honored am I guaranteed at least 30% military retirement percentage?

Sorry in advance if I get I got any lingo wrong. This site awesome!

DJ

When you meet with your VA MSC you will have the option of choosing the specific issues you want the VA to re-evaluate, in particular, what the Army has deemed as unfitting.
In the IDES process, you do not have to have every issue you are currently rated for through the VA re-evaluated.

It does behoove you to have the MEB medical doctor take a closer look at your records if you have supporting documentation for other unfitting conditions that may not be on your documentation that initiated your MEB. If there is enough documentation supporting those conditions, they can add them.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
Leo

panzefaust

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Your correct that the DOD cant change a rating but if you go through the IDES the VA will make you go in and get evaluated on all your conditions to include the ones you have ratings on and that's where your ratings can get changed by the VA. If you go into the LDES the VA isn't involved and the DOD is then forced to use your current rating because the DOD cant change your ratings. That's why if you have a high VA rating it makes sense to go LDES and you ratings cant change. If you go into the LDES at least with the AF they make you talk to a lawyer and the lawyer and yourself must sign the forms saying you understand what you're opting into.
Thanks Josh. Didnt know you can use your 100% P&T for your LDES rating.

Jayleigh

Registered Member
Hey I just went through the same process. I was 100% VA P&T and went through the IDES process and received 100%DOD. Just know that pay rate is 75% MAX.

RonG

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Hey I just went through the same process. I was 100% VA P&T and went through the IDES process and received 100%DOD. Just know that pay rate is 75% MAX.
and...that pay is reduced by the amount of VA compensation received in accordance with current law.

This might of interest later: A Supplement to CRSC Information <---LINK to CRSC Info

Ron

panzefaust

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Since you were 100% P&T going into the IDES did the VA reevaluate you? Or did they just go over the last evaluation they did and accept that?

Jayleigh

Registered Member
@panzefaust I was re-evaluated as my first 100% rating was given in 2017. However after re-evaluation during my C&P appointments they found no change.

Xt500

Registered Member
I am in the same position. I am already being told that I will have examinations, for my referred conditions. My VA (PEBLO Appointed), Rep. Tells me to fill out a 21-4138 stating I would like only my conditions looked at for IDES purposes only. Is that going to hold up, will the VA come back and raise a flag somehow?

tony292

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Josh is correct but that scenario only applies to a TDRL reexam. If you’re PDRL, and Permanent and total = no more exams.

Xt500

Registered Member
I am PDRL, and am still being told I will need c&p exams for my referred conditions. However, my VA rep. Had me fill out some VA form 21-4138. I stated that in a post further up already. I guess my question is, will that stick in the VA's eyes, and I will remain at my current rate?

SFC H

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I am PDRL, and am still being told I will need c&p exams for my referred conditions. However, my VA rep. Had me fill out some VA form 21-4138. I stated that in a post further up already. I guess my question is, will that stick in the VA's eyes, and I will remain at my current rate?

I’m confused, your are already on PDRL (Permanente Disability Retired List)?