Got my results today

jgjizzle

PEB Forum Regular Member
10% Discharge with severance pay. Was at the IPEB for 10 weeks. All in all just glad to get it over with. A couple quick questions:

1. When do I receive the severance pay?

2. How do I go about getting the taxed amount for the severance pay back?

Will gladly answer any questions anyone has and would greatly appreciate any information you can provide.

Wow, I can't believe it took that long, without some sort of update after the 6 weeks! This is totally affecting my life and I am just now at 6 weeks. I can't imagine 4 more weeks for the result! I can't plan leave or visitation with my kids, and everything else is in limbo. I sent an e-mail to my PEBLO 2 days ago requesting leave next week. She forwarded it to the IPEB and I still haven't received an answer. They are so concerned that I don't take leave without their approval??? Good to hear that you finally got an answer and I hope it was the outcome you were looking for.

10% Discharge with severance pay. Was at the IPEB for 10 weeks. All in all just glad to get it over with. A couple quick questions:

1. When do I receive the severance pay?

2. How do I go about getting the taxed amount for the severance pay back?

Will gladly answer any questions anyone has and would greatly appreciate any information you can provide.

jgizzle,

I am glad the process is over and I hope the outcome was what you wanted.

Severance pay should come after your final active duty pay. When it hits exactly has to do, I believe, on what date the pay analyst at DFAS inputs your payment. They have certain dates they pay out, so if it does not go in before a payment "gate" is hit, you have to wait till the next one. I would call DFAS direct to make sure they are tracking after you get your separation orders. Anyone else who has gone through separation recently, please weigh in if your experience was different. This post says 20 days after your separation: http://www.pebforum.com/transition-issues/4903-severance-pay-timing.html

As for getting taxes refunded, did you read this post? http://www.pebforum.com/general-discussion/233-tax-refund-disability-severance-pay.html#post478

I can understand why you would be glad it is over with but are you confident 10% is the right rating? There is so much at stake that will effect you for life. I can understand wanting to move on now. If you don't want to challenge the rating now, at a minimum, learn your condition and how it is rated per the VASRD. Ensure the VA rates it is correctly. If the VA rates it at 30% +, appeal your case to the DoD level Physical Disability Board of Review and you may very well receive lifetime retirement vice one time separation.

Mike

Jason, I did read the tax refund thread but there were still some issues that confused me. What would happen if I get my severance pay this year (gonna happen) but the VA doesn't give me a rating until next year (prob gonna happen). The thread says I must ask for my tax refund by Dec 31 of the year I receive it. How is this possible?

Also, why did my PEBLO just tell me to wait til I filed my taxes and tell them I got taxed for xx.xx amount and they will give it 2 me than?

maparker, I am sooo drained from this ordeal I am just ready to get on with my life and I am actually satisfied with the deal I got rather than get TDRL and 1G a month which wouldn't do jack for me at the moment. I will keep in mind what the VA has to say about me but I do feel like they rated me accurately. Thanks for the advice nonetheless.