Got P&T, now what?

RickGrimes

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I was finally awarded 100% P&T.

I did see something weird, but am not going to question it.

I used to have 10% TBI and 70% PTSD as two separate ratings.

Now they are combined... 70% PTSD and 40% TBI? Not really sure what that means.. but I am still 100% combined for everything, and now P&T.

My question is

I am confused about Chapter 35 benefits.

Does my spouse get tuition and fees + the stipend, or just the stipend? It is very hard to understand the verbiage used in the brochure.

Happy Holidays everyone!

It's a set monthly amount, but in Aug 2018 it will increase by $200, but the entitlement months will be reduced from 45 to 36 months. Similar to MGIB, you get the payment to use for tuition and fees. Current monthly amount is $1,041.

Each dependent can use this entitlement.

I was finally awarded 100% P&T.

I did see something weird, but am not going to question it.

I used to have 10% TBI and 70% PTSD as two separate ratings.

Now they are combined... 70% PTSD and 40% TBI? Not really sure what that means.. but I am still 100% combined for everything, and now P&T.

My question is

I am confused about Chapter 35 benefits.

Does my spouse get tuition and fees + the stipend, or just the stipend? It is very hard to understand the verbiage used in the brochure.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Depending on the state you live in, your dependents may also qualify for reduced fee or zero fee tuition.

In addition to the dependents educational assistance, there are many other benefits available to those who are 100% P&T. I'll list what I have taken advantage of in the State of CA.

1. Dependents Educational Assistance and Full Tuition Waiver for my two dependents (approx. $45000 stipend to each child, plus zero tuition to UC Davis and UC Santa Cruz)
2. Property Tax waiver for CA state taxes (reduces the assessed value of the home by $127,510 in my county) saving me $1275 per year)
3. Complete forgiveness of Federal Student Loans (saved me $85000)
4. Free vehicle license and registration/plates for one vehicle in household (saves me $800 per year)
5. Free entrance to CA State Parks (approx. $20 each time I visit (about $1000 per year))

There may be many more benefits in your state too.

Last edited:
The may have put your TBI and PTSD together bc someone said it is not possible to differentiate the two. Ch 35 only gets you the stipend. No tuition or books.

Depending on the state you live in, your dependents may also qualify for reduced fee or zero fee tuition.
Here in TX, the Hazlewood Act makes tuition $0!

There's no difference if I follow what you are saying correctly. Separately, 70% PTSD and 10% TBI gives you a total percentage of 73% which would get rounded down to 70%. With a 70/40 combined rating your percentage will also be 70%. Obviously you are still 100% P&T per your first post which is really all that matters. As I said in my previous post, one of the examiners may have decided that your PTSD and TBI conditions cannot be separated and that it is impossible to determine what portion of each residual/symptom represents residuals of TBI without undue speculation. Therefore, to avoid pyramiding those two conditions, they are evaluated as one.

There's no difference if I follow what you are saying correctly. Separately, 70% PTSD and 10% TBI gives you a total percentage of 73% which would get rounded down to 70%. With a 70/40 combined rating your percentage will also be 70%. Obviously you are still 100% P&T per your first post which is really all that matters. As I said in my previous post, one of the examiners may have decided that your PTSD and TBI conditions cannot be separated and that it is impossible to determine what portion of each residual/symptom represents residuals of TBI without undue speculation. Therefore, to avoid pyramiding those two conditions, they are evaluated as one.

It's odd... I have a history of headaches, yet they downgraded migraines from 10% to 0%.

I got a letter saying I have chap 35, but I still have another exam scheduled for my hand.

Very odd... but I'm not arguing with p&t.

It's odd... I have a history of headaches, yet they downgraded migraines from 10% to 0%.

I got a letter saying I have chap 35, but I still have another exam scheduled for my hand.

Very odd... but I'm not arguing with p&t.
Indeed, you can still fight the migraines downgrade via a DoVA NOD if you believe your medical evidence and/or medical documentation truly supports a higher DoVA rating; never default acceptance to any injustices and don't just compromise either at least in my experienced opinon!

That all said, in my particular situation with an overall DoVA P&T rating too, if I had just accepted defeat and/or compromise, I would not have received a favorable DoVA NOD granting TBI, IBS, & migraines military service-connection nearly 3.2 years after placement onto the DoD military TDRL. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!