Guillean-Barre Syndrome questions

Hell all, I just got back from my doctor's appointment to discuss the results of my sleep apnea. I was initially told that I was diagnosed with sleeap apnea and approved to get the corrective surgery.

However, I was then dropped a huge bomb. I've been having assorted problems with my nervous system (twitching, numbness, strentgth loss etc...) and was told that I might have guillean-barre syndrome. Now, my package is awaiting adjudication but the revelation of sleep apnea and a possible autoimmune nervous disease has me wondering what happens next. Since those conditions won't be included, should I request a FPEB and can I then present the new findings? I've tried finding it in the VASRD but can only find a code of 8099 or 8011 but no instructions or ratings are assosciated with it. Can anyone help me out?

I'm all of the place since this was dropped on me. Thanks all!

Sorry to hear of your troubles. As hard as it is try to breath. They told you might have? The unfortunate thing about some nervous system disorders is actually pinning down an accurate diagnosis. Do you have access to civilian medical care? There are some great medical centers who concentrate on these types of disorders. If you were my husband or child, I would find a good hospital, and get you in for a consult right away. Especially such a serious diagnosis, you should be entitled to a second and third oppinion. I would say getting a proper diagnosis is more important than the VASRD rating, as they evaluate you your diagnosis can change. Good luck!

dubber25,

Sorry to hear about your (potential) diagnosis. Hopefully, if there is a silver lining, it helps you to get proper treatment.

As regards your case, I would talk with your PEBLO. Normally, when a member has a new serious condition, the MTF Commander (or designee) must recall the case. Otherwise, the PEB (more likely the Formal PEB) will have to return the case to the MEB when they see that they don't have enough information to properly adjudicate the case. It is possible that you could show up at the Formal PEB with enough information for them to adjudicate it, but, this is probably the least preferred method and the PEB may still send it back to make sure everything is covered (both factually and administratively).

To many things Mimic GBS, The ONLY true way to get a Diagnosis is a Spinal Tap, I am a GBS survivor. Good luck