Gulf War Syndrome - Depression/Mental Illness in children

DAKSEA

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hi I was wondering if there are any Desert Storm veterans that would be willing to share about their children's mental health, I'm a 21 year old who's father served in desert storm (1-8 Cav) who is dealing with major clinical depression, with a background of severe headaches, and I was wondering if anyone who was deployed during the first part of the war, has children aged 15 - 21 who are dealing with depression or chronic headaches that don't respond well to medication. Thanks for your time I know that there are a lot of studies that have been done, but it seems like most of them are related to birth defects, rather than mental illness later in their lives.

No, you cannot file a claim from what your father went through down range, other than specific birth defects that are supported with corroborating evidence primarily from AO exposure. The VA only has an obligation to provide treatment and compensation to Veterans, not freeloaders.

No sorry you misunderstand I'm not looking for any compensation, I'm looking for a into to specific units and areas of the Gulf War and if there's a link between that first era of Desert Storm/Shield veteran's children; and the rising rates of depression and suicide in kids today. It seems like you're upset with me, I love my dad and respect what all veterans went through, but calling me a freeloader really hurts, we all have our own battles to fight; but no one's problems are the same - I'll never know what you or my father went through personally and I respect that. I am not in the military, I always wanted to but the treatments (ECT) I'm receiving for my depression prevent that however I'm still passionate about the military and intend to study the Gulf War, I just needed some current information.

I understand what you are asking and going through. My father was a Vietnam vet and I’ve often wondered what kinds of things I could have inhereted from him because of it. I’m also a veteran and have mental health issues but nothing so far has traced back to him. He had pretty bad PTSD and I’ve got depression/anxiety and depending on which psychiatrist you ask I’ve eithe rgot bipolar or borderline personality disorder with Schizoid traits.

This mental shit is not fun!!!

Hi I was wondering if there are any Desert Storm veterans that would be willing to share about their children's mental health, I'm a 21 year old who's father served in desert storm (1-8 Cav) who is dealing with major clinical depression, with a background of severe headaches, and I was wondering if anyone who was deployed during the first part of the war, has children aged 15 - 21 who are dealing with depression or chronic headaches that don't respond well to medication. Thanks for your time I know that there are a lot of studies that have been done, but it seems like most of them are related to birth defects, rather than mental illness later in their lives.

Mental health 101. Depression can be linked to the environment that you were raised under. There are also genetic dispositions.

Thank you for your replies, I've been doing some unguided research about the PB pill which my father told me to look into, and found some interesting things related to lifestyle and health choices. My dad was a medic withe 1st cav by the way and now he is a Physicians Assistant I just want to make sure he isn't suffering from anything unknown. I do think it has a lot of mental health today relates to the environment we were raised in and society is much different now than it was even 20 years ago (I would be 1). I know a lot of this research might have been done and I'm finding quite a few resources, but this would be occurring in veterans recently based on lifestyle changes. Any information to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your replies, I've been doing some unguided research about the PB pill which my father told me to look into, and found some interesting things related to lifestyle and health choices. My dad was a medic withe 1st cav by the way and now he is a Physicians Assistant I just want to make sure he isn't suffering from anything unknown. I do think it has a lot of mental health today relates to the environment we were raised in and society is much different now than it was even 20 years ago (I would be 1). I know a lot of this research might have been done and I'm finding quite a few resources, but this would be occurring in veterans recently based on lifestyle changes. Any information to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Yes being called anything without knowing your full situation is uncalled for, and even in rare circumstances is name calling ever appropriate. Being a dependent of a service member has it battles and burdens that you never got a vote it. Especially the kids. (To make it clear I am not a dependent, but I have seen the very real struggles of my own, and as a father it does break my heart)The best advice I can give you is to ask your Dad if he is willing to, is to share his medical records with you. Share his military evaluations with you. Then you can be your best detective, see what MOS he held, what equipment he worked on, where and when he was deployed. Then cross reference that with known toxic exposures of materials, operations, elements, vaccines, etc. Then cross reference that with known studies from the CDC, NIH, or WHO with your symptoms. Because you are right a lot of toxic exposures DO get passed on through the male reproductive organs and damage YOUR DNA. This has been well documented and recently brought to light because of the Flint, Michigan Pb exposure. And there is solid science behind it from reputable organizations. Just don't get suck in to the conspiracy sites, stick with the hard sciences. Because I take your post as someone just looking for answers, trying to figure it out, why you feel shitty. And a father would never knowingly pass anything like that on to his kids. Hope this helps.

I understand what you are asking and going through. My father was a Vietnam vet and I’ve often wondered what kinds of things I could have inhereted from him because of it. I’m also a veteran and have mental health issues but nothing so far has traced back to him. He had pretty bad PTSD and I’ve got depression/anxiety and depending on which psychiatrist you ask I’ve eithe rgot bipolar or borderline personality disorder with Schizoid traits.

This mental shit is not fun!!!
Stay strong brother
Yes being called anything without knowing your full situation is uncalled for, and even in rare circumstances is name calling ever appropriate. Being a dependent of a service member has it battles and burdens that you never got a vote it. Especially the kids. (To make it clear I am not a dependent, but I have seen the very real struggles of my own, and as a father it does break my heart)The best advice I can give you is to ask your Dad if he is willing to, is to share his medical records with you. Share his military evaluations with you. Then you can be your best detective, see what MOS he held, what equipment he worked on, where and when he was deployed. Then cross reference that with known toxic exposures of materials, operations, elements, vaccines, etc. Then cross reference that with known studies from the CDC, NIH, or WHO with your symptoms. Because you are right a lot of toxic exposures DO get passed on through the male reproductive organs and damage YOUR DNA. This has been well documented and recently brought to light because of the Flint, Michigan Pb exposure. And there is solid science behind it from reputable organizations. Just don't get suck in to the conspiracy sites, stick with the hard sciences. Because I take your post as someone just looking for answers, trying to figure it out, why you feel shitty. And a father would never knowingly pass anything like that on to his kids. Hope this helps.
Thank you that helps a lot i think that would be the correct path to take, and I actually just found out that one of my friend's dad was also in 1st cav who might have been deployed at the same time as my dad and he and I have similar personalities which got me thinking, I'll see if he can talk to his dad but I don't think they're very close. I've also been worried about my dad as lately hes been going through some health issues and I love him and don't want him suffering from something unknowingly. I have been staying away from those conspiracy sites I know that there's a lot of them but I've just begun looking into this. Lately my depression has been really bad (suicidal thoughts/self harm - my parents took all of my sharps and know) but I really just don't want other people to go through this. I am my own worst enemy. Anyway thanks for your reply I think that helps a lot.

Most providers believe that MH issues are epigenetic. Meaning a cross of genetics and environment. Due to genetics, some people are more resistant and others less resistant to MH disorders, but given a strong stressor even the most resilient individuals may become ill. Hope you find the answers you need to thrive. Best wishes. Mike

No, you cannot file a claim from what your father went through down range, other than specific birth defects that are supported with corroborating evidence primarily from AO exposure. The VA only has an obligation to provide treatment and compensation to Veterans, not freeloaders.
He was not asking about getting money.

Most providers believe that MH issues are epigenetic. Meaning a cross of genetics and environment. Due to genetics, some people are more resistant and others less resistant to MH disorders, but given a strong stressor even the most resilient individuals may become ill. Hope you find the answers you need to thrive. Best wishes. Mike
Thank you that's something new to me, I've been doing a lot of research and I'm wondering if combat stress releases a more aggressive type of stressor on the brain - damaging certain receptors that could be passed on through genetics. It seems like kids today are more depressed after they hit puberty too so I'm wondering if that's related. Thank you for the info though I really do appreciate it.

There is strong evidence that the brain is plastic-meaning it can grow or shrink in size. There is also evidence that people with PTSD show a decreased size of the mid-brain, specifically the amygdala which helps regulate emotion. You might be interest in in search "secondary trauma" and "tertiary trauma," there is broad evidence that families are affected by the PTSD of another family member.

Best wishes always.
Mike

There is strong evidence that the brain is plastic-meaning it can grow or shrink in size. There is also evidence that people with PTSD show a decreased size of the mid-brain, specifically the amygdala which helps regulate emotion. You might be interest in in search "secondary trauma" and "tertiary trauma," there is broad evidence that families are affected by the PTSD of another family member.

Best wishes always.
Mike
That's very helpful thank you, my main goal with this research is to see if children and teens today are already predisposed to mental health issues, and if the following generation is at risk as well. Thanks again,
Daken

Try contacting the Center for Innovation and Research on Veterans and Military Families (CIR) at the University of Southern California.

http://cir.usc.edu/

It does not appear that they have a current research project listed (linking mental health illness directly from the parents to children), however what you are asking would make a great proposal. They are currently doing research on the effects of combat and operations tempo on soldier, family and unit readiness.

The Director of the program, Carl Castro, is Retired US Army Colonel
[email protected]

Insider tip, if you would like to get his attention, ask him for an informational interview (10 minutes of his time), prepare your 8-10 talking points and ask if he would allow you to send them to him in advance.

Try contacting the Center for Innovation and Research on Veterans and Military Families (CIR) at the University of Southern California.

http://cir.usc.edu/

It does not appear that they have a current research project listed (linking mental health illness directly from the parents to children), however what you are asking would make a great proposal. They are currently doing research on the effects of combat and operations tempo on soldier, family and unit readiness.

The Director of the program, Carl Castro, is Retired US Army Colonel
[email protected]

Insider tip, if you would like to get his attention, ask him for an informational interview (10 minutes of his time), prepare your 8-10 talking points and ask if he would allow you to send them to him in advance.
I will do that with the advice you've given, that's a great idea I appreciate all the help here. I really just don't want other people to feel the way I do, it's an unfulfilling life that only leads to more disappointment that you already carry in your mind, and if there's a causation or correlation that could help with treatment or diagnosis I'd like to discover it.

Yes. I too was curious if other desert storm vets had seen any mental health issues in their children, when I discovered your thread. My daughter has had a variety of issues including ADD, anxiety, depression and anger management problems the entirety of her life. If one did not know better, they would swear she was the veteran with PTSD, and not me. These politicians always find it so easy to wage wars, I guess it's less hard if you and/or your children aren't required to fight in them. Moreover, just as quickly they deny any responsibility for the health issues that arise from said war.

Yes. I too was curious if other desert storm vets had seen any mental health issues in their children, when I discovered your thread. My daughter has had a variety of issues including ADD, anxiety, depression and anger management problems the entirety of her life. If one did not know better, they would swear she was the veteran with PTSD, and not me. These politicians always find it so easy to wage wars, I guess it's less hard if you and/or your children aren't required to fight in them. Moreover, just as quickly they deny any responsibility for the health issues that arise from said war.
Do you mind me asking how old your daughter is? It seems like these symptoms arise when entering young-adulthood, past puberty more like the end of high school.

For what it's worth, even though this thread is quite old, I am a gulf war Army vet, I was in the northern Saudi desert from December 1990-June 1991 with a few brief trips that took me within a quarter mile of the oil fires that were still burning at the time. I was 20 yrs old at that time. My son who is 20 years old now has bipolar disorder. His first signs of mental health problems were apparent from kindergarten onward, and began medication for mood stabilization at around age 12. His illness became really bad around age 17, which is not unusual for the disorder he has. I have never suffered any symptoms of PTSD or Gulf War syndrome myself, for which I am thankful. Hope this is helpful and I would be interested in any results of your research.

Keep me in your log. I am a Afghanistan veteran. First, my father has AO and seems like I inherited some things from him, for now, nobody with the whole AO thing will never know, except for Spina Bifida (children of Vietnam veterans AO). I always pointed that I did inherit some of his AO symptoms as without medical evidence to prove this, I just know and sense it.

However, I had exposures to chemical weapons and such, like those Iraq war veterans. I actually had a lot of exposures with severe residuals. Now, in my case, I have children and I feel they inherited ADHD patterns from me from my radiological exposures. Its sad, very sad and I know this is a result of my injuries and like the AO, I don't know if I'll ever know though I'll die before giving up trying to figure this out though.

Maybe my kids have a combination from AO and environmental exposures now.