Heart attack?

jen27z

Registered Member
Ok Where to start. My Hubby had a Heart Attack after a pt test in Feb 2016. He was taken to the hospital and a stint was put in his left ventricle artery. Its a medicated stint. Fast forward 6 months the Cardiologist is telling us his heart is strong and they see minimal damage to the heart and are very pleased with that but the catch is he is on a dual platelet therapy (two blood thinners) which makes him non deploy-able. According to the Dr we have year window due to the heart attack. So Feb 2017 is coming up quickly and we need to decide what to do. He will also hit 20 Active in Feb 2017. We are overseas so getting a second opinion is hard. So the Dr says we have two choices stop one of the blood thinners at a year and be deploy-able again or stay on them and take our chances with a MEB. In the civilian world they would leave him on both med because bleeding out is not as big of risk as in a combat situation. He really can't drop a packet for retirement due to taking a promotion= 3 year commitment. So I have tried to read everything I can about the Meb and not sure how they determine Fit/unfit in my mind if he is non deploy-able and they board him that would make him unfit but I know that's not how it works. Any input would be greatly appreciated.He has otherissues but no one has ever mentioned a meb so I'm going to assume they will not cause the unfit decision.

chaplaincharlie

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I was in a similar situation back in May 2008. I was found fit, placed on a permanent profile and still deployed. There were some addition wickets to deploying, but I was able to go back to Iraq. I am not medically retired, but I got 7 more years of AD.

USAF

gsfowler

Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Ok Where to start. My Hubby had a Heart Attack after a pt test in Feb 2016. He was taken to the hospital and a stint was put in his left ventricle artery. Its a medicated stint. Fast forward 6 months the Cardiologist is telling us his heart is strong and they see minimal damage to the heart and are very pleased with that but the catch is he is on a dual platelet therapy (two blood thinners) which makes him non deploy-able. According to the Dr we have year window due to the heart attack. So Feb 2017 is coming up quickly and we need to decide what to do. He will also hit 20 Active in Feb 2017. We are overseas so getting a second opinion is hard. So the Dr says we have two choices stop one of the blood thinners at a year and be deploy-able again or stay on them and take our chances with a MEB. In the civilian world they would leave him on both med because bleeding out is not as big of risk as in a combat situation. He really can't drop a packet for retirement due to taking a promotion= 3 year commitment. So I have tried to read everything I can about the Meb and not sure how they determine Fit/unfit in my mind if he is non deploy-able and they board him that would make him unfit but I know that's not how it works. Any input would be greatly appreciated.He has otherissues but no one has ever mentioned a meb so I'm going to assume they will not cause the unfit decision.
It is a good thing that he has not dropped a retirement packet or have a date established. This will overcome the "presumption of fitness rules"

Because you stated PT, I am going to assume he is Army (correct me if I am wrong). The regulation that covers retention is AR 40-501 Chapter 3 (http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/army/r40_501.pdf).

Conditions of the heart are in Paragraph 3-21, your husband will may be found unfit if he gets referred under subparagraph m. Any cardiovascular disorder requiring chronic drug therapy in order to prevent the occurrence of potentially fatal or severely symptomatic events that would interfere with duty performance.

It is important to understand that his treating physician does not determine whether or not he is fit, although they do have a play in the determination based upon his permanent profile and whether or not they want to refer him to the MEB.

If he is found unfit for his heart condition, the rules for rating may be found here (http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/theheart.html).

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">