Hello...again, but CRSC question and Operation Tomodatchi

legalbeagle

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello everyone…again.

BLUF: A long rambling update, but a question at the end concerning CRSC.

This is “keehn” (my original posts) , but I forgot how to sign into my old account, so I am now “legalbeagle”. Sufficed to say, I was accepted into the Legalman rating and, for the past 10 years, have been serving around the world performing paralegal services to the Navy community. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on point of view), I have been in LIMDU since April 2018 and recently moved to MEDBOARD status just a few weeks ago.

While I was cleared and found fit on my original 2008 PEB, I am not desiring the same this go-around. Ironically, I was going to get out at EAOS (10 April), but I started getting severe and incapacitating back spasms, sending me to the E.R. in August 2017. I have been at the E.R. four times since then. In my 11 years in the Navy thus far, I have learned to not trust Navy doctors (maybe I’m the lucky one who got the bad batch??), so I would not report issues to them. However, last July, I changed my MTF and PCM to an Army facility, and the Army civilian doctor is light-years better than any doc I’ve had in the Navy. I eventually felt comfortable enough to open up to her that I also had pins/needles and numbness in both hands for a few years now, to which she ordered an X-Ray, and then MRI. Come to find out that not only did I have a herniated disc at C6-7, but the bulge was pressing INWARD on my spinal cord! Not to mention the nerves radiating out through my bones were also being compressed. I got referred to Walter Reed neurosurgery, who in turn asked “so, when is he coming in for surgery?”

Other issues found through the MRI (was a full set) was a syrinx (syringomyelia) in my thoracic spine, and multiple disc herniation/dessication/arthritis of my lumbar spine, down by the pelvis. I had sciatica down my left leg, and perpetual numbness of my right upper-thigh (to include pins and needles in both L-R toes). I was also referred to Rheumatology (yup, them again) for unexplained aches and pains throughout my body. Bloodwork was done to eliminate any obvious diagnoses, and the Rheumatologist this time around diagnosed Fibromyalgia.

I’ve also been seeing behavioral health since January, who escalated my case to a Psychologist (?) and was prescribed Effexor XR for anxiety/depression and ptsd. Let’s see…what else…I have dry-eye syndrome, OSA with CPAP, pes planus (I came in with normal arches), tinnitus, vertigo, exposure to radiation in the physical environment (more on that later), chronic maxillary sinusitis, migraines with aura, high blood pressure and hip/knee/shoulder pain with clicking to name a few of my diagnoses. Oh, and my doctor signed off on a handicap placard so I don’t need to limp with my cane as far…

As for the radiation exposure. I was stationed onboard USS RONALD REAGAN during the 2011 Japan Tsunami that caused the Fukushima disaster. We refer to the humanitarian operation as “Operation Tomodatchi”. During that mission, REAGAN and our strike group were on station for several weeks to aid in disaster relief efforts for the Japanese nationals. However, shortly after arriving on station, the CO reported that the potable water generated by our desalination plants were testing with elevated levels of radiation, and that we were not to use the water, even for showering, until the ship could get to a safe spot and resume water generation (I, and many of the crew had been drinking that water all afternoon PRIOR to the 1MC…). Additionally, all-hands were ordered to carry a gas mask and live breathing canister at all times. We were also told we would be getting iodine pills, but never did get them. We even set “Circle-William” one night, which made for a very rough smelly and uncomfortable experience trying to sleep. “Circle-William” is a CBR condition where the ship recirculates air inside and does not pull any external air into the ship. We even had Sailors putting clothes into the cracks of the closed aircraft elevator doors, as if to further reduce outside air from getting in.

I won’t get into the particulars of what other Sailors have experienced post-Tomodatchi (Google can do that for me), but only a couple months after the mission, I started to get my migraine headaches. I’ve never had a migraine before in my life, and I was stationed on REAGAN since August 2009, so I can’t blame SURGE 09, RIMPAC 10, and various carrier quals, etc., prior to 2011 as a cause of my migraines. A year or so after WESTPAC 11 (Tomodatchi), I was diagnosed with OSA sleep apnea and began experiencing asthma with exercise. Then everything else started to go downhill as well…but I didn’t tell any of the doctors, I just wanted to leave at my EAOS and be done with everything!

Again, VERY thankful that I happened upon my current PCM. If she didn’t order X-Rays or simply went with my usual claim that I had no pain that day, I would be a civilian right now and no diagnoses with my very real medical issues.

So, all of that brings me to my question: I have been looking at the CRSC entitlement and see that it requires evidence that one or more of my VA-compensable injuries must have been incurred by combat, hazardous duty, or instrumentality of war. I am curious if my migraines, since they manifested shortly after Tomodatchi (or at least, occurred while in the 5thfleet AOR), could be considered for CRSC under “hazardous duty”? Or is there anything else in my long ramble that could potentially be considered as well for CRSC?

Whew! B.Z. to those who made it down here.

Hello again.

Apologies for the firehose of info in my OP, but does anybody know (or even venture a guess) about my CRSC question?

Thanks.

Since CRSC is approved by the branch of service, all you can do is apply for it, and await for the determination. What you are describing is not quite as crystal clear as traditional hazardous duty.

Your goal should be to establish a nexus between the condition(s) that you are currently experiencing and the CRSC definition of hazardous duty.

The Navy/USMC describe hazardous duty for CRSC as this: Such services includes aerial flight, parachute duty, demolition duty, experimental stress duty, and diving duty. The injury or disease must be the direct result of actions taken in the performance of such service.

Thanks for the reply gsfowler. I'm afraid that Tomodatchi won't be acknowledged as an abnormal evolution for a couple decades at least. The only thing I know is that I never experienced migraines, nor the other issues that followed prior to our humanitarian mission in Japan. While I know that correlation doesn't necessary equate to coboration, it is also equally difficult to separate the "hazardous duty" aspect, as it is defined for CRSC, for those of us who were walking the deckplates right outside of Fukushima.

I guess I (and my shipmates) get to sit back and see how history chooses to view Operation Tomodatchi...