Help a nub to this process

Fische

Registered Member
I’m looking into filing a PDBR review but I don’t want to waste my time if there is no hope. My case is complicated. I was a nuclear machinist mate on submarines and had a specialty in chemistry and radiological controls. I was medically discharged after having a cancerous tumor removed from my leg and following complications after surgery. I was disqualified from submarine and nuclear Duty based on the cancer. My PEB rating was 10% in 2002 based on “knee pain”. My first VA claim was very disorganized and I didn’t realize you needed to submit claims for every condition so I claimed knew pain and got 20% from my initial VA claim (10% for each knee).
I recently got help from the DAV and my service connection for disability is 90% combined and 150% for each separately.
My questions:
Because my initial VA rating was 20%, is it possible to get a 30% or higher in the PDBR?

I was also diagnosed with severe nerve damage due to the surgery after my PEB rating but before my discharge.

Also, should the fact that I was disqualified from both submarine and nuclear duty been considered in my medical discharge? I feel it should have because BUMED would not allow me to return to my rate in which I was qualified due to a medical condition. I was not provided an opportunity to cross rate?

Who can help my case? I got an application for the NVLSP but the application states that they will not take my case because my initial VA rating was not 30% or above.

chaplaincharlie

Staff Member
PEB Forum Lifetime Supporter
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
You can file yourself. If your medical records, at the time of discharge, indicate severe nerve damage you have a decent chance. Thing that got worse, after discharge, will not be helpful.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">