Help Me understand please

Skydiver33

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
18.6 yrs AD MedBoard
My question is: Shouldn't my CRSC pay be 2275.00?

CRSC Amount
CRSC Debt Deduction
CRSC Garnishment Deduction
CRSC Net Pay
Retired Pay Before Deductions
Retired Pay Offset by DVA Compensation
CRSC Debt Balance
Branch of Military Service
ARMY
Garnishment Being Withheld
NO
THE DVA OR YOUR BRANCH OF SERVICE PROVIDED THE FOLLOWING
CRSC Special Monthly Compensation Code
Unemployable
YES
DVA Disability %
Combat Related Disability %
Purple Heart %
CRSC Start Date
SEP 01, 2012
Special Monthly Compensation Start Date

Your Combat related disability is 80% the VA rate is less than the longectivity portion of your retired pay. VA rate for 80% with Spouse and one child is 1,867.69

I just saw the post where you mentioned IU. Where you awarded IU prior to the CRSC award or after?

If after you may need to send in an update to HRC.

Skydiver33,

Please limit your posts to one thread. I began answering your questions at the other thread. RaiderX mentioned an important factor...the IU being awarded after the CRSC award.

I am going to delete your posts in the other thread.

Ron

Skydiver,

Your CRSC statement does show the IU.

Unemployable YES
DVA Disability % 100
Combat Related Disability % 80

There is another factor missing.

Among other limitations, your CRSC cannot exceed the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay.

That amount would be determined by Active duty years and months multiplied by 0.025 = longevity multiplier
High three average base pay x longevity multiplier = longevity portion of retired pay.

-------------

DoD 7000.14-R Financial Management Regulation Volume 7B, Chapter 63 * October 2017

6308 CRSC AMOUNT

C. Retired Members Considered Unemployable. DFAS must coordinate with VA to ascertain whether a member is compensated by VA under 38 U.S.C. § 1114(j) by virtue of a rating of Individual Unemployability on the basis of being unemployable under the provisions of 38 CFR 4.16 or 4.18, for any member whose current combined combat-related disability percentage is 60 percent or greater. Such member will be given a combined gross CRSC disability, which is rated as total or 100 percent.

*****630805. CRSC Payment Reduction for 10 U.S.C., Chapter 61 Disability Retirees

2. Members retired for disability under 10 U.S.C., Chapter 61, with less than 20 years of creditable service computed under 10 U.S.C. § 1208, and who are qualified for CRSC, on or after January 1, 2013, will have the maximum CRSC payment restrictions. The CRSC payment amount, which when combined with any remaining retired pay after VA offset, will not exceed the amount that is equal to 2½ percent of the member’s years of creditable service multiplied by the member’s retired pay base under 10 U.S.C. § 1406(b)(1) or 10 U.S.C. § 1407, whichever is applicable to the member.

Ron

I understand how to calculate the Crsc, I know what I think the dollar amount should be. The question is respectfully should I be getting the 100% rate instead of the 80% rate. Yes IU was awarded after crsc, however at the same time an increase in the PTSD award from 60-70%. I just want verification if I should receive the 100% for the CRSC. My numbers for 100% VA would be over the $2275.00.
As $2275.00 Would be my max. CRSC with Dependents is well over the $2275.00. So my question is should I receive 100% or 80%.

Yep the answere is yes then, hot damm I'm dancing a jig. Thankyou, I'll go hibernate until the next problem.

Retired pay gross 4540.00
18.6 years
The following is probably unnecessary since you know how to calculate CRSC (my remarks include some conjecture).

1. Currently you waive 2,275.00; that is one of the CRSC ceilings.
2. You are receiving 1,867.69 presently. The difference is 407.31
3. Another ceiling is the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay.
4. You mentioned you have 18.6 years; I infer you mean 18 years and six months which is 18.5 years (active duty I presume).
5. 18.5 years x 0.025 = 46.25% longevity multiplier
6. High three is unknown so the longevity portion of retired pay cannot be computed. The DoD disability retirement percentage is also needed.
7. The gross retired pay shown on your DFAS RAS would be helpful; it is found on page one of the DFAS RAS in the upper left of page one. The Retired pay gross 4540.00 you cited seems high based on the amount of the gross retired pay shown on your CRSC statement. The gross on the RAS is the result of high three x DoD disability percentage or longevity multiplier.

In answer to your question:
Based on limited information you provided, you should receive as CRSC
a. The dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay
OR
b. The 100% IU rate not to exceed 2,275.
whichever is the lesser.

Ron

Yep the answere is yes then, hot damm I'm dancing a jig. Thankyou, I'll go hibernate until the next problem.
In answer to your question:
Based on limited information you provided, you should receive as CRSC
a. The dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay
OR
b. The 100% IU rate not to exceed 2,275.
whichever is the lesser.

Edited to add:
You mentioned your retired pay gross is 4540. That is different from the gross retired pay shown on the CRSC statement which is 2275.
Perhaps 4540 is your high three? As mentioned earlier, your DoD disability retirement percentage would be helpful.

Ron

Skydiver33,

In September 2012, you posted, "I am a SFC in the Army with 18.1 years and 22 years on my LES, I have been sent for an MEB."

The current military pay for an E7 over 18 years = 4,745.40 (used as an example)

That fact is an indication that 4530 is a misinterpretation of your gross retired pay (after COLA increases since 2012). The amount of 4530 is more likely your high three.
Your gross retired pay is 2275 per your CRSC statement.
Gross retired pay is the amount due the retiree after the computations shown below, but before offset and deductions. There are exceptions in esoteric cases such as REDUX.

That amount, 2275, is the result of either:
a. Longevity portion of retired pay which is active duty years x 0.025 = longevity multiplier; and high three x longevity multiplier
or
b. High three x disability retirement percentage = disability retired pay

Note: The high three average of 2012 would have been increased via COLA adjustments in subsequent years. Additionally, CRSC does not replace waived retirement pay in excess of the longevity portion of the retirement pay.

Ron

Not a bad suggestion, but the services do not evaluate IU for CRSC.

Can retired Soldiers be awarded Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) for Individual Unemployability (IU)?

Individual Unemployability (IU) is not a disability or a diagnosis therefore the service branches do not include it in the total combat-related disability percentage or address IU on decision letters. Eligibility for IU is determined by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) will include compensation for IU as they receive notification from the VA of a retired Soldier meeting this status.
Please note, IU is only added to a retired Soldier's Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) benefits by DFAS when his or her CRSC total disability percentage is 60% or higher. Please contact DFAS for their procedure concerning this and any payment or dollar amounts.

Evidently, the DFAS has been notified since a remark about IU is included on the CRSC statement.

Recommend a request to DFAS for an audit of the CRSC. Please note that among other restrictions, the CRSC cannot exceed the dollar amount of the longevity portion of the retirement pay.

Ron

Again the question Is
Once you are found to be IU and you ALREADY receive CRSC. WILL the CRSC amount that is given be raised to the 100%. For Example. If a soldier was retired from the Army at 60% for PTSD, the soldier gets CRSC at the 60% rate. Later the soldier receives IU for. ......wait for it.......PTSD. Should the soldier receive the CRSC pay at the 100% rate rather than 60% rate? If so and they are not receiving the 100% rate what should they do? I dont need calculations done and I might have posted this in the wrong place. But as you can imagine My PTSD is kicking my ass and this is frustrating the hell out of me. I dont care what I posted in 2012. I'm just asking one some question. If I didnt do it right I'm sorry. Just please answere the question? My math skills are outstanding, PTSD make me want to choke you to death, doesnt effect math skills at all.

VR
CHARLIE

Also what I'm trying to ask,
Ok I started at at 60% CRSC for PTSD.
I was raised to 70% PTSD
At the same time frame the PTSD was raised to 70% I was awarded IU for PTSD.
From what I have read, (which at this point is everything ever written, as I cant sleep and am going out of my mind) says that once a SM is awarded 100 IU that the CRSC should follow. The retirement pay off set goes away. For example:
Said person, made 2275 at 50% retirement, it is stolen by the VA, as he was a little short of 20 yrs 18.6 yrs. His VA is 80% overall. Now he goes back applies for IU, is awarded. His CRSC only goes to 80% not the 100%, retirement stolen still.
Should they be getting 100% rate for CRSC (Not to exceed the longevity retirement pay) and VA comp, as well as as the retirement pay? From what I've read this is what the benifit should be am I correct.

Again should this person receive all three, or just CRSC and still lose the retired pay portion to VA comp. My understanding is the soldier would receive all three due to the IU rating being raised to 100%, shouldn't that move the PTSD rating for CRSC to the 100% Rate, thus increasing the pay?

HRC has to approve the CRSC. Award amount up grades are not automatic.

Skydiver33,

Re: "Just please answere the question? My math skills are outstanding, PTSD make me want to choke you to death, doesnt effect math skills at all."

Notwithstanding your remark, here are some comments and recommendations.

1.Your CRSC appears to be paid at the incorrect rate, 80% vs 100%, not to exceed the longevity amount.

2. No, you will not receive three payments. You should receive only CRSC and VA compensation since it appears all your retired pay was offset by the amount of VA compensation.

Recommend you contact DFAS retired pay and in writing, request an audit of your CRSC.
Defense Finance and Accounting Service
U.S. Military Retired Pay
8899 E 56th Street
Indianapolis IN 46249-1200

Fax
Please include your full name, daytime phone number, social security number and signature on all written correspondence.
Retired Pay: 800-469-6559

HRC has to approve the CRSC. Award amount up grades are not automatic.
Thank you for the response, I gather from your responce I need to apply for reconsideration. Even though DFAS can see the mistake, knows of the mistake, has done two Audits for different issues?
I was under the impression they would find and fix all problems with an audit.

The HRC does not provide a CRSC rating for IU as I explained earlier. If this was a non-individual unemployability case, then a reconsideration through the HRC would be the proper path.

"Individual Unemployability (IU) is not a disability or a diagnosis therefore the service branches do not include it in the total combat-related disability percentage or address IU on decision letters."

The audit I recommended was to alert DFAS of a possible error in your CRSC, even if you previously had multiple audits.

Every increase in CRSC I received resulted in another audit.

Ron