Florida850

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Short and sweet:
Code 37 since 7 Dec 16, no further updates at all. What should I do/expect?

Detailed version:
My PCM stated I would be undergoing an MEB and likely be found unfit for duty. I am okay with that and understand "most" of the process. Yet, it appears I'm stuck in limbo or something is wrong? My profile currently states Code 37 and there is paragraph stating something along the lines of "member is currently undergoing an MEB" ...etc

My profile has stated Code 37 since December 7th. And I have not heard back from my PCM or anyone. If I even have a PEBLO, I haven't heard from them yet.

Is this something I should be worried about? Should I call and leave a message for my PCM?

Medical/Job Info:

DDD w/ disk herniation at L5/S1w/ radioculpathy:
prescribed Percocet, flexeril and gabapentin on and off for over 14 months. Done several months of PT with no success.

I have had two failed back surgeries. 30 days after my first back surgery my same disk was already re-herniated. Now, three months after my second back surgery and I'm worth than I was before my first surgery...

I am active duty Security Forces, and have not been able to deploy or carry a weapon for over 12 months on and off. I am limited to desk work due to my physical limitation and medication rendering me unable to carry a firearm.

ROM-just taking a guess that I can't bend forward more than 45 degrees, maybe less.

I also cannot move my toes in my left foot, at all. I cannot lift my left leg straight up in from of me off the ground very much when keeping the knee straight unbent. My sciatica is terribly painful.

Generalized Andiety Disorder:
Went to Mental Health on my own accord and have been seeing them since early December 2016
Was prescribed Zolofot for GAD. They currently gave me 50 pills at 1 pill per day with 3 refills already on file from what I saw when I checked tricare online.. so it appears they plan to keep me on this for quite sometime. My GAD definitely interferes with my job as I am expected to carry a firearm and deal with very stressful situations on a regular basis.

Surgeries:
Oct 2015-Lumbar Microdisectomy
Oct 2016-Lumbar Microdisectomy (again, same disk)

Any and all input into what I can expect to happen is greatly appreciated.

I have been reading the AFIs and read over the Medical Standards Directory and also a lot of info from this forum.

After the code 37 is placed on your profile an IRILO (initial review in lue of) is conducted. During this phase your NARSUM (Narrative Summary) is written by your doctor which explains your condition. At the same time your commander writes a letter describing the impact your condition has on the mission. Those two items are sent up to I believe AFPC and they decide whether or not to conduction and actual MEB or just return you to duty and evaluate you again in a year. If they do decide to do the MEB then that is when you enter the IDES system and the ball starting moving on things like C&P exams for your VA claim. Check out my timeline below to see kind of what I am talking about here.

After the code 37 is placed on your profile an IRILO (initial review in lue of) is conducted. During this phase your NARSUM (Narrative Summary) is written by your doctor which explains your condition. At the same time your commander writes a letter describing the impact your condition has on the mission. Those two items are sent up to I believe AFPC and they decide whether or not to conduction and actual MEB or just return you to duty and evaluate you again in a year. If they do decide to do the MEB then that is when you enter the IDES system and the ball starting moving on things like C&P exams for your VA claim. Check out my timeline below to see kind of what I am talking about here.

Thank you for the reply. This does answer most my questions. My main concern was if this was normal timing for me to not have received any updates thus far.

The process is not fast. And the holidays definitely slow things down, too.

The process is not fast. And the holidays definitely slow things down, too.

Understood, thank you for the reply. I was concerned that something was wrong or that maybe I was supposed to do something. This reassured me that I just need to be patient and wait to be contacted.

Nothing happens fast in this process. I went months between being told I would be MEB'd and anything happening.

"My profile has stated Code 37 since December 7th. And I have not heard back from my PCM or anyone. If I even have a PEBLO, I haven't heard from them yet.

Is this something I should be worried about? Should I call and leave a message for my PCM?"

I was in a similar situation where I wasn't getting any movement whatsoever. I went ahead and scheduled an appointment with my PCM to discuss this matter and she reassured me that she was working the NARSUM but was waiting on some new information from my off base doctor. It may benefit you to also reach out to your PCM and see where they are at in the process. Some PCMs actually schedule an appointment with their patient if they aren't too familiar with your condition. This provides a means for them to get spun up. My PCM didn't feel it was necessary because she received turnover from my prior PCM.

You could also call the MEB office at your clinic and talk to any of the PEBLOs. They will be able to look you up in your system to see if you have been assigned a PEBLO yet. In the beginning of the process I bugged the crap out of my PEBLO because my enlistment was coming to an end and I didn't want to fall through the cracks. They put me on MED hold literally just hours before my enlistment was coming to an end.

"My profile has stated Code 37 since December 7th. And I have not heard back from my PCM or anyone. If I even have a PEBLO, I haven't heard from them yet.

Is this something I should be worried about? Should I call and leave a message for my PCM?"

I was in a similar situation where I wasn't getting any movement whatsoever. I went ahead and scheduled an appointment with my PCM to discuss this matter and she reassured me that she was working the NARSUM but was waiting on some new information from my off base doctor. It may benefit you to also reach out to your PCM and see where they are at in the process. Some PCMs actually schedule an appointment with their patient if they aren't too familiar with your condition. This provides a means for them to get spun up. My PCM didn't feel it was necessary because she received turnover from my prior PCM.

You could also call the MEB office at your clinic and talk to any of the PEBLOs. They will be able to look you up in your system to see if you have been assigned a PEBLO yet. In the beginning of the process I bugged the crap out of my PEBLO because my enlistment was coming to an end and I didn't want to fall through the cracks. They put me on MED hold literally just hours before my enlistment was coming to an end.
I am going to give that a shot and call the MEB Office in my MTF now. I didn't know that was an option! Thank you again.

Update:
Saw my PCM on 9 Jan 17 and he stated we will schedule a follow up in two weeks and that is when he will get info from me he needs to build the NARSUM. I also called the MEB section of my hospital, they stated I'm fresh in their system and they're just waiting on getting the NARSUM and CC letter and then after that gets sent off to AFPC we will be told either proceed with full PEB or possibly ALC. just posted to keep track of my "progress" and see if anyone has any input. I appreciate everyone who has commented thus far.

Thanks for the update on this! Good to hear you got some answers.

Thanks for the update on this! Good to hear you got some answers.
I really appreciate everyone's input. I'll try to keep this thread updated. Please advise if I should be on a different thread or if this is the right place. Also, forgot to mention, I am at Eglin AFB.

I really appreciate everyone's input. I'll try to keep this thread updated. Please advise if I should be on a different thread or if this is the right place. Also, forgot to mention, I am at Eglin AFB.

You are in the right thread for posting timeline updates

Update:
Was sent to inpatient psychiatric treatment for over a week and a half, twice. This was due to suicidal ideations. I am on new medication and stabilized. No thoughts of wanting to harm myself or others. Feeling positive.

My PCM stated that because of that, my Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD), now meets the criteria as an unfitting condition... he said without a doubt the combination of that plus my lower back and left leg issues (stated above) that I will be permanently medically retired.

Now it's just a waiting game to get VA appointments and get ratings. Based on rudimentary ROMs that my PCM and I did in his office my back should give me 40% alone. My GAD fits criterial for 50% as well...

Just posting this to keep everyone updated. It's also going to be nice for me to be able and come look at this thread as I continue on through the process.

As always, I'd appreciate any input/advice from anyone.

Thanks !

NARSUM and CC letter still not completed... I've inquired with the MEB office, PCM, and even the MDOS/CC... this is moving slow!

I ran into this same problem....was coded 37 on Jan 10. I called my PEBLO on Mar 13 to find out any info and she said she was still waiting for my PCM to write the NARSUM. I told her I was separating in less than 50 days and I needed this to go through so that I wasn't lost in the process. When I initially met her I stated several times I had a separation date. She asked if my PCM knew about this and I had to explain to her that the whole reason we started the process was because my separation was coming up. Anyways, they did a Modified RILO and sent it off to AFPC last Weds and said I should hear something back this week.....fingers crossed

I ran into this same problem....was coded 37 on Jan 10. I called my PEBLO on Mar 13 to find out any info and she said she was still waiting for my PCM to write the NARSUM. I told her I was separating in less than 50 days and I needed this to go through so that I wasn't lost in the process. When I initially met her I stated several times I had a separation date. She asked if my PCM knew about this and I had to explain to her that the whole reason we started the process was because my separation was coming up. Anyways, they did a Modified RILO and sent it off to AFPC last Weds and said I should hear something back this week.....fingers crossed

Good luck with everything, this process is a pain... that is for sure.

NARSUM questions:

16y SVM, I started as an E-1 and moved up in ranks, I was a Navy HM (FMF) and deployed in OIF 2004-2006, now I'm a Supply Officer going for O-4 next month, I was put on MEB/PEB in Dec 2015 for 3 conditions:
1) cavernous Malformation in the brain, the VA C&P Neuro doc noted that I had hemorrhagic strokes sporadic since 2004 when my first symptoms appear, now in 2016 they are A LOT worse
2) herniated back
3) Chromic PTSD

I just received my NARSUM and I have some questions and the PEBLO is not helpful, I feel that I am just a number that she needs to clear off her desk. Does the NARSUM should encompassed all the stuff that I got diagnosed like tremor in the hands and right leg, severe headaches, memory loss due to multiple TBI's etc.
The VA did a wonderful job doing all the reports, my C&P report is 205 pages and it contains supporting documentations from the military and civilian providers. when I read the NARSUM it was very brief and not really explaining the issue, my question is how NARSUM should look like? More than one page ? The PEBLO told me that the providers have a template that they need to follow and that the reports are very short and that the MEB board will look at everything, is hard for me to believe that since the provider that wrote NARSUM took 5 days just to read the VA exams. The board will read the hole 16 years of medical records. Also is there any POC in Washington Navy Yard where the board is been held where I can call and get status updates?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and guide me to this unknown process.

Good luck with everything, this process is a pain... that is for sure.

Thanks! AFPC just replied back and gave me two options

1) Separate on my normal DOS of 8 May

2) Elect Med Board and be extended for the duration of the process

Obviously I choose option 2

Thanks! AFPC just replied back and gave me two options

1) Separate on my normal DOS of 8 May

2) Elect Med Board and be extended for the duration of the process

Obviously I choose option 2

Smart man! Lol, I just got my NARSUM from my PCM, now waiting on mental health to finish theirs and CC letter. Slowly moving along!

Extremely slow! I'm waiting on AFPC to recode my "reenlistment eligibility" to 4K in VMPF so that I can extend...should be any day now. Problem is I'm about 31 days out from my EOS so I kind of need them to get on it lol