help please!!! Hypothyroidism and Obesity (maybe jason can answer this)

haz

PEB Forum Regular Member
Hypothyroidism and Obesity (maybe jason can answer this)

I am going through a PEB Board for Compartment Syndrome in my lower legs. I have also been diagnosed as having hypothyriodism and currently take synthroid for it. even though I am in pain all the time in my legs I go to the gym 4 times a wee,k I eat5-6 healthy meals do not drink or smoke but I cannot lose weight. in 2007 i got a mystery illness that the doctors never figured out what it was but I believe caused this thyroid and weight gain problem. in 2007 i was 209 lbs and never failed a pfa. but after getting sick my weight ballooned to 255 and I just failed my first bca in 14 years of service. my question is can I claim obesity based on my hypothyriodism and is there a precedent for this. I have my pfa inputs since 2006 and its clear I didnt gain that weight till after I got sick. this situation is very discouraging but I continue to work hard. thank you for reading and responding.

Jason Perry

Benevolent Leader
Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hypothyroidism and Obesity (maybe jason can answer this)

haz,

Obesity is not a separately ratable condition. However, if your hypothyroidism is unfitting (and perhaps the obesity counts for arguing that you are unfit), then weight gain is part of the rating criteria:

7903 Hypothyroidism

Cold intolerance, muscular weakness, cardiovascular involvement,
mental disturbance (dementia, slowing of thought, depression),
bradycardia (less than 60 beats per minute), and sleepiness 100
Muscular weakness, mental disturbance, and weight gain 60
Fatigability, constipation, and mental sluggishness 30
Fatigability, or; continuous medication required for control 10

In addition, while obesity itself may not be a condition, the effects of obesity (say, heart disease, diabetes, impact on your joints/arthritis), if unfitting, may be a basis for a rating. The only thing that I would tell you to b e wary of, if your condition is that serious, is that they may try to claim that you are non-compliant by not losing weight/controlling your diet. It sounds like your weight gain is hormonal in nature, I just see the possibility of this being within your control being raised.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">