Help understanding CH 61/VA/CRSC/Reserve points

CC78

Registered Member
Hello,
I've searched a 1000 posts on here in hopes of understanding this, but I just don't get it. Can someone help me with this?
Hight 36-$7000
Reservist with 5500 points
VA-100% with wife and 2 kids under 18
CRSC-100%

RonG

Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hello,
I've searched a 1000 posts on here in hopes of understanding this, but I just don't get it. Can someone help me with this?
Hight 36-$7000
Reservist with 5500 points
VA-100% with wife and 2 kids under 18
CRSC-100%
A. What is your DOD disability rating?

B. Do you have 15.28 Active Duty Years Equivalent? 5500/360 = 15.28

C. VA-100% with wife and 2 kids under 18 = 3437.10
—————
IF your DoD percentage is 100% (75% is maximum), the following would apply:
  1. 7000 x 0.75 = 5250 retired pay
  2. 5250 - ~3437 VA = 1813 residual retired pay
  3. Assuming 15.28 is correct AD, 15.28 x 0.025 = 38.2% multiplier
  4. 7000 x 0.382 = 2674 dollar amount of longevity portion of retirement pay
  5. 2674 longevity - 1813 residual = 861 CRSC
  6. Amount each month from DFAS: 1823 + 861 = 2674
  7. Amount each month from VA: ~3437
This computation includes assumptions and inferences that might not be accurate. In other words, some of the necessary info for an accurate computation is missing.

Ron

Last edited:

CC78

Registered Member
Thanks Ron. Just entering the process so no DOD rating yet. received 70% VA 12 years ago when I left active duty. Didn't include TBIs or neck and spinal injuries from parachute accidents and combat that I'm being treated for now. Just trying to figure out this whole process. I appreciate the response.

RonG

Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Thanks Ron. Just entering the process so no DOD rating yet. received 70% VA 12 years ago when I left active duty. Didn't include TBIs or neck and spinal injuries from parachute accidents and combat that I'm being treated for now. Just trying to figure out this whole process. I appreciate the response.
You’re welcome. Once you have the final figures, it should be easy for you to change the data at each numbered item above and determine the amounts payable by the VA and DFAS. If I am not mistaken, the orders for a CH 61 retirement include the active duty equivalent (for those having reserve time). I had a “regular” (20 yrs+ AD) retirement so I cannot refer to my own document.

Reservists: “Years of Service for Retired Pay Percentage Multiple. YOS for retirement percentage multiple determines the years of service for computing the retired pay multiplier. This category of years of service includes all periods of active service (counted as one point for each day) plus all points earned through qualifying reserve duty, not exceeding annual limits, divided by 360.”
Reference: LINK <——

Ron

CC78

Registered Member
Ok Ron, getting closer to the end here. How does the CRSC board make determinations? Does CRSC rating just match the VA injuries if they were combat related? For example, a jus gets 50%DoD and 70% VA. He then applies for CRSC and they base that rating off of...........injures that the va said were combat rated? So my question is can a guy Va Rated at 30% and have a 100% CRSC rating? Or likewise. 100% VA and only 10% CRSC?

RonG

Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
CC78,

Your questions:
1. How does the CRSC board make determinations?
2. Does CRSC rating just match the VA injuries if they were combat related? For example, a jus gets 50%DoD and 70% VA. He then applies for CRSC and they base that rating off of...........injures that the va said were combat rated?
3. So my question is can a guy Va Rated at 30% and have a 100% CRSC rating? Or likewise. 100% VA and only 10% CRSC?

Replies:

Item 1. They review the evidence submitted by the applicant.

Item 2. The following is from the pertinent financial regulation:
“630404. Qualifying Disability Ratings (Percentages)
A. A member must be entitled to [VA] compensation for service-connected disabilities under 38 U.S.C., as rated by the VA. The rating must be awarded prior to the member’s date of death.
B. Disability ratings by the Secretary of the Military Department concerned [branch of service] (or designee), as of the date on which the member retired, may be used to help make determinations of whether the member meets preliminary CRSC criteria. The actual computation of the amount of CRSC payable to an eligible retiree is based solely on VA disability determinations and the amount of VA compensation paid, without regard to any disability that is not combat-related. Military retirement decisions may be used to determine whether such disabilities are combat- related.”

Item 3. CRSC replaces waived retired pay for approved combat related disabilities. The waiver is associated with receipt of VA compensation; therefore, a VA award must be in place for the disability claimed for CRSC. Conversely, not all VA rated disabilities are approved for CRSC.

General.
A collection of CRSC material is at Supplement to CRSC Information <—-LINK
Use the red download button.

Also:
DoD 7000.14-R Financial Management Regulation Volume 7B, Chapter 63 * October 2017 VOLUME 7B, CHAPTER 63: “COMBAT-RELATED SPECIAL COMPENSATION (CRSC)”
https://comptroller.defense.gov/Portals/45/documents/fmr/current/07b/07b_63.pdf <—-LINK

Related Info:

Veterans Affairs Schedule for Rating Disabilities (VASRD)
While both the Army [and other services] and the VA use the VASRD, not all the general policy provisions set forth in the VASRD apply to the Army. Consequently, disability ratings may vary between the two agencies. The Army rates only conditions determined to be physically unfitting, compensating for loss of a career. The VA may rate any service-connected impairment, thus compensating for loss of civilian employability. Also, the Army's ratings are permanent upon final disposition while VA ratings may fluctuate with time, depending upon the progress of the condition. Further, the Army's disability compensation is affected by years of service and basic pay; while VA compensation is a flat amount based upon the percentage rating received.
<——LINK

Ron

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">