Help understanding the MEB process in the Reserves

TropicTopic

Registered Member
I am former active duty and a reservist with a 90% disability rating (I have some conditions under appeal too). At drill last weekend (I drill for points only), I was advised to start process to get the ball rolling for an MEB but I'm not clear on how to do it.
My VA PCM says he doesn't fill out that kind of paperwork and that I need to see a military doc but my unit says I can't see a military doc.

My rating from the VA is for:
50% sleep apnea
70% PTSD/Anxiety/Depression
10% plantar fasciitis
I am appealing issues with my back and knees and hearing that occurred during my active duty time.

I also sustained two separate injuries on ad but there is no LOD and my unit claims they don't know what to do about it.

I was told that if I don't get a permanent profile for the issues then I will be separated because of my rating being so high but nobody in my unit can help me with the process.
I was also told that I might be eligible for some type of incap pay but again no help from anyone.

I ets from ad in 2013 with 4 years and have been in the reserves since if that helps.
Also can I only get MEB for the issues the VA has rated or for ALL conditions and or injuries?

Would really appreciate if someone could tell me where to start.

Thanks

I am former active duty and a reservist with a 90% disability rating (I have some conditions under appeal too). At drill last weekend (I drill for points only), I was advised to start process to get the ball rolling for an MEB but I'm not clear on how to do it.
My VA PCM says he doesn't fill out that kind of paperwork and that I need to see a military doc but my unit says I can't see a military doc.

My rating from the VA is for:
50% sleep apnea
70% PTSD/Anxiety/Depression
10% plantar fasciitis
I am appealing issues with my back and knees and hearing that occurred during my active duty time.

I also sustained two separate injuries on ad but there is no LOD and my unit claims they don't know what to do about it.

I was told that if I don't get a permanent profile for the issues then I will be separated because of my rating being so high but nobody in my unit can help me with the process.
I was also told that I might be eligible for some type of incap pay but again no help from anyone.

I ets from ad in 2013 with 4 years and have been in the reserves since if that helps.
Also can I only get MEB for the issues the VA has rated or for ALL conditions and or injuries?

Would really appreciate if someone could tell me where to start.

Thanks

5 years AD. Sorry for the typo. Also I was told the MEB process could take 5 years? How would that work since I'm supposed to ets in 2019?

What reserve service are you, Navy? Army?

Ok, I'm currently in a similar situation, though navy. If you don't have a LOD (as I don't), you need to have as many doctors as you can write in your medical record that your reserve service "aggravated the condition beyond normal progression." If they can tie it to specific drill periods or active duty periods with dates, the better. Also, when your command writes their non-medical eval, if you can get your commanding officer to write that it was aggravated due to your reserve service, you might have a chance.

Ok, I'm currently in a similar situation, though navy. If you don't have a LOD (as I don't), you need to have as many doctors as you can write in your medical record that your reserve service "aggravated the condition beyond normal progression." If they can tie it to specific drill periods or active duty periods with dates, the better. Also, when your command writes their non-medical eval, if you can get your commanding officer to write that it was aggravated due to your reserve service, you might have a chance.

Thanks. That helps me understand that part, but I guess I still don't know where to start. I don't have a miitary physician and my VA doctor and the civilian ones I see aren't willing to complete the paperwork needed for me to get a permanent profile as they don't understand it. Is there any way for me to see a military physician?
I did my PHA a few months ago but that only triggered a temp profile and I'm told I need a physicians recommendation to get a permanent. Someone whispered in my ear that our new CDR is going to start the process of transferring all with a 30% rating or above to IRR and get rid of us that way so time is of the essence. Just need to know how to get started.

Any ideas?

You should have army doctors available at wherever you drill. Next drill weekend, as to see the doc or set up an appointment. The Navy has medical departments at each of it's reserve centers (i.e., NOSC) , I would assume the army has the same to ensure the reserve guys remain ready for active duty.

Not the same, I've been with 5 Army reserve units and trained with many more and all but 1 didn't have any physicians available...

One idea, I would look for a VA doc that was prior service and ask to transfer into his care, he would be more familiar with profiles etc.

I have also been put on orders for 2-3 days to travel to San Diego, Ca to be seen by a Naval Doc, it was SD or Fort Irwin, Ca they chose SD due to finances, mileage etc. I dont know if it's the correct way, but it's my personal experience.
The travel to see the Doc was to determine if I was fit for duty and stay in the Reserves.

Feel free to reply if you have any questions...

My background is 19 years in (2 bad years), 9 AD with the <2> Rangers, 1 OIF, 1 OEF trip, 8 USAR years (Civil Affairs, Drill SGT Unit, OC-T, and Med Det.

Currently 90% SC, looking to get Med boarded myself...trolling these forums to find a place to start. Good Luck

I'm at the end of the MEB process for the reserves (I was active prior to this) Talk to your medical readiness NCO to get the ball rolling on some LODs and then initiate a MEB through them. All of your conditions will be looked at again through your C&P exams for the MEB and in my situation mine increased by 70%. Feel free to ask any questions if you have any and hopefully I can help! Good luck!