Help with a MEB

strongrally

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I have 2.5 years of service in the Navy. I hurt my back in april of 2015 but never brought the issue up until later. I have been lld with 2 herniated discs(l4/l5 and l5/s1) and its pinching a nerve root giving me painful sciatica. I brought the issue up in november of 2015. I started my limdu term in january and get limdu orders to a different command a few weeks ago where i have been since. I had one injection so far and it didn't do anything for me. I saw my doctor who gave it to me today and told him that and he recommends i get a endoscopic discectomy. I see my neurosurgeon tomorrow who is also on my case and will see what he says. There was no hint of a MEB. I have done 3 months og physical therapy with no improvement so they stopped seeing me as well as 6 treatments with the chiropractor with no improvements and one injection. How do I start the process for this MEDBOARD without being hesitant. Im tired of being on hold and not enjoying my life like I want to. Any help is appreciated.

strongrally

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
i talked to my doctor and hes going to put on my profile that im in a limited restriction condition and that should get the process started for a MEB. I dont meet back up with him for 6 weeks though. Am I going to be contacted about the meb and what i should right down on it or how does it work?

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
There should not be a rush to MEB, if treatment is still an option.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
@strongrally

That is a personal decision. Surgery has risk and benefits. Only you can decide what is best for you. But many illnesses and injuries have long recovery times.

My concern is that some of the services may be using the process as a force management tool. If you get less than a 30% rating on your unfitting condition(s) then you end up with severance and a small monthly VA check. If you want out then that is tempting in the short term, but may not be a good choice in the long term.

Again, the decision is highly personal and only you can do what is best for you.

Best wishes
Mike

strongrally

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Thanks a lot, but from my understanding if you get that 30% from dod than they have the right to tell you that your'e unfit to hold a civilian job and can't work a job again. Is this true even if its not a physical job?

Navy26ETCM

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
@strongrally That is incorrect, I don't know who put that in your head. A 30% DOD rating or higher means you would be medically retired, get a blue ID card, and be able to stay on Tricare. In agree 100% with what chaplaincharlie said in his post above.

strongrally

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">