Help With CG MEB Timeline

ITOkie

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
A MEB board has just been started on me for MS. The Dr. told me they would likely put me TDRL to see if my symptoms stabilize. Right now I stay home and am unable to work. Could anyone give me a rough estimate on how long this will take. Sitting here in medical limbo is hard and I could really use the support of my family back home.

A MEB board has just been started on me for MS. The Dr. told me they would likely put me TDRL to see if my symptoms stabilize. Right now I stay home and am unable to work. Could anyone give me a rough estimate on how long this will take. Sitting here in medical limbo is hard and I could really use the support of my family back home.

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Indeed, but I am unable to offer a CG potential DoD Legacy MEB/PEB timeline unfortunately.

From a supportive point-of-view, please continue to follow all Command leadership requirements while in the DoD Legacy MEB/PEB process to the best of your ability; if applicable.

Nonetheless, please continue to be positively proactive throughout your interactions while within the DoD Legacy MEB/PEB process; it could potentially yield favorable dividends in my opinion! ;)

Albeit not direct family, we here at the PEB Forum are available to potentially provide informational support about the DoD Legacy MEB/PEB process to include some forms of moral support as feasiblely as possible.

Bottom line is that you are not alone; we are here, just present an inquiry and/or a dialogued support session! :cool:

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

First of all, welcome to the board Brother.

Second, just so you know, you're in for some rough seas ahead so definitely secure for sea. The Coast Guard is the worse it seems at processing the PDES. Most other services are utilizing the IDES and we are still using the Legacy system. Biggest difference is that you will still have to apply for VA compensation once/if you are separated. The Coast Guard system seems to be some big secret where everyone knows someone who knows someone that went through it, but know one seems to know the truth.

That's the rough side of it. The good side, you've found an outstanding resource here in this forum. Read, read, and read some more. While much of it is different in the Coast Guard, it's more that we arrive at the same destination, we just take the scenic route.

I am currently going through the process. For me, the longest part seemed to be the MEB portion. That is the portion actually done by the CG Doctor. Mine took 4 months, but there were some valid, and some not so valid reasons for that. I am on Tricare Prime-Remote, so I don't get care at a Military Facility. Just getting my doctors notes and referrals all gathered together took forever. Then after I saw my initial NARSUM, which is the Narrative Summary that gets sent to the IPEB, I disagreed with it and didn't believe it covered all my conditions. The good part, the CG Dr. listened, read my civilian Dr notes and re-wrote it and did an excellent job. That isn't what I've heard from most people.

Earlier I used the term IPEB......the IPEB are the people in Washington DC at PSC that actually decide whether you are fit or unfit, and if unfit, at what percentage your disabilities are rated. I can't find the link right now, but Warrior644 has posted it several times to the VA ratings criteria.

In the very recent past, it was taking 1-2 years on average for the IPEB to adjudicate your record. That is not the case anymore. My packet was check-in about a week ago, and it stated that the wait for the IPEB to render a finding is less that 6 months. Now, if you know CG speak from the A school list, that could mean anything from a week to 6-7 months, but much better than it has been.

After the IPEB renders there findings, and either separates or retires you, you will have 90-120 days until it actually happens. It has to go through 3 different levels of review. Now that doesn't mean you are stuck at your unit for all that time. You still get to take terminal leave and if retiring, you may request another 20 days permissive TAD, so the clock starts ticking pretty quick at the point you get your findings.

Big thing, keep your command informed. I've found that alot of commands are very supportive in the beginning, but as time goes on, they have more critical things to do that worry about you.

I'm not an expert at this system, I'm just a BMC that's had a few of my subordinates go through this, so I've seen it from the command side, and know living it from this side. It's hard not knowing. I'm stuck in another state from my wife and I don't even go to the Station anymore. I literally go to therapy and doctor's appointments and that's it. It's hard for me to understand and keep myself in check, because I could be doing the same thing where my wife is, but those are the rules and I'm not about to throw it all away because I can't put up with some BS for a little bit of time in the grand scheme of things. Speaking of rules, I can't think of the number, but google USCG PDES Manual and read it. It's the COMDTINST that is pretty much going to rule the next 9-12 months of your life.

Any specific questions ask away. If they're personal, send me a PM. Good luck Shipmate

Tom

Indeed, but I am unable to offer a CG potential DoD Legacy MEB/PEB timeline unfortunately.

From a supportive point-of-view, please continue to follow all Command leadership requirements while in the DoD Legacy MEB/PEB process to the best of your ability; if applicable.

Nonetheless, please continue to be positively proactive throughout your interactions while within the DoD Legacy MEB/PEB process; it could potentially yield favorable dividends in my opinion! ;)

Albeit not direct family, we here at the PEB Forum are available to potentially provide informational support about the DoD Legacy MEB/PEB process to include some forms of moral support as feasiblely as possible.

Bottom line is that you are not alone; we are here, just present an inquiry and/or a dialogued support session! :cool:

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes![/quote

Thank you for the support Warrior644. I will continue to read up on everything I can find to better educate myself on the process.

First of all, welcome to the board Brother.

Second, just so you know, you're in for some rough seas ahead so definitely secure for sea. The Coast Guard is the worse it seems at processing the PDES. Most other services are utilizing the IDES and we are still using the Legacy system. Biggest difference is that you will still have to apply for VA compensation once/if you are separated. The Coast Guard system seems to be some big secret where everyone knows someone who knows someone that went through it, but know one seems to know the truth.

That's the rough side of it. The good side, you've found an outstanding resource here in this forum. Read, read, and read some more. While much of it is different in the Coast Guard, it's more that we arrive at the same destination, we just take the scenic route.

I am currently going through the process. For me, the longest part seemed to be the MEB portion. That is the portion actually done by the CG Doctor. Mine took 4 months, but there were some valid, and some not so valid reasons for that. I am on Tricare Prime-Remote, so I don't get care at a Military Facility. Just getting my doctors notes and referrals all gathered together took forever. Then after I saw my initial NARSUM, which is the Narrative Summary that gets sent to the IPEB, I disagreed with it and didn't believe it covered all my conditions. The good part, the CG Dr. listened, read my civilian Dr notes and re-wrote it and did an excellent job. That isn't what I've heard from most people.

Earlier I used the term IPEB......the IPEB are the people in Washington DC at PSC that actually decide whether you are fit or unfit, and if unfit, at what percentage your disabilities are rated. I can't find the link right now, but Warrior644 has posted it several times to the VA ratings criteria.

In the very recent past, it was taking 1-2 years on average for the IPEB to adjudicate your record. That is not the case anymore. My packet was check-in about a week ago, and it stated that the wait for the IPEB to render a finding is less that 6 months. Now, if you know CG speak from the A school list, that could mean anything from a week to 6-7 months, but much better than it has been.

After the IPEB renders there findings, and either separates or retires you, you will have 90-120 days until it actually happens. It has to go through 3 different levels of review. Now that doesn't mean you are stuck at your unit for all that time. You still get to take terminal leave and if retiring, you may request another 20 days permissive TAD, so the clock starts ticking pretty quick at the point you get your findings.

Big thing, keep your command informed. I've found that alot of commands are very supportive in the beginning, but as time goes on, they have more critical things to do that worry about you.

I'm not an expert at this system, I'm just a BMC that's had a few of my subordinates go through this, so I've seen it from the command side, and know living it from this side. It's hard not knowing. I'm stuck in another state from my wife and I don't even go to the Station anymore. I literally go to therapy and doctor's appointments and that's it. It's hard for me to understand and keep myself in check, because I could be doing the same thing where my wife is, but those are the rules and I'm not about to throw it all away because I can't put up with some BS for a little bit of time in the grand scheme of things. Speaking of rules, I can't think of the number, but google USCG PDES Manual and read it. It's the COMDTINST that is pretty much going to rule the next 9-12 months of your life.

Any specific questions ask away. If they're personal, send me a PM. Good luck Shipmate

Tom
Hello Tom,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with me. There isn't much information from other CG members on this. Especially from others dealing with MS and all it's complications. I'm an ITC so it is good to get advice from another Chief.

I'm currently starting month 2 of the MEB process and it seems like it may take awhile due to testing out different medications to see which ones, if any, work. It sounds like once it's done the CG doc will write up a Narsum that I sign before it goes to the IPEB process, right? From there you say it can take up to another 6 months? The CG doc told me MS is an automatic disqualifier and requires a waiver to be in. She also said they will put me on TDRL to see if my symptoms stabilize, so hopefully the IPEB process doesn't take as long for me.

There was something else you spoke of I would like help on. I see other peoples posts saying they got both a DoD rating and VA rating together. In the CG do we have to wait until we are found unfit and rated before applying for VA benefits, or should I get started on the VA process while in the MEB phase? Thanks again for all your help Tom.

Best Wishes!
Thank you for the support Warrior644. I will continue to read up on everything I can find to better educate myself on the process.

You are welcome, indeed! :)

No worries, it's all good; you shall be just fine! ;)

Best Wishes!

No problem brother. I've been dealing with this process for myself since March and have really had to search and hunt to find answers.

In simplified terms....you're MEB will be complete once you sign the NARSUM. Then your NARSUM, CO's letter, pertinent information from your medical record and a few other things get sent to PSC. It took about a month for mine to get "checked-in" from the time the HS2 helping the Dr. fedexed it. You'll receive an email from Mr. Sisto once it's checked in explaining some of the process and asking for all your contact information. It'll also give you an estimated time of how long before the IPEB should decide on your case. The email I got this month said less than 6 months. I'm hearing more like 3. I was told by my Sector that my case was being expedited, but I'm not really buying off on that. I think the portion on my billet getting shopped got expedited so I could get a relief on scene and get relieved.

After the IPEB gives their decision, Mr. Sisto will call you and go over all your options and the findings. You'll have the chance to meet with a lawyer and go over everything. If you agree, it'll still be about 90-120 days before your actual out date. It has to go through 3 different levels of review before it's official and we all know how fast CG Legal moves.
2nd thing. What you see people posting are from DOD. DOD is obeying the law and congressional mandate, which we aren't, and have implemented the Integrated Disability Evaluation System (IDES.) We still use the Legacy DES so you'll still have to do the VA stuff once you're out. You can however avail yourself of the BDD program if you have a confirmed out date between 180-90 days out. So basically, start having you ducks in a row and be ready to file once you get your findings and agree with them, because you'll be pretty close to the minimum time requirement.

Itokie, you had mentioned something about your family. You should have a case manager assigned to your medical care. Not sure how it works in the CG, but there is a program that allows to go back home while you are awaiting MEB processing. It has some thing to do with community care, and being around your family. The only stipulation is that you have to volunteer or report into the nearest federal facility. Look into it and see if you can do it. Might just be a DoD program but might also apply to CG members.

Itokie, you had mentioned something about your family. You should have a case manager assigned to your medical care. Not sure how it works in the CG, but there is a program that allows to go back home while you are awaiting MEB processing. It has some thing to do with community care, and being around your family. The only stipulation is that you have to volunteer or report into the nearest federal facility. Look into it and see if you can do it. Might just be a DoD program but might also apply to CG members.
I've spent the past two days trying to get some information on this and haven't been able to find anything. If I have a Case Manager, I have no clue who it is. If anyone has any leads on this program I'd appreciate it. Tired of sitting in the soon-to-be frozen tundra, not working, while my wife is 1500 miles away.

I've spent the past two days trying to get some information on this and haven't been able to find anything. If I have a Case Manager, I have no clue who it is. If anyone has any leads on this program I'd appreciate it. Tired of sitting in the soon-to-be frozen tundra, not working, while my wife is 1500 miles away.
I looked for this information too and could not find anything about a case manager. I see other branches are assigned a PEBLO during the IPEB phase but I don't think the CG uses that according to this http://www.uscg.mil/adm1/resources.asp#c1 . I could always be wrong though. I did see information on getting "at home awaiting orders" but it sounds like they have to find you unfit first in the CG.

In the Assignment manual it talks about being found unfit and then member can request HAOS. In the PPPM, it just talks about awaiting disposition. In the PDES, it says something slightly different. We are the only service that doesn't find out whether we are fit or unfit until we receive our ratings. The IDES folks find out and then have to wait for the VA to come up with their ratings.
I did submit a request for HAOS about 45 days ago. The sector didn't forward it to PSC until last week. I'm assuming it'll be rejected, but it didn't hurt to ask, and I believe that I have some very valid points supporting my request. If they deny it, I'll retry when I get my unfit memo, but at that point you're just out processing anyways so I don't see it speeding up the time before you can move.
If/when I hear something on it, I'll let you know.

In the CG do we have to wait until we are found unfit and rated before applying for VA benefits, or should I get started on the VA process while in the MEB phase? T

Hey Guys,
I just started this process myself (recommended to MEB last week), so I'm pretty new with digging up the policies and "facts". But, I believe I've learned a few things. You can apply for a VA rating six months prior to your discharge date. So, you should be getting everything together and this includes any conditions that are not being reviewed in your MEB/IPEB.

Now, the six month prior needs a "hard date" which isn't what we have going through the medical process. You want your VA package ready to go as soon as you get your separation orders.

Saying that, and I believe I'm right in this (please correct me, if I'm confused!), there are two ways they will compute your disability retirement pay. It will either be a percentage as awarded by the board or your years in service times 2.5; you will be given which ever is higher. So, if you are over 20 years and you think (or you have been given) a rating less than what you would receive if you just retired, you may want to consider putting your letter in at some point. This would give you that "hard date" for your VA package and a little more control in your separation date. Just an idea.

I'm glad I found this board. I'm sure I'll be frequenting it often!

-Ben

Welcome aboard Ben,

There isn't alot of USCG discussion here and a great deal of the DOD posts can be misleading since most of them are going through the IDES process, but there is still a great deal of knowledge for dealing with the VA post-PDES. The 180 day is the BDD program. The minimum requirement is 60 days, so it may be possible to take advantage of the program if you're being medically retired, but you are absolutely correct in that it is imperative that you have your VA claims ready to submit. Mine are ready and waiting so that as soon as orders hit the board with a firm date I can upload to E-Benefits. There is also a Quick Start program if you have less than 60 days, but I honestly don't have a great deal of feedback on that program.

You are correct in that if you are rated 30% or higher and being retired you'll get the higher of the two. For example, I have 15 years. If they come back at 30%, I would get paid at 37.5 percent.

Tom

Just checking if anyone recently been going through this. I got my email oct 13 saying board was checked in and should hear back in less than six months.

Just checking if anyone recently been going through this. I got my email oct 13 saying board was checked in and should hear back in less than six months.

Welcome aboard! There's not alot of Coasties on the forum and we're, with a few exceptions, the only service still using the legacy PDES so when you read about the IDES and other service folks posting things that you haven't experienced, that's just part of being legacy. I'm a month ahead of you and haven't gotten my phone call yet. Someone that worked for me had her package checked in 5 weeks before me and she just got the phone call last week, so it looks like they are wrapping up August check-ins.

Thanks for the reply. It is so nerve wracking waiting for this. At this point all I really want is the confirmation of being kicked out or not so I can't start making living arrangements. I'm sure you are going through the same things.

I'm scheduled to come in this week to review and sign my initial NARSUM. My medboard was started the first week of September, so it took roughly 4 months to get to this point. I have numerous symptoms from my MS so I believe that is why it took so long. Hopefully my package will be checked in with PEB within the next month. Yes, the waiting around is very difficult, especially for families. Best of luck to you.

That's insane it took so long for that. The fact that it hasn't been streamlined yet is crazy. My question is with MS aren't you automatically going to be found unfit or is it based on symptoms and not diagnosis?

According to the CG Medical Manual MS is an automatic dis-qualifier for even being in, so yes I should be automatically found unfit. The CG doc stated that for someone in my situation that wants to stay in the CG would have to submit a physical waiver every year. That waiver would have to be approved of course, and should I have any more flare-ups it would not get approved. I still have another 9 years before I hit 20 so it's naive for me to believe I wont get worse during that time. I love my job and the CG, but I got to do what's best for my family and my health. There's just to much unknown with this disease and I could end up being in a wheelchair at any day.

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I do not have nearly the time in you do, only 4 years, so I do mot have as much invested. At this point i feel the best thing to do is go with the flow and prepare for post cg life. I just had a spinal cord stimulator implanted which my doc said is a dq. Being a flyer means that even more. I just want the unfit for duty word to come down so I can officially start preparing for post military life.