Help

Jacque1950

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
New to this need help for grandson injured and going through med and now peb

Here is the contact info for the Navy Judge Advocate General if your grandson has questions about the process and/or needs legal assistance. Just select the state he is stationed in and it will provide a contact number.

Thank you he is at navy base in Coronado CA. Severe concussion,memory loss ,nerve damage neck and back,insomnia and constant ringing in ears which they ordered hearing aids. Separated now from buds and needs to go to PEB. They want a psychological exam and will this hurt him in future. Is medical separation an honorable discharge

@Jacque1950 ,

"Is medical separation an honorable discharge?"

Yes...”... but the severity and circumstances under which the medical condition began can impact the type of discharge one receives. The details of the discharge will be listed on the DD-214.” [This was out of context.]. RG

This should apply: An Honorable Discharge is a separation from the military service with honor. If you receive an Honorable Discharge, your discharge characterization will not preclude you from receiving VA benefits. With some exceptions, including having a service-connected disability, a minimum of 24 months of continuous active service is required to be eligible for most VA benefits. Other benefit-specific eligibility requirements may apply.

Ron

"Is medical separation an honorable discharge?"

Yes...”... but the severity and circumstances under which the medical condition began can impact the type of discharge one receives. The details of the discharge will be listed on the DD-214.” [This was out of context.]. RG

Ron
Really? What if you’re medically retired?

Really? What if you’re medically retired?
No one is retired under “Other than Honorable”.

Some are injured due to their own misconduct. That would require a LOD investigation.

Example.

If You Were At Fault in the Accident​

“If your accident or injury was caused by your own willful misconduct, you will not be able to collect any benefits for the disability. Generally, alcohol and drug abuse is considered willful misconduct barring benefits for any resulting injuries.”
Service Disability Compensation for Accidents Not Related to Combat <—-Link

Ron

Last edited:
No one is retired under “Other than Honorable”.

Some are injured due to their own misconduct. That would require a LOD investigation.

Example.

If You Were At Fault in the Accident​

“If your accident or injury was caused by your own willful misconduct, you will not be able to collect any benefits for the disability. Generally, alcohol and drug abuse is considered willful misconduct barring benefits for any resulting injuries.”
Service Disability Compensation for Accidents Not Related to Combat <—-Link

Ron
Ok, but that’s not what I’m asking. I’m surprised you think most people medically discharged get a General (under honorable) discharge.

@Coffeeaddixt

I suspect the info I gleaned from an article (rather than review a regulation) was taken out of context.

My apologies.

Ron