HIPAA Violations and Compensation

DAK1975

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I retired out of the Army in 2014 and while I was in the Army an Army physician continued to violate my HIPAA rights by transmitting information to my wife that I suffer from PTSD . While in the Army, my wife used this information to attempt to go to my Command to kick me out of my home. To avoid her going to my Command I vacated my home and we remained separated for 6 moths before we came back together. In 2020, I filed a divorce against my wife and this same Army Physician Assistant , wrote a memo to the Court in Support of my wife. In the Memo he referenced my PTSD condition. I then filed a complaint against him to the DOD DHA. He was investigated and I'm awaiting the Reports. My question is that, if the investigation confirms the violation, can I file for compensation against this individual or the Army ?

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
You are asking a complex legal question. You should consult with an attorney. There are fines for violating HIPAA, but these fines are paid to the government.

The 2020 National Defense Authorization Act now allows service members to file a claim for compensation if they feel they have been the victim of medical malpractice while serving in the military. This includes medical, dental, and other medicinal practices. Got a military medical malpractice claim? Here’s how to file

DAK1975

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
You are asking a complex legal question. You should consult with an attorney. There are fines for violating HIPAA, but these fines are paid to the government.

The 2020 National Defense Authorization Act now allows service members to file a claim for compensation if they feel they have been the victim of medical malpractice while serving in the military. This includes medical, dental, and other medicinal practices. Got a military medical malpractice claim? Here’s how to file

are asking a complex legal question. You should consult with an attorney. There are fines for violating HIPAA, but these fines are paid to the government.

Thanks very much Chaplaincharlie.

I'm awaiting the investigation reports from DHA . As soon as I receive it, I will get a Civil Right Attorney to handle it from there.

Thanks again for the information.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">