Honorable Discharge to Medical Retirement

teacher0331

Registered Member
This is my first time posting here, and wanted to know if it is possible to request to change my honorable discharge to medical retirement. I served just under 7 years (4 USMC, 2 years 7 months Army). I was infantry with one combat deployment and 2 training deployments throughout South East Asia. I was on a profile basically my entire Army enlistment due to back problems and PTSD. When going over my options with my Medical Officer in Korea he informed me that a med board would likely hold me past my ETS for close to a year and he wouldn't recommend me for much of a rating, he told me it would be a waste of time so I went ahead and finished the rest of my contract on a profile and applied for a voluntary early release to attend college. Within days of getting out off active duty I received my VA disability rating of 100% P&T. I understand DOD ratings are completely different than VA rating but I feel like I was basically lied to by my MO when he said that a med board would have been pointless. I've now been off active duty for almost a year and a half and didn't know if it was possible to go through BCMR to become medically retired.

gsfowler

Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Yes, you can definitely request a discharge upgrade. The fact that you were rated within days of discharge can really help your claim.

If the medical separation took place between 9/11/2001 and 12/31/2009 you can go through the Physical Disability Board of Review (PDBR).

If the medical separation took place after 1/1/2010 you can go through the ABCMR.

chaplaincharlie

Staff Member
PEB Forum Lifetime Supporter
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Great advice from @gsfowler above! I'd get a copy of that VAratings that occurred just after separation and hold on to them.

teacher0331

Registered Member
I never went through the Med board process. Will that hinder my chances? Also would you advice getting a lawyer for this because I read if you are denied there’s nothing els you can do. I got off active duty 10/22/2017

Jhartrum

Registered Member
We are pretty much in the exact same boat almost verbatim. The only difference is I never received a profile for PTSD, only for being on 4 different types of meds for it that made me non deployable. I joined the Reserves and finally received a MEB from them for my injuries/PTSD from Active Duty. I got 80% DOD and 100% P&T VA. Good luck! I’m working on getting everything together to submit an application

oddpedestrian

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
The BDD program isn't a quasi-attempt to force the service to change your discharge characterization regardless of the rating you get at discharge (though I do believe anyone getting an IU rating at discharge probably has a better shot), as 100% rating does not mean that you cannot work nor automatically mean the DOD would consider it unfitting.

I had a feeling the BDD program was going to lead to thousands of vets claiming a rating at discharge means they should have been retired interesting to see how this will turn out but it will cause more backlog for BCMR process.

Jhartrum

Registered Member
The Army is notorious when it comes to screwing service members out of benefits they deserve because they don’t want to pay out in the end. They are perfectly ok with breaking people but not compensating them like they should. It was not the doctors place to tell him he wouldn’t recommend him for much of a rating anyway and it would be a waste of time. Not his call! The BBD process has nothing to do with that. Now when you go through a MEB 9/10 they take the VA rating for only the disabilities causing him to be unfit. If he was on profile that long for his conditions they should have started the process regardless.

oddpedestrian

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
@Jhartrum

You are confused on how this all works. The DOD must first decide if its "unfitting" before its pushed out to be rated the unfitting process has no correlation to the VA and takes more into account than what the medical records or what C&P examiners would state. We don't know if their doctor was right or wrong in not seeking a MEB maybe their C&P exam came out more favorable than what the record supports maybe they were able to function with many disabilities we had a full bird colonel with both legs missing still in the Army, disabilities no matter how severe does not mean "unfitting" and many here get fit findings when being involuntarily pushed into a MEB. Too many vets try to fight for one disability determination by using how a different disability agency concluded the same case (DOD, VA, SSA) and that rarely works especially at the federal level.

Jhartrum

Registered Member
@Jhartrum

You are confused on how this all works. The DOD must first decide if its "unfitting" before its pushed out to be rated the unfitting process has no correlation to the VA and takes more into account than what the medical records or what C&P examiners would state. We don't know if their doctor was right or wrong in not seeking a MEB maybe their C&P exam came out more favorable than what the record supports maybe they were able to function with many disabilities we had a full bird colonel with both legs missing still in the Army, disabilities no matter how severe does not mean "unfitting" and many here get fit findings when being involuntarily pushed into a MEB. Too many vets try to fight for one disability determination by using how a different disability agency concluded the same case (DOD, VA, SSA) and that rarely works especially at the federal level.
Trust me I know exactly how it works. I JUST got Medically Retired from the Reserves 23 Nov. My Active Duty doctor told me the exact same thing he did and refused to put me thru an MEB because I only had 6 months left in the military. My rating from the VA was 70% off the bat.....fast forward to today and I got Medically Retired only for my disabilities from Active Duty.....the SAME ones my doctor told me didn’t warrant an MEB. Yes he has to be found unfitting first but since he was on a PTSD profile with no signs of improvement for over a yr an MEB should have been started. It wasn’t for the doctor to decide, he should have followed the regulation. They took my 70% for my PTSD rating I received from the VA and my 20% for my neck so I’m 80% DOD. if he has the documentation to back it up then he has a fair chance.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">