Household Goods for medical retirment

JoePlasm

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Figured I'd ask here because I'm sure others have dealt with this.

My MEB was expected to complete in April based on timelines for NCR, as of 12 days ago its going to Ft Sam instead with a back log time line of 4-5 months.

My daughter starts school in her new state in August, and my wife is prepared to move ahead while I stay behind to wait this out, so she can start on time. My command has also said that they will support me moving with them if I am in an education program or one of the transition internships.

None of that helps me move my house though before I have the retimrent orders in hand. Does anyone know of a way to request an Exception to Policy or some other methed to move my retirement goods before i have my orders? Even if it's "in luie of" and cancels the movement of my final orders when they come done.

Thanks

Read through it, gives me a place to start. But since it sounds like a Navy or Marine regulation acting on the JTR I have no idea what the Army has. I know over seas you can PCS family without the service member moving, and that would be my goal. Just no idea if there is a CONUS method.

This pertains to all the unformed services:

From the Joint Travel Regulations
Section 1: Requirements For All Travel Orders Issuing a Travel Order

An Authorizing or Approving Official (AO) can authorize travel by issuing a written travel order or by issuing a letter, email, or verbal instruction followed by a written travel order. Strict administrative control must be maintained over travel order issuance.

A. Travel Order. A travel order must be either written or electronic and establish the conditions under which official travel and transportation is authorized at Government expense. An AO can authorize travel within the limits or immediate vicinity of the permanent duty station (PDS) by issuing either a written travel order or a letter, email, or verbal instruction when the AO decides it is appropriate for fund-approval purposes. Local travel in, around, or near the PDS does not require a written travel order as long as lodging or per diem is not payable. When lodging or per diem is payable, a written travel order must support the travel claim. If a travel order is not issued, approval on a claim voucher should suffice for reimbursement purposes. A travel order must not be issued for reporting to the first PDS except as specified in the Joint Travel Regulations (JTR), Chapter 5.

B. Confirmatory Travel Order. A confirmatory travel order is issued to confirm an order that was given verbally, by letter, or by message when official travel began or was performed before the written travel order was issued. A confirmatory travel order may be issued to a Service member, to a civilian employee, or in connection with an ITA. The written travel order must adhere to all of the following conditions: 1. Be issued as promptly as possible. 2. Include appropriate statements regarding the prior authorization and justification for any unusual issuance delay. 3. Be initiated by the official who directed the travel.

Ron

Have you contacted the local transportation office? That would be a good starting point.

Ron