How do I calculate my CRSC--Post New Requests at the CRSC Forum of This Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have more than 20 years
1. Members retired for disability under 10 U.S.C., Chapter 61 with 20 or more years of creditable service computed under section 10 U.S.C. § 1208 will have the maximum CRSC payment restricted to the amount, which when combined with any remaining retired pay after VA offset, will not exceed the applicable retired pay to which the member would otherwise have been entitled under any other provisions of law. A retiree who accepted the Career Status Bonus will have the reduced amount calculated based on retired pay that would otherwise have been computed under 10 U.S.C. § 1409(b)(2).
—————
Note: 10 USC 1208 pertains to retirees of the regular component (i.e., not reserve or NG).

A member of the armed forces who is not a member of a regular component shall be credited, for the purposes of the chapter. quoted above, with the number of years of service that he would count if he were computing his years of service under section 12733.

Section 12733 for reserves and NG: “For the purpose of computing the retired pay of a person under this chapter, the person’s years of service and any fraction of such a year are computed by dividing 360...points...”

You can request an audit of your pay by sending a signed request to:
Defense Finance and Accounting Service
U.S. Military Retired Pay
8899 E 56th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46249-1200

Comment: As you probably know, 20 good years in the reserves (and having the letter of eligibility) qualifies an individual for reserve retirement upon reaching the age requirement. It is not necessarily the same as the equivalent of having 20 years AD, which involves a computation using a division of total points divided by 360 (for reservists).

Ron

Last edited:
Re: "Is the DFAS CRSC Calculator fairly accurate for Chapter 61 Retirees? I was just approved for 60% CRSC on 16JUN18. DFAS said I should get my first check on 01AUG18 but I have no clue what to expect. High 3 of $3,675.70, 16years-4months-13days active (0.4083%), 100% Army and 100% VA. Married with 2 kids under 18. The Calculator states CRSC Entitlement of $1,275.09. "

Factors:
--3675.70 H-3
--16 yrs, 4 mo = 16.333 yrs
--16.333 x 2.5% = 40.83%
--3675.70 x 0.4083 = 1500.79 longevity portion of retirement
--3675.70 x 75% = 2756.78 ret pay--all waived via VA offset
--100% VA w/spouse & 2 c = 3343.48
--CRSC approved 60% = 1304.52 (this is less than 1500.79 longevity portion of ret pay)
--CRSC= 1304.52

Total each month: 1304.52 CRSC + 3343.48 VA = 4648.00

The DFAS calculator is off >$100 in this case.

Ron

Hi Ron!

I am a retired Navy Gulf War veteran. I served in ground combat during that war. Below, I have typed out my personal situation with the hopes you may be able to help me understand what I may expect (if anything) from the CRSC benefit. I only became aware of this benefit about a month ago via a fellow veteran. I am currently getting all of the required paperwork together and plan to apply with the Navy in the next month or so.

You seem to know what this is all about and any help you may be able to provide me would be greatly appreciated.

My Personal Factors:

1. My Retiree Account Statement (RAS) for end of year 2017 states my gross DOD disability retired pay = $735

(I do NOT receive any pay from the Navy as I elected to waive my Navy pay for tax-free VA benefit back in the 1990’s)

2. I receive monthly, a permanent VA 100% service-connected disability compensation (retro to active duty separation date) = $3,139.67

3. E6 (over 8 years) base retire pay in 1993 = $1,565.40

4. I am a well-documented combat service Gulf War veteran.

5. I served on active duty for 9 years 7 months.

6. I was placed on TDRL at 30% disability rating in 1993. Today, I have all retiree privileges (blue ID card) without receiving any Navy pay.

Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 5.48.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 5.28.24 PM.png

Hi Ron!

My Personal Factors:

1. My Retiree Account Statement (RAS) for end of year 2017 states my gross DOD disability retired pay = $735

(I do NOT receive any pay from the Navy as I elected to waive my Navy pay for tax-free VA benefit back in the 1990’s)
2. I receive monthly, a permanent VA 100% service-connected disability compensation (retro to active duty separation date) = $3,139.67
3. E6 (over 8 years) base retire pay in 1993 = $1,565.40
4. I am a well-documented combat service Gulf War veteran.
5. I served on active duty for 9 years 7 months.
6. I was placed on TDRL at 30% disability rating in 1993. Today, I have all retiree privileges (blue ID card) without receiving any Navy pay.

Reply:
A. The maximum CRSC you will receive is 735 in 2017 dollars
B. CRSC can be paid retroactively for up to six years.
C. The CRSC rates (other than for longevity) can be viewed at https://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/resources_comp01.asp
The VA Compensation Tables correlate to CRSC as well.
D. You will receive the lesser of the longevity portion of your retirement OR the rate/percentage approved by your service (not furnished here)—NOT TO EXCEED 735 in 2017 dollars.

Ron

Reply:
A. The maximum CRSC you will receive is 735 in 2017 dollars
B. CRSC can be paid retroactively for up to six years.
C. The CRSC rates (other than for longevity) can be viewed at https://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/resources_comp01.asp
The VA Compensation Tables correlate to CRSC as well.
D. You will receive the lesser of the longevity portion of your retirement OR the rate/percentage approved by your service (not furnished here)—NOT TO EXCEED 735 in 2017 dollars.

Ron

Thanks for your help, Ron. I truly appreciate it.

This is so confusing for me to wrap my head around. When you say in 2017 dollars, does that mean the $735 is in 1993 dollars? How do I calculate for longevity?

Thanks a bunch,

John

First you have to determine if you are under the Final Pay Plan or High 36:
Final Pay Entry before September 8, 1980
High-36 Entry on or after September 8, 1980

For both the Final Pay and High-36 retired pay plans each year of service is worth 2.5% toward the retirement multiplier.

The multiplier for disability retired pay is either:

—2.5 percent for each year of service,
or
—disability percentage assigned by the service at the time you retire

All of the retirement plans determine your monthly pay by multiplying your retired pay base by a service percentage:

Retired Pay Base
x Service Percent Multiplier
= Gross Retired Pay

Military retired pay is subject to a dollar for dollar offset when the retired member is also in receipt of VA disability compensation. However, there are two programs that restore partial or full retired pay when a member is eligible for concurrent DoD and VA payments. You are not eligible for CRDP.

CRSC for disability retirees with less tha 20 years is the LESSER of
—dollar amount of Longevity portion of retirement
OR
—dollar amount found in the VA comp tables that mirrors the CRSC percentage approved

To determine your CRSC, you would have to first recreate the computation for your retirement in 1993.

After that is determined, the computation of CRSC could be completed. Frankly, since 20+ years have passed since
you retired, it is best to let DFAS do it. I mentioned the $735 would be the maximum CRSC. I assumed that was the end result of your initial gross retirement amount extrapolated by the numerous COLA increases since you retired.

Ron

Added: using your 1565 pay in 1993
—1565 x 24% multiplier = 375.60 using the 2.5% each year factor
—1565 x 30% multiplier = 470 using disability percentage
This might be close to retired pay computation back in 1993

The VA comp rates for that era would have to be used to determine the VA offset.

Again, since this involves more than 20 years of payments received, it is best done by DFAS.

Last edited:
First you have to determine if you are under the Final Pay Plan or High 36:
Final Pay Entry before September 8, 1980
High-36 Entry on or after September 8, 1980

For both the Final Pay and High-36 retired pay plans each year of service is worth 2.5% toward the retirement multiplier.

The multiplier for disability retired pay is either:

—2.5 percent for each year of service,
or
—disability percentage assigned by the service at the time you retire

All of the retirement plans determine your monthly pay by multiplying your retired pay base by a service percentage:

Retired Pay Base
x Service Percent Multiplier
= Gross Retired Pay

Military retired pay is subject to a dollar for dollar offset when the retired member is also in receipt of VA disability compensation. However, there are two programs that restore partial or full retired pay when a member is eligible for concurrent DoD and VA payments. You are not eligible for CRDP.

CRSC for disability retirees with less tha 20 years is the LESSER of
—dollar amount of Longevity portion of retirement
OR
—dollar amount found in the VA comp tables that mirrors the CRSC percentage approved

To determine your CRSC, you would have to first recreate the computation for your retirement in 1993.

After that is determined, the computation of CRSC could be completed. Frankly, since 20+ years have passed since
you retired, it is best to let DFAS do it. I mentioned the $735 would be the maximum CRSC. I assumed that was the end result of your initial gross retirement amount extrapolated by the numerous COLA increases since you retired.

Ron

Added: using your 1565 pay in 1993
—1565 x 24% multiplier = 375.60 using the 2.5% each year factor
—1565 x 30% multiplier = 470 using disability percentage
This might be close to retired pay computation back in 1993

The VA comp rates for that era would have to be used to determine the VA offset.

Again, since this involves more than 20 years of payments received, it is best done by DFAS.

Roger that, and thanks again, Ron! I can see you are responding to many of us here (as well as on the "Veterans Benefits Network") and I thank you for giving us your time and expertise.

With the hopes of benefiting other vets following along in this thread, I will send in my CRSC application providing any and all DFAS updates along the way. Also, I promise to post updates as soon as I get them from DFAS. In addition, I will upload any written documentation I get from Navy DFAS with the hopes that it helps other vets along the way.

All the best,

John

Hello again Ron,

I have another question for you, Sir. I am technically rated at 160% disabled with the VA (retro back to separation date in 1993 about three years after my discharge) of which all are combat-related. Of course, as you and I both know, a veteran such as myself can only receive as high as 100% benefit under VA regulations.

That said, all my disabling conditions are documented, itemized, and coded on my VA rating decision sheet as (Service Connected, Gulf War, Incurred) provided to me from my DAV service rep last week.

My question for you sir, is this; is it likely I will get rated 100% by DFAS with my VA rating being at the level it is? If so, does this mean I will receive the full Navy retirement pay benefit which is currently set at $735 per month according to my Retiree Account Statement (RAS) for the year 2017? Or, do I still fall under a different (LESSER) computation guideline?

All the best,

John

Hello again Ron,

I have another question for you, Sir. I am technically rated at 160% disabled with the VA (retro back to separation date in 1993 about three years after my discharge) of which all are combat-related. Of course, as you and I both know, a veteran such as myself can only receive as high as 100% benefit under VA regulations.

That said, all my disabling conditions are documented, itemized, and coded on my VA rating decision sheet as (Service Connected, Gulf War, Incurred) provided to me from my DAV service rep last week.

My question for you sir, is this; is it likely I will get rated 100% by DFAS with my VA rating being at the level it is? If so, does this mean I will receive the full Navy retirement pay benefit which is currently set at $735 per month according to my Retiree Account Statement (RAS) for the year 2017? Or, do I still fall under a different (LESSER) computation guideline?
John,

DFAS does not approve CRSC, the Navy in your case, is the approving authority. Also, you must waive retired pay dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation.

VA comp CAN be more than the 100% rate if they are awarded SMCs (Special Monthly Compensation). I have SMC-S and SMC-K and I am paid around $3434 without dependents. SMC is an additional tax-free benefit that can be paid to Veterans, their spouses, surviving spouses and parents. For Veterans, Special Monthly Compensation is a higher rate of compensation paid due to special circumstances such as the need of aid and attendance by another person or by specific disability, such as loss of use of one hand or leg. For spouses and surviving spouses, this benefit is commonly referred to as aid and attendance and is paid based on the need of aid and attendance by another person.

CRSC for CH 61 retirees and is the lesser of
—dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay
OR
—dollar amount of the CRSC rate approved by the service concerned. The VA comp tables provide the various rates.

Residual retired pay will reduce your CRSC.

As mentioned previously, it is best to wait for the computation by DFAS since your case goes back two decades +.

I make it a habit to never forecast whether certain disabilities will be approved for CRSC unless a Purple Heart or one of the VA presumptives are involved.

Ron

Hello again Ron,

All the best,

John
John,

DFAS does not approve CRSC, the Navy in your case, is the approving authority. Also, you must waive retired pay dollar for dollar in the amount of VA compensation.

VA comp CAN be more than the 100% rate if they are awarded SMCs (Special Monthly Compensation). I have SMC-S and SMC-K and I am paid around $3434 without dependents. SMC is an additional tax-free benefit that can be paid to Veterans, their spouses, surviving spouses and parents. For Veterans, Special Monthly Compensation is a higher rate of compensation paid due to special circumstances such as the need of aid and attendance by another person or by specific disability, such as loss of use of one hand or leg. For spouses and surviving spouses, this benefit is commonly referred to as aid and attendance and is paid based on the need of aid and attendance by another person.

CRSC for CH 61 retirees and is the lesser of
—dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay
OR
—dollar amount of the CRSC rate approved by the service concerned. The VA comp tables provide the various rates.

Residual retired pay will reduce your CRSC.

As mentioned previously, it is best to wait for the computation by DFAS since your case goes back two decades +.

I make it a habit to never forecast whether certain disabilities will be approved for CRSC unless a Purple Heart or one of the VA presumptive are involved.

Ron

Thanks again, Ron! Based on all of what you have shared with me, I am going to simply fill out the CRSC application attached with all of my evidence and let the DFAS chips fall where they may.

All the best,

John

Hi Ron. Can you help me to calculate how much will be my crsc?
I just received the official letter with 70%. Va compensation 90% 1 dependant under 18 old years, 1 spouse, 11 years 3 months as active duty.
2,041 va
50.41 army

Hi Ron. Can you help me to calculate how much will be my crsc?
I just received the official letter with 70%. Va compensation 90% 1 dependant under 18 old years, 1 spouse, 11 years 3 months as active duty.
2,041 va
50.41 army
The following would be necessary for a computation:

1. Average of high three years years base pay for retirement OR Gross Retired Pay on DFAS RAS (indicate which)
2. DOD retirement percentage

3. AD years: 11 yrs 3 months
4. VA comp percentage, dependents, and amount: 90%; spouse & 1 child U/18; $2041
5. CRSC percentage: 70%

Ron

GIjane70,

Earlier, I remarked that the following would be needed for an estimate:

1. Average of high three years years base pay for retirement OR Gross Retired Pay on DFAS RAS (indicate which)
2. DOD retirement percentage
3. AD years: 11 yrs 3 months
4. VA comp percentage, dependents, and amount: 90%; spouse & 1 child U/18; $2041
5. CRSC percentage: 70%
——
If you choose to compute the estimate yourself...
A. The average of high three asked at item one is necessary. If unknown, use the gross retired pay on most recent RAS and divide by DOD retirement percentage. Example with gross of 2000 and DOD @ 60%: 2000/0.60 = 3333.33 HIGH THREE
B. Active duty 11 years 3 months is 11.25 x 2.5% = 28.23 multiplier
C. Gross retired pay minus amount of VA COMP: 2000 minus 2041 = zero residual retired pay
D. High three (example) 3333.33 x 28.23 multiplier = 941 dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay
E. CRSC @ 70% spouse and 1 child u/18 = 1,566.48 (use VA compensation tables for amount)
F. Item D less than item E = 941 CRSC payable in this example.
Note: Any residual retired pay reduces the amount of CRSC payable.

Ron

Hello Ron,

I was wondering if I could get some help computing mine as well.

I have the following:

7 years 11 months active duty time.
100% VA/Army
I currently collect roughly $3700 a month on my disabled retirement pay with 2 dependents.
I am supposed to get my approval/denial letter sent out today. I was 100% on my cancer alone which was rated as combat related among many other things.

Do you have an idea of what my monthly compensation would be. Also do they typically back pay to the date of retirement? I was retired on 06/15/2016

Thanks,

Brendan

Hello Ron,

I was wondering if I could get some help computing mine as well.

I have the following:

7 years 11 months active duty time.
100% VA/Army
I currently collect roughly $3700 a month on my disabled retirement pay with 2 dependents.
I am supposed to get my approval/denial letter sent out today. I was 100% on my cancer alone which was rated as combat related among many other things.

Do you have an idea of what my monthly compensation would be. Also do they typically back pay to the date of retirement? I was retired on 06/15/2016

Thanks,

Brendan
Please clarify the following:

1. What was your DOD retirement percentage?
2. What was your high 3 average base pay for retirement. If you do not know, provide your gross pay from your DFAS RAS. Please indicate the source (high 3 or RAS gross)
3. What is your VA compensation percentage and amount? What are the categories and number of dependents for each (1 spouse is known)?
4. What is your approved CRSC percentage ?
5. I understand you had 7 yrs 11 months AD (7.92 yrs).

Ron

Last edited:
Hey Ron,

Thanks for the follow up.

I might be confused in regards to the retirement percentage of DOD, but I was 100% by both the Army and VA.

The amount I receive monthly is 3680ish with 2 children and a spouse. Though I'm recently divorced so I'm not sure if that will effect it.
I'm not quite sure if that's any different from the gross 3 year high. I'm pretty sure that was aligned with my last 3 years of service as a SSG.

I am unsure of the CRSC %, but talking with them earlier the lady seemed sure I'd be 100%.

TIS is correct.

I hope this helps.

Hello there smitke08,

From one fellow VA pensioner to another, if you are legally divorced from your wife and you have not remarried, you need to inform the VA of your change in dependant status. When the VA becomes aware of any dependant changes in the future, they will do the calculations and require you repay any portion of your benefit of which they overpaid you.

I hope this helps,

John

I might be confused in regards to the retirement percentage of DOD, but I was 100% by both the Army and VA.
The amount I receive monthly is 3680ish with 2 children and a spouse. Though I'm recently divorced so I'm not sure if that will effect it.
I'm not quite sure if that's any different from the gross 3 year high. I'm pretty sure that was aligned with my last 3 years of service as a SSG.
I am unsure of the CRSC %, but talking with them earlier the lady seemed sure I'd be 100%.
TIS is correct.

Estimate based on available info and some inferences.

1. I cannot determine if the amount of 3680 is DOD retirement or VA compensation. E6 over 6 in 2016 = ~ 3,033
Maximum DOD disability retirement percentage by law is 75%. Guess of high 3 being 3033 x 75% = ~2275 retired pay
All waived due to VA comp being in excess of that amount. No residual retired pay.
2. 100% VA comp veteran with 2 children under 18 = 3000 +
3. 7.92 years x 2.5% = 19.8% multiplier
4. Guess high three 3033 x 0.198 = 600.53 dollar amount of longevity portion of retirement
5. CRSC @ 100% (not to exceed waived retired pay = 2275)
6. Item 4 is less than item 5 = 600.63 CRSC payable

CRSC can be retroactive for up to six years. The CRSC approval letter will have the effective date. Retro CRSC should be received within a 1-6 month range and likely at the lower end of that range.

Note: This computation was done with imprecise info...

Excellent advice by John regarding the divorce and changing number of dependents with VA. Each month you are paid compensation that includes the divorced spouse you are overpaid.

Ron

Last edited:
Hope this helps.
Thanks..that is for VA compensation. The “issue” was high three base pay for retirement. The VA award info does not change the estimate I provided with limited info.

All your retired pay has been waived so there is no residual retired pay that would reduce CRSC.

Your approved CRSC rate is more than the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retirement, so the longevity amount is the ceiling/maximum.

$600.33 is your CRSC based on info available.

Ron

Thanks again for taking your time to help everyone on here. I was an E-6 as of 11/13-06/16 when I got out. I’m guessing three year high would be figured out based off those and the correlating pay scales during that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.