How do I calculate my CRSC--Post New Requests at the CRSC Forum of This Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmwehs

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello,

Can someone help me calculate my CRSC?

I have 90% Disability from the PEB, 100% VA, 50% combat related.

I retired as a LTC with $6,800 with a VA waiver of $2,045.

Thanks for your help!

Chris
------
Edited by Moderator, 21 July 2019

Thread closed. Original questions were answered long ago.

New CRSC questions and threads can be posted at Path for CRSC Forum: LINK <----

For new thread in that forum:
Click on the red POST THREAD button (upper right of page).

Ron

Sir, glad to hear you are being taken care of. From what I have researched and been told by my lawyer here on post, the percentage that is considered "combat-related" is not a direct reflection of what is possible to receive via CRSC. The good news is this, you can apply through DFAS needing only you DD 214 and you can apply for anything that was deemed non retainable through the PEB. I wish you the best of luck sir in your next chapter of life.

"King of Battle"

DFAS has a retirement pay calculator that includes CRSC..... As stated above CRSC is not as easy as combat related.

That calculator is helpful in that it provides a general idea of what might receive. However, the current VA rate for 100% with spouse is $3,139.67 not $3068.90

The rate prior to 1 December 2017 was $3,078.11 (veteran with spouse, 100%). The rate prior to that increase was $3,068.90 so two updates for VA compensation rates were not made.

The CRSC rate of $917.13 is also incorrect since the tables were not updated.

The current rate for 50% veteran with spouse is $937.41

I do not know of any other flaws. It does however, give one a general idea of how much they might receive.

Ron

Added: I just noticed the calculation was done in October 2017, before the 2017 rate increase. However, I just used the calculator a few minutes ago and it provides the same numbers. Still no updates.

Last edited:
Even the general ballpark is helpful in understanding the post-army jobs I’m looking at. I’m very early in the IDES process, completed my final C&P Friday, have my NARSUM appt Wednesday.

I’m just under 17 years, been flying Apaches for 10 of those. My DQ is my back, 2 unexplained anaphylaxis episodes in one year requiring epinephrine and PTSD.

I have no idea what my numbers will be, but being able to look at the best and worst-case scenarios definitely relieves some anxiety. Frankly, I had to mentally decide that I was done no matter what. Even if they sent me home with nothing but my dog tags.

We’ll see what happens. My PEBLO and VA rep have been very helpful and I pester them with questions. It seems like the process here on Fort Hood is pretty thorough. The IDES brief was one of the best I’ve ever attended.

Had audiology, BH and the gen med C&P’s... each provider was thorough and professional.

This forum and researching the regs and frankly studying the VARSD prior to my appointments has helped me mentally through the process thus far.

Thank you for another helpful tool in my tool kit!

DFAS has a retirement pay calculator that includes CRSC..... As stated above CRSC is not as easy as combat related.
Is the CRSC pay far below what the PEB gives in their statement? I'm 90% VA and maxed at 75% from the Army with CRSC stating 50% and 10.5 active years. I have been searching the forums and haven't seen any statements of anyone that is receiving CRSC if DFAS pays close to what the PEB states. Although the Med Board did state a few of my injuries were sustained CONUS when they were in clearly in Iraq or other countries in the region. #effingarmy

Is the DFAS CRSC Calculator fairly accurate for Chapter 61 Retirees? I was just approved for 60% CRSC on 16JUN18. DFAS said I should get my first check on 01AUG18 but I have no clue what to expect. High 3 of $3,675.70, 16years-4months-13days active (0.4083%), 100% Army and 100% VA. Married with 2 kids under 18. The Calculator states CRSC Entitlement of $1,275.09.1529998040072.png

[Note: This calculator was taken down by DFAS for multiple reasons. It had not been updated since 2014. RonG Mod]

Re: "Is the DFAS CRSC Calculator fairly accurate for Chapter 61 Retirees? I was just approved for 60% CRSC on 16JUN18. DFAS said I should get my first check on 01AUG18 but I have no clue what to expect. High 3 of $3,675.70, 16years-4months-13days active (0.4083%), 100% Army and 100% VA. Married with 2 kids under 18. The Calculator states CRSC Entitlement of $1,275.09. "

Factors:
--3675.70 H-3
--16 yrs, 4 mo = 16.333 yrs
--16.333 x 2.5% = 40.83%
--3675.70 x 0.4083 = 1500.79 longevity portion of retirement
--3675.70 x 75% = 2756.78 ret pay--all waived via VA offset
--100% VA w/spouse & 2 c = 3343.48
--CRSC approved 60% = 1304.52 (this is less than 1500.79 longevity portion of ret pay)
--CRSC= 1304.52

Total each month: 1304.52 CRSC + 3343.48 VA = 4648.00

The DFAS calculator is off >$100 in this case.

Ron

Re: "Is the DFAS CRSC Calculator fairly accurate for Chapter 61 Retirees? I was just approved for 60% CRSC on 16JUN18. DFAS said I should get my first check on 01AUG18 but I have no clue what to expect. High 3 of $3,675.70, 16years-4months-13days active (0.4083%), 100% Army and 100% VA. Married with 2 kids under 18. The Calculator states CRSC Entitlement of $1,275.09. "

Factors:
--3675.70 H-3
--16 yrs, 4 mo = 16.333 yrs
--16.333 x 2.5% = 40.83%
--3675.70 x 0.4083 = 1500.79 longevity portion of retirement
--3675.70 x 75% = 2756.78 ret pay--all waived via VA offset
--100% VA w/spouse & 2 c = 3343.48
--CRSC approved 60% = 1304.52 (this is less than 1500.79 longevity portion of ret pay)
--CRSC= 1304.52

Total each month: 1304.52 CRSC + 3343.48 VA = 4648.00

The DFAS calculator is off >$100 in this case.

Ron
Thank you!! My VA is a little higher than the Caculator shows since I’m SMC-S (home bound) $3,698.32. So I finally see how it’s done. Appreciate it so much!

Thank you!! My VA is a little higher than the Caculator shows since I’m SMC-S (home bound) $3,698.32. So I finally see how it’s done. Appreciate it so much!
You are welcome; glad to help.

Note: I assume the SMC-S was not part of the CRSC board's approval. In my case (and those of many others), SMC-K and SMC-S were approved as combat related as well. They do not have percentage numbers, but the associated amounts are included. I have 100% VA + 2 SMCs and 100% CRSC. My VA far exceeds my waived ret pay.

Your approval letter would have mentioned the SMCs if they were a factor in the approval (and...SMC-S replaces the 100% VA comp rate; it is not an addition like SMC-K). It is unlikely your SMC-S was a factor in the decision.

Ron

Edited to add.
Per the Army: Will Military Service Retirees receive additional Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) funds if entitled to a Special Monthly Compensation (SMC) from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)?

"Possibly, CRSC evaluates whether a Military Service Retiree's SMC is awarded as combat-related. The CRSC legislation stipulates that only combat-related disabilities will be considered when re-evaluating Military Service Retirees' CRSC rates. The gross monthly amount of CRSC cannot exceed the gross monthly amount of retired pay, regardless of SMC determination. For instance, if the Military Service Retirees current CRSC payment is already equal to the applicant's gross monthly amount of retired pay, no additional money is due."

Last edited:
Yeah, my 100% SMC-S issue wasn’t found Combat related. Just one of my 50% and 10% issues were found Combat Related. I waited 10 years to get treatment for the first issue so there wasn’t a paper trail tying it to Iraq. I got treatment for the other two while in Iraq so those were a no brainer. I was a young and dumb medic that self treated/medicated back then because I didn’t want to get MED Boarded out. I didn’t get help until I passed out back in 2015, bounced my head off the toilet and ended up in the hospital where my heart stopped for about a minute. They had to use atropine to bring me back. It’s called “Severe Neuro-Cardiogenic Syncope” from too many concussions. Got a defibrillator and meds to raise my BP now. Not allowed to drive anymore because I pass out too much. Screwed myself by not getting a TBI study done back in 2005 after all the IED Blast. 60% is still better than nothing. Not too many guys get to retire at 36 so that’s not bad either.

Is the CRSC pay far below what the PEB gives in their statement? I'm 90% VA and maxed at 75% from the Army with CRSC stating 50% and 10.5 active years. I have been searching the forums and haven't seen any statements of anyone that is receiving CRSC if DFAS pays close to what the PEB states. Although the Med Board did state a few of my injuries were sustained CONUS when they were in clearly in Iraq or other countries in the region. #effingarmy
CRSC is limited by law. There are many post on CRSC.

See link below:

https://militarypay.defense.gov/Portals/3/Documents/CRSC_Guidance_104.pdf

CRSC for CH 61 retirees:

Combat Related Special Compensation for Chapter 61 (disability) retirees is the lesser of

--a. the dollar amount of the longevity portion of the DoD retired pay

or

--b. the dollar amount of VA compensation for combat related disabilities. (Approved percentage mirrors the rates found in the VA compensation tables.) EXAMPLE: Army approves 60% CRSC with spouse and child, find that rate in the VA comp tables.

Notes:
1. Active duty time is used to determine the longevity portion. Reservists can use their total career retired points and divide by 360 to determine the active duty equivalent factor.
2. Any residual retired pay remaining after VA offset in the computation reduces the amount of CRSC payable for CH 61.

CRSC for CH 61 retirees:

Combat Related Special Compensation for Chapter 61 (disability) retirees is the lesser of

--a. the dollar amount of the longevity portion of the DoD retired pay

or

--b. the dollar amount of VA compensation for combat related disabilities. (Approved percentage mirrors the rates found in the VA compensation tables.) EXAMPLE: Army approves 60% CRSC with spouse and child, find that rate in the VA comp tables.

Notes:
1. Active duty time is used to determine the longevity portion. Reservists can use their total career retired points and divide by 360 to determine the active duty equivalent factor.
2. Any residual retired pay remaining after VA offset in the computation reduces the amount of CRSC payable for CH 61.

Hi Ron, I’m so lost... can you help?

100% VA (1 dependent)
70% Army (Medically Retired)
$2550 is what DFAS lists as my Retired pay
3.5 AD
15 yrs reserves

Hi Ron, I’m so lost... can you help?

100% VA (1 dependent)
70% Army (Medically Retired)
$2550 is what DFAS lists as my Retired pay
3.5 AD
15 yrs reserves

1. If 2550 is your gross retired pay @ 70%, then 2550/0.70 = 3642.86 High Three
2. 3.5 yrs AD x 0.025 = 8.5% multiplier
3. 3642.86 H-3 x 0.085 = 309.64 dollar amount of longevity portion of retirement
4. You did not provide an approved CRSC rate (by service) to compare to item 3; however, it is likely higher than 309.64
5. CRSC based on limited info = $309.64

Note: You mentioned 3.5 AD. Reserve points divided by 360 = AD equivalent

Ron

Last edited:
Did I do something wrong?

3.5 years AD seems low for 15 years reserve time. I offered the conversion “formula”.

You did not provide a CRSC rate (expected or approved).

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.