How do I calculate my CRSC--Post New Requests at the CRSC Forum of This Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
mcbussard,

[see post # 280]

If you want an estimate of your CRSC entitlement...

The information associated with all of the six numbered items below is needed. Incomplete answers will preclude an accurate estimate. Each numbered item below is a factor in the CRSC calculation.

1. High three base pay average for retirement or your current DoD disability retirement gross found on page one of the DFAS RAS. Please indicate whether you are providing the high three average or the retirement gross found on the DFAS RAS. The high-36 method is the average of the highest 36 months of basic pay divided by 36. This is generally the last 3 years of service and is sometimes called high-3. EXAMPLE: High three average $3333 (or alternative: Gross Retired Pay on DFAS RAS $xxxx.xx) The gross retired pay from your DFAS RAS is preferred since it presents a gross high three that include any COLA increases.

2. DoD disability retirement percentage. EXAMPLE: 50% DoD

3. Years and months of active duty EXAMPLE: 11 years and 3 months
Note: The creditable years of service (active duty equivalent) for a reserve calculation is determined by the sum of accumulated reserve points divided by 360.

4. VA compensation:
-- percentage
and
--amount
plus
--identify dependents by category and number EXAMPLE: 60% VA Compensation, $1600, Spouse and 6 children under 18
and
---Any SMCs awarded and amount(s)

5. Approved or expected combat related disability percentage (application was required). EXAMPLE: 70% CRSC

6. Do you qualify for another type retirement besides CH 61 disability? Example: Yes, REDUX

Note: All the info listed above is necessary Often, the reply omits much of the needed info, precluding an accurate computation.

Ron

I hope I'm posting this correctly. Looking for help with this calculation.

1) DOD retirement gross is $2749 - this is noted on the RAS as CRDP

2) I guess the DoD percentage is 100? I get the full amount that I would get for retirement under REDUX.

3) 25 years and 1 month

4) VA compensation 100% total and permanent, $3606.48, spouse and 4 children under 18

5) No idea of expected CRSC percentage? Have not yet applied.

6) Yes, REDUX - the multiplier is .57

So, I am confused by this because I did not elect to waive retirement pay, but I guess that is automatic since I receive CRDP? Am I correct (from reading this thread) in that the difference could be that CRSC is not taxed where CRDP is? So, IF approved at 100%, I would receive CRSC in the amount of $2749 non-taxable, and CRDP would cease? I currently pay for the SBP out of the CRDP - and I read somewhere that's not possible with CRSC - can you still pay for it at all?

Thank you in advance for any insight you can offer!

-Joe

1 - Gross Retired Pay - 1249.00 from DFAS RAS
2 - 10 years 7 months
3 - 40% Army
4 - 90% VA, $2098.62; spouse and 1 child (college age)
5 - CRSC Applications filed - combat related injuries being claimed - 70%, 30%, 10%, 10%, 10%, 10%, 10%.
6 - Medical Retirement

I hope I have provided all necessary information. I have been trying to compute on my own and having no luck! Any help will be very much appreciated!

mcbussard,

[see post # 280]

If you want an estimate of your CRSC entitlement...

The information associated with all of the six numbered items below is needed. Incomplete answers will preclude an accurate estimate. Each numbered item below is a factor in the CRSC calculation.

1. High three base pay average for retirement or your current DoD disability retirement gross found on page one of the DFAS RAS. Please indicate whether you are providing the high three average or the retirement gross found on the DFAS RAS. The high-36 method is the average of the highest 36 months of basic pay divided by 36. This is generally the last 3 years of service and is sometimes called high-3. EXAMPLE: High three average $3333 (or alternative: Gross Retired Pay on DFAS RAS $xxxx.xx) The gross retired pay from your DFAS RAS is preferred since it presents a gross high three that include any COLA increases.

2. DoD disability retirement percentage. EXAMPLE: 50% DoD

3. Years and months of active duty EXAMPLE: 11 years and 3 months
Note: The creditable years of service (active duty equivalent) for a reserve calculation is determined by the sum of accumulated reserve points divided by 360.

4. VA compensation:
-- percentage
and
--amount
plus
--identify dependents by category and number EXAMPLE: 60% VA Compensation, $1600, Spouse and 6 children under 18
and
---Any SMCs awarded and amount(s)

5. Approved or expected combat related disability percentage (application was required). EXAMPLE: 70% CRSC

6. Do you qualify for another type retirement besides CH 61 disability? Example: Yes, REDUX

Note: All the info listed above is necessary Often, the reply omits much of the needed info, precluding an accurate computation.

Ron

Here is what I have, would really appreciate an estimate since the DAFS link won't work for me.

1. Gross pay DFAS RAS = $3127.00
2. DOD % = 100%
3. 15 years 7 months
4. VA= 100% VA Compensation, $4079.82, Souse and 4 Children under 18, SCHD S & K.
5. CRSC = 100%
6. No

Thanks,
Aaron

1 - Gross Retired Pay - 1249.00 from DFAS RAS
2 - 10 years 7 months
3 - 40% Army
4 - 90% VA, $2098.62; spouse and 1 child (college age)
5 - CRSC Applications filed - combat related injuries being claimed - 70%, 30%, 10%, 10%, 10%, 10%, 10%.
6 - Medical Retirement

I hope I have provided all necessary information. I have been trying to compute on my own and having no luck! Any help will be very much appreciated!

Retired gross 1249/0.40 = 3122.50 high three
All retired pay reduced by amount of VA comp

10 yrs 7 mo ACTIVE DUTY = 10.58 yrs; 10.58 x 2.5% = 26.45 multiplier
3122.50 x 26.45 = 825.90 dollar amount of longevity portion of retired pay

You did not provide an estimated CRSC percentage; however, it is likely that the 825.90 will be your CRSC based on the info you provided.

Ron

Here is what I have, would really appreciate an estimate since the DAFS link won't work for me.

1. Gross pay DFAS RAS = $3127.00
2. DOD % = 100%
3. 15 years 7 months
4. VA= 100% VA Compensation, $4079.82, Souse and 4 Children under 18, SCHD S & K.
5. CRSC = 100%
6. No

Thanks,
Aaron
All your retired pay is reduced by amount of VA compensation received

3127/0.75 = 4169.33 high three
15.58 yrs ACTIVE DUTY; 15.58 x 2.5% = 38.95 multiplier
4169.33 x 38.95% = 1623.95 dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay

CRSC @ 100% would be the entire waived amount of 3127; the longevity amount is the ceiling

CRSC payable based on info provided: 1623.95

Ron

I hope I'm posting this correctly. Looking for help with this calculation.

1) DOD retirement gross is $2749 - this is noted on the RAS as CRDP

2) I guess the DoD percentage is 100? I get the full amount that I would get for retirement under REDUX.

3) 25 years and 1 month

4) VA compensation 100% total and permanent, $3606.48, spouse and 4 children under 18

5) No idea of expected CRSC percentage? Have not yet applied.

6) Yes, REDUX - the multiplier is .57

So, I am confused by this because I did not elect to waive retirement pay, but I guess that is automatic since I receive CRDP? Am I correct (from reading this thread) in that the difference could be that CRSC is not taxed where CRDP is? So, IF approved at 100%, I would receive CRSC in the amount of $2749 non-taxable, and CRDP would cease? I currently pay for the SBP out of the CRDP - and I read somewhere that's not possible with CRSC - can you still pay for it at all?

Thank you in advance for any insight you can offer!

-Joe
Joe,

It appears you are not a disability retiree based on the info you provided. (This is mentioned since this is a PEB forum...disability retirements and discharges.)

With that said, you are perfectly welcome here, the computation just has different features.

Your questions coupled with answers (assuming you have a REDUX retirement):
1. So, I am confused by this because I did not elect to waive retirement pay, but I guess that is automatic since I receive CRDP?
Answer: There is a technical answer that could be provided; however, a simple explanation is that CRDP is the mechanism that allows you to receive Concurrent Receipt. CRDP is actually retired pay by another name.

2. Am I correct (from reading this thread) in that the difference could be that CRSC is not taxed where CRDP is?
Answer: Yes, you are correct. However, there are cases where the approved CRSC percentage is not high enough to replace all the retired pay that is waived under CRSC,
Suggestion: If your approved CRSC amount (use VA compensation tables) is = > 2749...select CRSC. If it is less than 2749, select CRDP.

3. So, IF approved at 100%, I would receive CRSC in the amount of $2749 non-taxable, and CRDP would cease?
Answer: Yes

4. I currently pay for the SBP out of the CRDP - and I read somewhere that's not possible with CRSC - can you still pay for it at all?
Answer: Effective 2018, SBP can be collected from CRSC.

Ron

Subject: Waiver of Retired Pay and Other Useful Information

DFAS has a new webpage:

From DFAS:

Many military retirees who are eligible for DoD retired pay are also eligible for VA disability pay. The laws and regulations that apply when a retiree is eligible for both types of pay are complex and can be confusing, so we created a new webpage that explains the basics of the VA waiver, and the relationship between VA disability pay, retired pay, Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay (CRDP) and Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC).

The law requires that a military retiree waive a portion of their gross DoD retired pay, dollar for dollar, by the amount of their Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) disability compensation pay; this is known as the VA waiver (or VA offset). The new webpage provides an overview of how the VA waiver works. It also summarizes the two programs created by Congress to allow eligible military retirees to recover some or all of the retired pay that retirees waive for VA disability pay: CRDP and CRSC.

In addition, the webpage also explains the impact on retired pay, CRDP and CRSC when a VA disability rating changes, as well as how retroactive disability rating changes might result in a retired pay or CRDP/CRSC Processing (CCP) debt.

We hope this webpage will help retirees better understand how these programs interact.

The webpage is under the “Disability Entitlements” section of the Retired Military & Annuitants area of the DFAS.mil website at:

https://go.usa.gov/xEMry

——

Ron

All your retired pay is reduced by amount of VA compensation received

3127/0.75 = 4169.33 high three
15.58 yrs ACTIVE DUTY; 15.58 x 2.5% = 38.95 multiplier
4169.33 x 38.95% = 1623.95 dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay

CRSC @ 100% would be the entire waived amount of 3127; the longevity amount is the ceiling

CRSC payable based on info provided: 1623.95

Ron

Thanks Ron!

Glad to help...
Ron

Retired gross 1249/0.40 = 3122.50 high three
All retired pay reduced by amount of VA comp

You did not provide an estimated CRSC percentage; however, it is likely that the 825.90 will be your CRSC based on the info you provided.

Ron

Thank you very much!!!!

You are welcome...glad to help.

Ron

You are welcome...glad to help.

Ron
One other quick question. I have some combat related claims that are currently being processed. This may lead to VA being 100%. Will my CRSC amount change if this happens?

Thanks!

One other quick question. I have some combat related claims that are currently being processed. This may lead to VA being 100%. Will my CRSC amount change if this happens?

Thanks!
Your CRSC will be the lesser of Estimate :

Or

The dollar amount of the CRSC percentage approved by your service. One would use the VA compensation tables to find the amount. Since you do not have a percentage yet, a comparison cannot be made.

All the limited evidence you provided points to: 825.90 which is your CRSC ceiling.

Added: 100% CRSC in your case would be $1249 (the amount of your waived retired pay). CRSC for a CH 61 retiree can never be more than the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retirement pay, which is 825.90 in your case.

Ron

Joe,

It appears you are not a disability retiree based on the info you provided. (This is mentioned since this is a PEB forum...disability retirements and discharges.)

With that said, you are perfectly welcome here, the computation just has different features.

Your questions coupled with answers (assuming you have a REDUX retirement):
1. So, I am confused by this because I did not elect to waive retirement pay, but I guess that is automatic since I receive CRDP?
Answer: There is a technical answer that could be provided; however, a simple explanation is that CRDP is the mechanism that allows you to receive Concurrent Receipt. CRDP is actually retired pay by another name.

2. Am I correct (from reading this thread) in that the difference could be that CRSC is not taxed where CRDP is?
Answer: Yes, you are correct. However, there are cases where the approved CRSC percentage is not high enough to replace all the retired pay that is waived under CRSC,
Suggestion: If your approved CRSC amount (use VA compensation tables) is = > 2749...select CRSC. If it is less than 2749, select CRDP.

3. So, IF approved at 100%, I would receive CRSC in the amount of $2749 non-taxable, and CRDP would cease?
Answer: Yes

4. I currently pay for the SBP out of the CRDP - and I read somewhere that's not possible with CRSC - can you still pay for it at all?
Answer: Effective 2018, SBP can be collected from CRSC.

Ron
Thanks for the answers, Ron! Sorry to have been in the wrong spot. This was the first thing I've had come up in searches where someone was answering questions related to CRSC at all, and I missed the boat on what the forum is actually for.

Thanks for the answers, Ron! Sorry to have been in the wrong spot. This was the first thing I've had come up in searches where someone was answering questions related to CRSC at all, and I missed the boat on what the forum is actually for.
This board is open to all veterans/retirees/ and those in the process of leaving the military.

I've done many more "regular" retirement computations than CH 61 (at another board). Glad you joined us.

Regards,
Ron

I was recently medically retired and am now receiving 100% P&T VA disability. I have applied for CRSC, but how much will it be? I've tried to use the DFAS calculator, but it doesn't work.
E-7 - Active Duty
15 years 4 months
high 3 = $3995.76
VA Rating = 100% ($3437.10) (wife and 2 children under 18)
AF Rating = 90%
Combat related = 70% (I'm assuming. I received 70% for mental health issues; depression, anxiety, PTSD)

Any help would be appreciated!

I was recently medically retired and am now receiving 100% P&T VA disability. I have applied for CRSC, but how much will it be? I've tried to use the DFAS calculator, but it doesn't work.
E-7 - Active Duty
15 years 4 months
high 3 = $3995.76
VA Rating = 100% ($3437.10) (wife and 2 children under 18)
AF Rating = 90%
Combat related = 70% (I'm assuming. I received 70% for mental health issues; depression, anxiety, PTSD)

Any help would be appreciated!
Hello,

CRSC estimate.

1. 3995.76 x 0.75 = 2996.82 retired pay (reduced to zero due to 3437.10 VA compensation)
2. 15.333 yrs active duty x 0.025 = 38.33% longevity multiplier
3. 3995.76 x 0.3833 = 1531.57 dollar amount of longevity portion of retirement
4. 70% predicted CRSC = $1,609.71 + 59 = 1668.71
5. CRSC payable: 1531.57 dollar amount of longevity portion of retirement based on the info you provided.

Ron

Glad to assist...thank you for your comments...

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.