How do I calculate my CRSC--Post New Requests at the CRSC Forum of This Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously, the document was not designed for easy interpretation by the person for whom it pertains. It appears to be a document primarily for internal use. The DFAS audit documents are much the same (i.e., some are difficult to interpret).

Do you have questions about the approval letter itself?

Ron

Obviously, the document was not designed for easy interpretation by the person for whom it pertains. It appears to be a document primarily for internal use. The DFAS audit documents are much the same (i.e., some are difficult to interpret).

Do you have questions about the approval letter itself?

Ron
No sir. Just wasn't sure what those documents were. One question you may be able to answer....would Redux affect the amount of CRSC I receive?

Yes and I computed a REDUX CRSC on this site only a few days ago.

Do you have a medical retirement but also received REDUX bonus at year 15
OR
Do you have a regular (20 yr AD) retirement?

Ron

Yes and I computed a REDUX CRSC on this site only a few days ago.

Do you have a medical retirement but also received REDUX bonus at year 15
OR
Do you have a regular (20 yr AD) retirement?

Ron
Yes I received a REDUX bonus at 15 years and was later medically retired.

CRSC computation:
--As a REDUX retiree CRSC will be the lesser of the longevity portion of your retired pay (using REDUX formula)
OR
--The dollar amount associated with the CRSC percentage approved with the number of dependents you have, using the VA compensation charts.

Ron

1. Your retired pay will be reduced by the amount of VA compensation (the document you provided suggests this is being done).

2. CRSC will replace some of the waived retired pay.

3. CRSC does not replace the disability portion of retirement pay.

4. The longevity portion of your retirement pay will be determined via the REDUX formula.

Ron

One additional question.

Do you also have 20 years AD which qualified you for a regular retirement?

Ron

16 years active duty time
Thank you...I had assumed you had 20 years or more on AD.

In cases where the retiree has less than 20 years active duty; the REDUX multiplier does not apply to the REDUX retirement plan at under 20 years of service since REDUX is only an active duty retirement plan.

Your gross retired pay will be reduced by the amount of VA compensation received. If you had CRSC approved, some of the "reduced" retired pay could be replaced.
https://www.dfas.mil/retiredmilitary/disability/crsc.html <----CRSC LINK

Your CRSC will be limited to the lesser of
--non-REDUX computation of the dollar amount of longevity retirement pay
OR
--dollar amount of CRSC percentage approved by service--use VA compensation tables for amount.

Ron

Edited to add:
RETIRED PAY MULTIPLIER
For both the Final Pay and High-36 retired pay plans each year of service is worth 2.5% toward the retirement multiplier. For instance, 20 years of service would equate to a 50% multiplier. The years of service creditable are computed differently depending upon whether retirement is from full time active duty or from a reserve career. These differences are explained under the Active Duty Retirement and Reserve Retirement pages.
For the REDUX retirement plan, which applies only to an active duty retirement, the High-36 multiplier is reduced by one percentage point for each year that the member has less than 30 years of service at retirement. For instance, 20 years of service would equate to a 40% multiplier. This is discussed more fully under the Active Duty Retirement page.
For the Disability retirement plan, the multiplier may be the higher of 2.5% for each year of service or the disability percentage assigned by the Service at retirement. However, note that the disability retirement multiplier is capped at 75%.
In any case, the longer an individual serves, the higher the multiplier and the higher the retirement pay. For example:
Years of Service101520212223242530354041
Final Pay25%37.5%50%52.5%55%57.5%60%62.5%75%87.5%100%102.5%
High-3625%37.5%50%52.5%55%57.5%60%62.5%75%87.5%100%102.5%
REDUX*N/AN/A40%43.5%47%50.5%54%57.5%75%87.5%100%102.5%
*The multiplier does not apply to the REDUX retirement plan at under 20 years of service since REDUX is only an active duty retirement plan.
Reference: Retirement <—-LINK

Ron,

I tried to use the calculator on DFAS but wouldn't load.
1. $3051.77
2. 10yrs 10months
3. 40%
4. 100%
5. CRSC Pending, MEB Lawyer strongly suggested me apply. Claim was off 70% on documents submitted.
I was medically retired with like 1200 paid to the VA for comp. I counted my blessings when trying to fight few things to combat related when lawyer suggested this route after discharged. Few questions I have......

How is the CRSC percentage established? I know its based of the VA scale on my research but could be wrong.
Is it possible to receive both CRSC and VA at the same time and none taxable? Again yes its possible depends on few different factors. Yes both are tax free
What would be my possible CRSC amount be? Would it affect my VA amount? If so how would it affect it? I got no idea.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Mike,

Case.

1. $3051.77
2. 10yrs 10months
3. 40%
4. 100%
5. CRSC Pending, MEB Lawyer strongly suggested me apply. Claim was off 70% on documents submitted.
I was medically retired with like 1200 paid to the VA for comp. I counted my blessings when trying to fight few things to combat related when lawyer suggested this route after discharged. Few questions I have......

Estimate.

1. 3051.77 high three ave base pay assumed x 0.40 = 1220.70 DoD Retired pay
2. All retired pay is waived (reduced by VA amount)
3. 10 years 10 months active duty assumed results in 10.833 yrs x 0.025 = 27.08%multiplier
4. 3051.77 x 0.2708 = 826.42 longevity portion of retirement pay
5. Your CRSC will be the lesser of
—826.42
Or
—The amount associated with the approved CRSC percentage by your service. The VA compensation tables show the amount.

6. Your CRSC will likely be 826.42. CRSC also cannot be more than the waived retired pay (1220.70). You will also receive your full VA compensation.

7. DFAS calculator = flawed and out of date

Ron

Last edited:
No idea How to calculate this. Can you help?

high 3: 4125/per month
18y 10months AD
100% VA
50% Army (medboard)
CRSC 60%
Married 3 kids

No idea How to calculate this. Can you help?

high 3: 4125/per month
18y 10months AD
100% VA
50% Army (medboard)
CRSC 60%
Married 3 kids
Hello,
[edited to change high three to $4200...does not change amount payable as CRSC]

1. 4200 high three x 0.50 = 2100(reduced/waived by >3000 VA comp)
2. 18.833 years AD x 0.025 = 47.08 multiplier
3. 4200 x 0.4708 = 1977.36 longevity portion of retirement pay
4. 60% CRSC spouse and 3 children under 18 = $1,390.86
5. Item 4 is less than item 3 = $1390.86
6. CRSC = $1390.86

Ron

I am lost in the sauce here to be honest, math has never been my strong suit. I keep trying this equation and every time I am coming up with another figure that to be honest is not a realistic amount.
3 year avg. $3414.33
7 years 3 months
40% DoD
100% VA
married no children

if I am missing something please let me know. but I would appreciate any help I could get thank you in advance.

What is your approved (or expected) CRSC percentage?

Ron

I am lost in the sauce here to be honest, math has never been my strong suit. I keep trying this equation and every time I am coming up with another figure that to be honest is not a realistic amount.
3 year avg. $3414.33
7 years 3 months
40% DoD
100% VA
married no children

if I am missing something please let me know. but I would appreciate any help I could get thank you in advance.
1. 3414.33 x 0.40 = ~1366 reduced/waived by >3000 VA comp
2. 7.25 years x 0.025 = 18.13% multiplier
3. 3414.33 x 0.1813 = 619.01 dollar amount of longevity portion of retirement pay
4. Your CRSC will be the lesser of
—619.01
OR
—dollar amount of CRSC percentage approved by your service. That rate (amount) is in the VA compensation tables.

Ron

1. 3414.33 x 0.40 = ~1366 reduced/waived by >3000 VA comp
2. 7.25 years x 0.025 = 18.13% multiplier
3. 3414.33 x 0.1813 = 619.01 dollar amount of longevity portion of retirement pay
4. Your CRSC will be the lesser of
—619.01
OR
—dollar amount of CRSC percentage approved by your service. That rate (amount) is in the VA compensation tables.

Ron

hmm I know these are just rough estimates but currently I WAS receiving 50% at the rate of $542and change and for some reason with no explanation I am being dropped to 40% now and I am curious what my pay rate is going to be at the new percentage. thank you very much for the assistance

hmm I know these are just rough estimates but currently I WAS receiving 50% at the rate of $542and change and for some reason with no explanation I am being dropped to 40% now and I am curious what my pay rate is going to be at the new percentage. thank you very much for the assistance
Using your figures high three for retired pay:
@ 40% = 1366 gross retired pay
@ 50% = 1707 gross retired pay
All of this would be waived due to receipt of >3000 VA Compensation

Your approved CRSC percentage has not been provided.

Some of the info you provided is in error or misinterpreted if you were receiving $542.

This is a CRSC thread.

Ron

For Future Reference: CRSC Estimates for Chapter 61 Retirees

All of the following is needed for an estimate:
  1. High three average base pay OR gross retired pay on DFAS RAS (indicate which is provided) Example: 3500 from DFAS RAS
  2. Precise number of active duty or active duty equivalent years and months. Example: 9 years and 3 months
  3. DoD Disability percentage Example: 60% DoD
  4. VA percentage; the amount; and number of dependents by category Example: 100%; 3400; spouse and 3 children under 18
  5. Approved CRSC rate OR expected CRSC rate Example: 80% approved CRSC
  6. Indicate if any of the following apply: have 20 good years for reserve retirement OR received REDUX Example: have 20 good years for reserve retirement
A collection of CRSC info is at LINK <—-

Ron

For Future Reference: CRSC Estimates for Chapter 61 Retirees

All of the following is needed for an estimate:
  1. High three average base pay OR gross retired pay on DFAS RAS (indicate which is provided) Example: 3500 from DFAS RAS
  2. Precise number of active duty or active duty equivalent years and months. Example: 9 years and 3 months
  3. DoD Disability percentage Example: 60% DoD
  4. VA percentage; the amount; and number of dependents by category Example: 100%; 3400; spouse and 3 children under 18
  5. Approved CRSC rate OR expected CRSC rate Example: 80% approved CRSC
  6. Indicate if any of the following apply: have 20 good years for reserve retirement OR received REDUX Example: have 20 good years for reserve retirement
A collection of CRSC info is at LINK <—-

Ron

Need alittle help here please.

1. 2860
2. 6 years 9 months
3. 90%
4. 3255, 100% 2 dependent children under 18
5. 90 CRSC
6. PDRL

Status
Not open for further replies.