How do I start the process and what to expect?

Pikeman

Registered Member
I have 27 years Army Reserve with about five and a half Active, all for deployments. I already have a 50% rating from the VA however I am going for review with a recommended increase. I have been told that I should be looking at 90-100% since my condition keeps getting worse. The problem that has been getting worse is that I keep having seizures, left side of body with confusion disorientation. Basically stroke like activity however each time has been determined it is not a stroke. VA has screened me positive for TBI 5 separate occasions and last several visits for this Stroke like activity they say is related to my TBI(however they initially denied my rating for TBI).

This is not only affecting my ability to function at work but has greatly affected and happened a few times while at BTA on Drill weekend. I was hoping to make it 30 years and pick up CSM however reality has set in that it is time to hang up the Uniform as my body can longer handle Service.

How does the process work and how do I start it?
Does it help that I already have a VA rating?
Should I wait for it to get increased?
Since I am over 20 is it an Automatic Retirement?

With the reserves, typically the questions that you answer on your PHA will put you in front of a physician who may decide to submit you for a MEB
It can help
It cannot hurt, however you have stated that you are having difficulty with your BTA, perhaps you may want to try to get a MEB
No, only if you have 20 active duty years, or for a reservist 7200 points. You can look up you RPAS on the HRC website to determine how many points you have.

At 20 years of reserve duty, you have earned a reserve retirement which is yours and you can collect at the age of 60 (or sooner if you have qualifying time per the 2008 NDAA).

I have 27 years Army Reserve with about five and a half Active, all for deployments. I already have a 50% rating from the VA however I am going for review with a recommended increase. I have been told that I should be looking at 90-100% since my condition keeps getting worse. The problem that has been getting worse is that I keep having seizures, left side of body with confusion disorientation. Basically stroke like activity however each time has been determined it is not a stroke. VA has screened me positive for TBI 5 separate occasions and last several visits for this Stroke like activity they say is related to my TBI(however they initially denied my rating for TBI).

This is not only affecting my ability to function at work but has greatly affected and happened a few times while at BTA on Drill weekend. I was hoping to make it 30 years and pick up CSM however reality has set in that it is time to hang up the Uniform as my body can longer handle Service.

Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

From a procedural viewpoint and to aide with building your new DoD IDES knowledgebase, the DoD IDES MEB/PEB process is explained in detail at the following URL:

http://www.pebforum.com/site/threads/a-detailed-explanation-of-the-dod-ides-meb-peb-process.22807/

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

No, only if you have 20 active duty years, or for a reservist 7200 points. You can look up you RPAS on the HRC website to determine how many points you have.

At 20 years of reserve duty, you have earned a reserve retirement which is yours and you can collect at the age of 60 (or sooner if you have qualifying time per the 2008 NDAA).

No confusion on I have EARNED a Reserve Retirement. 7200 Points is equivalent to 20 Active years so of course I don't have that. I am very familiar with how to get my retirement points.

What I am not familiar with is Medical and Medical retirement. The HRC website references medical retirement for Reservists as well as TDRL and PDRL and that those members with over 20 they end up on the PDRL. That being said like everything else in the Service the document talks in circles and very ambiguous. This is why I came and posted on this forum was to seek clarity and good solid information. There are other benefits as well that take place if you are medically retired vs. regular Reserve retired. One of those benefits that I have been told is different is medical coverage through TRICARE. As a regular "gray area" retiree I am entitled to Tricare however I pay $982 a month, my understanding is that a medical retiree gets Tricare coverage similar to an Active Duty retiree at a significant savings. This is just one example that I am seeking to clarify so I can go forward with the best information.

No confusion on I have EARNED a Reserve Retirement. 7200 Points is equivalent to 20 Active years so of course I don't have that. I am very familiar with how to get my retirement points.

What I am not familiar with is Medical and Medical retirement. The HRC website references medical retirement for Reservists as well as TDRL and PDRL and that those members with over 20 they end up on the PDRL. That being said like everything else in the Service the document talks in circles and very ambiguous. This is why I came and posted on this forum was to seek clarity and good solid information. There are other benefits as well that take place if you are medically retired vs. regular Reserve retired. One of those benefits that I have been told is different is medical coverage through TRICARE. As a regular "gray area" retiree I am entitled to Tricare however I pay $982 a month, my understanding is that a medical retiree gets Tricare coverage similar to an Active Duty retiree at a significant savings. This is just one example that I am seeking to clarify so I can go forward with the best information.

I'll tell you everything I receive, since we have very similar paths.

Service: 22 years total service (13 active duty based upon points).

Rating: 40% DoD, medically retired 100% VA P&T

Healthcare: Tricare for Life for me, Tricare Prime for my dependents

Cost for me (healthcare): I pay nothing to Tricare for me, no deductible, however I do pay $104.90 a month for Medicare Part B, I also have VA C&P based upon my 100% rating, no copays ever

Cost for my family (healthcare): Tricare Prime, $22.82 per month for my wife and daughter, $12 copay medical $25 copay mental health

Dental: Waived Tricare Dental for me, have Tricare Retiree Dental Program for my wife and daughter, $84.60 per month

Vision: no coverage for family members, coverage for me through the VA

Bottom Line, I pay $104.90 a month for myself for medical, dental and vision. I pay $107.42 for my wife and daughter for medical and dental, they have no vision coverage.