How Does Terminal Work?

CaliGrl03

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Good Evening All -

I finally received my orders last Friday with a DOS set for 28 December. How does terminal and permissive leave work? Do I final out of my unit/the base and then be on my merry way, or do I go on leave and then have to come back to final out?

Good Evening All -
finally received my orders last Friday with a DOS set for 28 December. How does terminal and permissive leave work? Do I final out of my unit/the base and then be on my merry way, or do I go on leave and then have to come back to final out?
Congrats.

I have heard of people take permissive before outprocessing their base, but usually people final out and then take permissive and terminal leave.

I finally received my orders last Friday with a DOS set for 28 December. How does terminal and permissive leave work? Do I final out of my unit/the base and then be on my merry way, or do I go on leave and then have to come back to final out?

Some of my answers will be based on assumptions. If the assumptions are wrong, the answers may well be wrong.

From what I gather you have gone through the IPEB process (and from your signature profile, you got DoD ratings of 70% and VA ratings of 100%, dated 31 Aug 2017) and you agreed with these findings and your have a date of separation approved with an effective date of 28 DEC 2017.

Leave policies are set via regulation, but, the execution and decision authority is often executed at the base level (and sometimes, it is withheld or delegated to various levels of command. Sometimes, you will see the Base/Garrison Commander as the authority...sometimes, it is delegated to a Deputy Commander, and other times, it is withheld to higher authorities. You would really need to look at your orders (it is not unusual for you to be detached/reassigned from your current unit to the base or separation authority command at the end of orders) and also compare and read the local commands authorities or policy letters.

Would be unusual or strange to have to "come back" in any way before your final separation date. I am not sure if you are thinking or wondering about PTDT/House hunting or additional time on top of your final separation date. Normally, these issues would be addressed in your out processing. Just for an example, when I separated from the Army, I had a six month authorization for movement of HHG. On application, this entitlement was extended for another year. You really need to drill down to what benefit or compensation you are asking about and the authority for granting what you are asking about.