How Long does SSDI take and what are the chances of getting it.

Aurorag

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
My husband medically retired from army in Feb 2020. After getting out he has worked two job. His employment only lasted about a month at each job. So the last time he worked was may 2020. He then tried online school but it was to much as well. He is 100 P&T. 70% for Chronic PTSD, 50% for sleep apnea, 30% for migraines, 20% back, 20% neck with arthritis, 10% shoulder injury and 10 for tinnitus. He has gainned about 110 pounds since being out of army. He never leaves the house he is in constant panic attacks. In april 2021 he spent 29 days in the hospital at VA for mental illnesses. He has had several hospitilizations since being medicaked home from Afghanistan in 2017. He is now being treated for migraines, chronic ptsd, anxiety disorder with agoraphobia, delusional disorder, sucidal ideations, and panic disorder. He is on Zyprexa 15 mg twice a day, Ativan 1 mg three times a day, Ambien 5mg at night. Prazsoin for bad dreams, Topamax for headaches and takes a monthly shot for migraines. He also takes a medicine for restless leg which is a side effect from the antispycotic medication. With a majority of his issues being mental will it be harder to get approved?

My husband medically retired from army in Feb 2020. After getting out he has worked two job. His employment only lasted about a month at each job. So the last time he worked was may 2020. He then tried online school but it was to much as well. He is 100 P&T. 70% for Chronic PTSD, 50% for sleep apnea, 30% for migraines, 20% back, 20% neck with arthritis, 10% shoulder injury and 10 for tinnitus. He has gainned about 110 pounds since being out of army. He never leaves the house he is in constant panic attacks. In april 2021 he spent 29 days in the hospital at VA for mental illnesses. He has had several hospitilizations since being medicaked home from Afghanistan in 2017. He is now being treated for migraines, chronic ptsd, anxiety disorder with agoraphobia, delusional disorder, sucidal ideations, and panic disorder. He is on Zyprexa 15 mg twice a day, Ativan 1 mg three times a day, Ambien 5mg at night. Prazsoin for bad dreams, Topamax for headaches and takes a monthly shot for migraines. He also takes a medicine for restless leg which is a side effect from the antispycotic medication. With a majority of his issues being mental will it be harder to get approved?
Expect it to take a year or 2 though sometimes it can be quicker. There is usually a 5 month waiting period built in where he has to be unemployed before benefits start so he should claim it ASAP if he isn't working. Before applying see if he can hire an attorney. They work on commission but there is limits to their pay and they only get paid once you win your SSDI claim. If he can't work then he should apply since its an earned benefit that he should get if he qualifies.

Expect it to take a year or 2 though sometimes it can be quicker. There is usually a 5 month waiting period built in where he has to be unemployed before benefits start so he should claim it ASAP if he isn't working. Before applying see if he can hire an attorney. They work on commission but there is limits to their pay and they only get paid once you win your SSDI claim. If he can't work then he should apply since its an earned benefit that he should get if he qu

It doesn’t always take a year or two but it can. Mine was awarded in 5 months. Apply and see. The ADLs are the key. If hospitalization is a regular occurrence then It seems like it would be easier to get approval. Also apply for expedited claim such as “wounded warrior” status on the application.

It doesn’t always take a year or two but it can. Mine was awarded in 5 months. Apply and see. The ADLs are the key. If hospitalization is a regular occurrence then It seems like it would be easier to get approval. Also apply for expedited claim such as “wounded warrior” status on the application.
Can they get it expedited after already being medically retired? Just curious. Her husband medically retired in 2020.

We do have an attorney but they really didnt tell us much. The attorney filled it for us Sept 27th. Then in October we recieved the self function form for him to fill out and then we recieved one for me to fill out. I just not sure what to expect. I keep hearing these horror stories on how long it takes and how mental is hard to prove. His VA records do show that he has three to four panic attacks daily. I am actually working with his counselor at VA to help get him in a program to help him. Its so weird , things will be ok for a couple months then suddently it gets bad. However since his last hosptial stay in April he has not shown any improvement. This is why I talked him into filling SSDI. He didnt want to. But hell he cant even be by himself for long. I try to have his mom or dad or my mom stay with him while I am working. If he is home by himself he freaks out. On a good day he will call me at work at least 5 times on a bad day he will call 15 times or more.

We do have an attorney but they really didnt tell us much. The attorney filled it for us Sept 27th. Then in October we recieved the self function form for him to fill out and then we recieved one for me to fill out. I just not sure what to expect. I keep hearing these horror stories on how long it takes and how mental is hard to prove. His VA records do show that he has three to four panic attacks daily. I am actually working with his counselor at VA to help get him in a program to help him. Its so weird , things will be ok for a couple months then suddently it gets bad. However since his last hosptial stay in April he has not shown any improvement. This is why I talked him into filling SSDI. He didnt want to. But hell he cant even be by himself for long. I try to have his mom or dad or my mom stay with him while I am working. If he is home by himself he freaks out. On a good day he will call me at work at least 5 times on a bad day he will call 15 times or more.
Good to hear you have an attorney! Its a government run entitlement so by definition expect road bumps and delays. Better to have that mentality going in and to be pleasantly surprised that is went faster and or easier than expected!

Can they get it expedited after already being medically retired? Just curious. Her husband medically retired in 2020.
From what I understand yes, just write on the front page “wounded warrior”.