How long until VA reopens case

Chinook4

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Was just wondering if anyone who went through ides and recently retired/separated could give some insight into how long it’s taking the va to reopen and finalize claims? My last day was 3/31 and I submitted my dd214 on 3/20. My va profile has updated to show my active duty has ended but my claim has not been reopened that I can see yet

Was just wondering if anyone who went through ides and recently retired/separated could give some insight into how long it’s taking the va to reopen and finalize claims? My last day was 3/31 and I submitted my dd214 on 3/20. My va profile has updated to show my active duty has ended but my claim has not been reopened that I can see yet

It all depends on when your actual EAS dates shows on the DD214.
For example: Say your EAS is 2/28, You take terminal (start date 2/1) even though they give you your DD214 while on Terminal you can upload it. VA doesn't take it until 1 Day after EAS date Due to not be classified as a veteran until the day after. They take about 30-40 days to re open claims, check correct address, look over DD214 and make sure your banking info is correct. Once that's done you should see it open and will start to get benefits.
Now how they pay works: Your EAS +1 Day so in this example 3/1 would be the start date- 4/1 comes You wont see money because its always for the month before -2/1-2/28, 5/1 Comes it will be for 3/1-3/31.
Once you call they will tell you this exact breakdown.

It all depends on when your actual EAS dates shows on the DD214.
For example: Say your EAS is 2/28, You take terminal (start date 2/1) even though they give you your DD214 while on Terminal you can upload it. VA doesn't take it until 1 Day after EAS date Due to not be classified as a veteran until the day after. They take about 30-40 days to re open claims, check correct address, look over DD214 and make sure your banking info is correct. Once that's done you should see it open and will start to get benefits.
Now how they pay works: Your EAS +1 Day so in this example 3/1 would be the start date- 4/1 comes You wont see money because its always for the month before -2/1-2/28, 5/1 Comes it will be for 3/1-3/31.
Once you call they will tell you this exact breakdown.
Thanks! My retirement date was 3/31. I know it’ll likely take some time to actually start receiving my VA pay. Luckily I’ve already received my last check and sold back leave. I’ve been seeing people posting a lot lately that they can see their claim reopened on the same day they submit their dd214 so curious right now how long it’s taking. Prepared for it to be a couple months delay

Thanks! My retirement date was 3/31. I know it’ll likely take some time to actually start receiving my VA pay. Luckily I’ve already received my last check and sold back leave. I’ve been seeing people posting a lot lately that they can see their claim reopened on the same day they submit their dd214 so curious right now how long it’s taking. Prepared for it to be a couple months delay

Best thing I would say is call, Especially if you asked them to email you your decision letter while in the process. On that paper it does claim that it will be grated if nothing changed from your findings that day you send up your DD214. They are very helpful when you call.

Best thing I would say is call, Especially if you asked them to email you your decision letter while in the process. On that paper it does claim that it will be grated if nothing changed from your findings that day you send up your DD214. They are very helpful when you call.
I did, unfortunately they ‘didn’t know how the process worked’. Today my closed claims changed so hopefully it’s in the works. Will just have to wait it out

My guess is you will not see boo until about May 16 and the boo will be your first deposit.

My app updated a few days ago! Claim was reopened on 4/2 and am in the evidence gathering stage now