How long?

Hello all,

My package was sent to the PEB on October 26th. I'm just wondering if it's normal for it to take this long for me to get an unfit or fit decision. I've called the VA and they said they don't have anything in their system but also noted that it takes two weeks to process anything from the PEB. I called the PEB office at NMC Portsmouth the week before Thanksgiving and I was told to call back in December. I called back today and they told me to call back again in January. I just don't understand why it's taking so long for a decision on my Fitness for Duty. It's been 43 days.

Mine got sent the same day yours did and I keep getting the run around from everyone

Mine got sent the same day yours did and I keep getting the run around from everyone

It's frustrating because my PEBLO said I should have been able to find out my Fit/Unfit decision before Thanksgiving.

Mine was sent 24 Oct and I got my unfit finding on 30 Nov. should be soon!

I'm Navy also. Took 47 days for the VA to receive my information. Even then, there was no official "UNFIT" documentation. Only a strong indication due to the fact that the VA recieved information from the PEB and they wouldn't send it there if I was found FIT. I also had a new claim open up in Ebenefits, which prompted me to contact my PEBLO and she gave a verbal confirmation that I was found unfit.

Hope you get some news this week!

So I called the PEB office in DC & I was told that my package is currently sitting on the third & final officer's desk before it heads to "Quality Assurance". What exactly does this mean? Does the fact that it's at the final officer's desk mean that I was deemed unfit? Or?

My package was sent up the same day as yours was (Oct 26). I was told unfit by my PEBLO on Dec 13th, package was received by the VA on Dec 12th. Still waiting on ratings, I was told to call my PEBLO back in about 3 weeks. I'm USMC.

I'm currently in ipeb with spondylolysis of L5. My physical exam found no freedom of movement or range of motion issues. I have 14.5 years in The Air National Guard. What is my best outcome if found unfit. I really want to stay in.

My package was sent up the same day as yours was (Oct 26). I was told unfit by my PEBLO on Dec 13th, package was received by the VA on Dec 12th. Still waiting on ratings, I was told to call my PEBLO back in about 3 weeks. I'm USMC.

Looks like i'm running two days behind you, my package was received by the VA on Dec 14. My PEBLO also said call back in three weeks after the holidays.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you stationed? I'm USMC on Lejeune and according to MOL my PEB was accepted on 24 Oct and still haven't heard if I was found FIT/UNFIT. I called the VA and they said that they were still gathering evidence and when I called the PEB they said that I was in the "Quality Assurance" phase and that I would get my findings in 3 weeks. Can I assume from this that I was found UNFIT? Also, when I call/email my PEBLO the only thing he tells me is that I'll receive a phone call from a Gunny and he'll tell me my findings once they're in. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you stationed? I'm USMC on Lejeune and according to MOL my PEB was accepted on 24 Oct and still haven't heard if I was found FIT/UNFIT. I called the VA and they said that they were still gathering evidence and when I called the PEB they said that I was in the "Quality Assurance" phase and that I would get my findings in 3 weeks. Can I assume from this that I was found UNFIT? Also, when I call/email my PEBLO the only thing he tells me is that I'll receive a phone call from a Gunny and he'll tell me my findings once they're in. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

I'm also stationed in Lejeune. On my MOL, my PEB was accepted on Nov 4th. If your package has been received by the VA then you've been found unfit by the PEB and are just waiting on ratings to come back to your PEBLO. Have you checked eBenefits yet? I've also heard that if a claim opens up in Historical then your package is at the VA (calling the VA doesn't really tell you much because they won't say practically anything over the phone). On a side note, I'm also waiting for a call from a Gunny (GySgt Bliss I'm pretty sure). You can call him at the Medboard office and he can tell you way more than your PEBLO can, like where your package is, if they have proposed ratings yet, etc. It's at least worth a shot once the holidays are over!

I'm also stationed in Lejeune. On my MOL, my PEB was accepted on Nov 4th. If your package has been received by the VA then you've been found unfit by the PEB and are just waiting on ratings to come back to your PEBLO. Have you checked eBenefits yet? I've also heard that if a claim opens up in Historical then your package is at the VA (calling the VA doesn't really tell you much because they won't say practically anything over the phone). On a side note, I'm also waiting for a call from a Gunny (GySgt Bliss I'm pretty sure). You can call him at the Medboard office and he can tell you way more than your PEBLO can, like where your package is, if they have proposed ratings yet, etc. It's at least worth a shot once the holidays are over!

abbigeebie, thanks for that. I monitor EBennies daily and as of now, I have nothing showing in the historical section. Under "status of your claim" it says gathering of evidence. Under request 1, it says due date: 01/13/2017 with status: needed. Under the write up for needed it says that I need to update my banking information (which I did over two weeks ago). Then, under request 2, it says due date: not available and status: initial review complete at the VA medical facility. I'm aware that it isn't common for two med boards to run exactly the same, but with my EBennies saying the things that I stated above, how is it possible that when I call the VA they tell me it's in the pending decision approval phase and when I called the PEB, they told me that it was at the quality assurance phase and it would be a few weeks until I get my findings. I'm just confused.

What updates or information have you gotten? Since our packages were sent up around the same time.

Last edited:
My timeline is in my signature. mine took a while but I received favorable results. patients is really hard to come by but keep reminding yourself that this part is not forever.

abbigeebie, thanks for that. I monitor EBennies daily and as of now, I have nothing showing in the historical section. Under "status of your claim" it says gathering of evidence. Under request 1, it says due date: 01/13/2017 with status: needed. Under the write up for needed it says that I need to update my banking information (which I did over two weeks ago). Then, under request 2, it says due date: not available and status: initial review complete at the VA medical facility. I'm aware that it isn't common for two med boards to run exactly the same, but with my EBennies saying the things that I stated above, how is it possible that when I call the VA they tell me it's in the pending decision approval phase and when I called the PEB, they told me that it was at the quality assurance phase and it would be a few weeks until I get my findings. I'm just confused.

What updates or information have you gotten? Since our packages were sent up around the same time.
Yikes, yours is very different from mine. I never saw two claims open in my eBenefits page - it went straight to historical after the site had some issues displaying my information. I contacted the VA and they said that they have my proposed ratings completed but can't fax them to me until 10 days after they sent them to my PEBLO. And naturally, my PEBLO is taking a holiday break and won't be back until Jan 5th so I can't ask him if he got anything back from the VA yet (which he should have). VA didn't mention anything about phases. I am curious so will most likely call again, and if they give me any new info I'll be sure to post.

If you don't mind me asking, have you gotten any news yet?

If you don't mind me asking, have you gotten any news yet?
Yes I did! Sorry for not keeping my timeline updated.

I got a phone call that my findings were in on the 30th but because of the holiday, I had to go in and sign for my findings on the 3rd. I accepted them and they were sent back to the PEB the same day. Just waiting for my new EAS to post!

Also, to anyone that lives and dies by EBenefits updates, I wouldn't if I were you. I have already accepted my findings and my EBenefits still has nothing under Historical Claims and my claim is still "Gathering of Evidence" with it still prompting me to input my banking information.

Reactions: jmm