How will TDRL decision affect my VA Disability?

Bwaters

Registered Member
Hello,

I apologize if this is discussed somewhere else, i am new and uneducated lol I was active duty Army for about 4 years where i was placed on TDRL in Feb 2015. I left with a DOD rating of 40% and automatically assigned 60% with the VA. I have had one DOD TDRL Re eval about a year ago where they continued my waiting period. I have been active with the VA and shortly after i was placed on TDRL i was assigned a 80% VA rating.

In short, my question is this; i understand the outcome decisions of TDRL but i am unaware of how they would affect my VA pay. If my condition has stabilized and i got better, and i was discharged from TDRL, what happens to my VA disability rating of 80%? If however, i am put on PDRL, what will happen to my VA disability?

I appreciate any simple answers here lol thank you!

Hello,

I apologize if this is discussed somewhere else, i am new and uneducated lol I was active duty Army for about 4 years where i was placed on TDRL in Feb 2015. I left with a DOD rating of 40% and automatically assigned 60% with the VA. I have had one DOD TDRL Re eval about a year ago where they continued my waiting period. I have been active with the VA and shortly after i was placed on TDRL i was assigned a 80% VA rating.

In short, my question is this; i understand the outcome decisions of TDRL but i am unaware of how they would affect my VA pay. If my condition has stabilized and i got better, and i was discharged from TDRL, what happens to my VA disability rating of 80%? If however, i am put on PDRL, what will happen to my VA disability?

I appreciate any simple answers here lol thank you!
Welcome to the PEB Forum! :)

Bottom line is that any decision provided by the DoD LDES PEB (Army) while placed on the TDRL to include all mandated TDRL re-evaluations shall only effect your military disability retired pay. Also while on the TDRL, your DoD (Army) disability rating doesn't change regardless of any changes in your PEB-referred "unfit for duty" medical condition(s).

If applicable, when ultimately placed on the PDRL by the DoD LDES PEB (Army) due to your PEB-referred "unfit for duty" condition(s) being finally determined as "permanent and stable" for DoD rating purposes only, you shall continue to receive military disability retired pay at the appropriate DoD (Army) rating adjudicated by the LDES PEB in accordance with the schedule of ratings criteria as annotated in 38 CFR VASRD.

As such, the receipt of all DoVA disability compensation provided at the 80% disability rating shall continue to be paid by the DoVA VBA while currently placed on the DoD military TDRL and any potential future placement (if applicable) onto the DoD military PDRL. Take care!

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer!"

Best Wishes!

Excellent reply by Warrior 644...

As indicated, receipt of VA compensation is not predicated by entitlement to retired pay. I suspect that most VA compensation recipients are NOT eligible for retired pay.

Ron

A caveat, some VA ratings are permanent while others or temporary. While a change in DoD rating does not directly affect VA, VA can re-rate temporary conditions. Check your VA percentages to see if contentions are permanent or temporary for each rated contention. If all are permanent ratings, you are GTG.