I am thinking about denying medical hold, should I?

harjoe

Registered Member
My doc has been saying that he is going to initiate an MEB on me for almost a year because I have been on multiple profiles for back issues. I am totally fine with being boarded, the problem is that due to him dragging his feet, I am still not code 37 and the end of my enlistment is in august 2018. I went before the DAWG last month and I am being told that I am definitely going to be boarded. At this point, the board will almost certainly go past my date of separation, which is a problem because I am already applying to colleges and I have zero interest in staying in past my DOS.

I am considering denying medical hold when the time comes(assuming that it comes to that), but I don't know how that works. Does the Med board continue after I separate or would I be essentially giving up the med board and disability compensation? Does anyone have any experience with this? Also, I am enlisted active duty.

I am also looking for any information about expedited PEBLOs(i read that DPAMM can do this).

Any information or advice is greatly appreciated.

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Expedited processing is for the very seriously injured/ill. I'm not sure you can decline a medical hold. Nor would I suggest you do so. If you have a unfitting condition rated at >= 30% you would be walking a way from lifetime insurance.

harjoe

Registered Member
Thank you for your response sir. I am reading AFI 41-210 4.53.1.6.3. Enlisted SMs may refuse Medical Hold beyond their Date of Separation (DOS) or Expiration of Term of Service (ETS), and must agree, in writing, to a Medical Hold. For officers, Medical Hold does not require consent, but DPAMM may request consent in writing. The PEBLO must contact DPAMM immediately when notified that a SM may decline Medical Hold.

I might be interpreting this wrong, but it seems like refusing medical hold is possible. But if refusing it means also refusing the med board then it is definitely a bad idea. It just seems like if the med board has already been started, they would be able to finish it up after I separate, but that might be wishful thinking.

gsfowler

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Yes, you can deny the MEB, it will have to be done in writing and you will be counseled about the potential loss of entitlements. The process takes about a month to administratively happen.

There are circumstances while you are in the MEB process, in which you are able to attend school while still on active duty, I was able to do this (Army though).

You may want to talk to the Ombudsman or AFW2 (800)-581-9437 and ask them if they can support you.

harjoe

Registered Member
Thank you for your reply. When you say "potential loss of entitlements", will I be giving up only DOD benefits and still be able to apply for disability through the VA?

chaplaincharlie

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Thanks for the clarification. It is odd that officers can not reject medical hold but enlisted can.

Yes you can get VA without going through an MEB, but to get full medical care through the VA you must be 50% or more service connected. With VA medical care your are more restricted than with Tricare,

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">